Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2011, 07:05 AM   #1
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
Send a message via Yahoo to hikerdoc
Furnace vs gas regulator issue

On our last trip of the season last weekend, had an issue with the furnace. The furnace would come on OK, the burners would run about 20 seconds, then cut out completely before relighting and burning another 20 seconds etc. We noticed that when it did this while the stove was on, the stove burner flame would become very small, then return to normal when the furnace burners cut out. The furnace issue occurred however regardless of any additional load on the gas supply. We replaced the regulator last year due to low gas flow issues. Does this sound like another regulator problem? BTW both tanks were about 3/4 full at the time this occurred. Thanks alot for the input.

hikerdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
gr8330
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11715
Have you tried shutting off the tanks and all the gas appliances? Wait a minute or two then turn on the first tank very slowly do the same with the second tank. Now try to lite the stove top burners. There is a leak detector in the gas line that sometimes will activate if the tank is turned on too fast or if it thinks there is a leak.
gr8330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:06 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I wouldn't think you have a problem with the leak detection or the stove would not continue to burn. Which regulator did you replace? I think I would shut the tank off on the drivers side and run off the curb side tank. If the problem goes away I would guess the regulator on the drivers side is bad. If the problem persist I would guess it to be in the two stage regulator on the curb side. Let us know what you find. Jim
Old 10-06-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
If you have an 18 psi regulator on the passenger side, that could be the problem. I just replaced my 18 psi regulator with a 30 psi regulator from Marshall Brass. Many have done this change with positive results. Good luck.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
What you describe is what was happening to me. I replaced the Fairview changeover regulator and the problem was fixed. Less than $30.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
As an update, I tried both tanks and it looks like the drivers side tank is not reading any outflow from the regulator despite being fairly full. Unsure yet if its the regulator or the line but at least it gives me a direction. Thanks for all of your inputs
Old 10-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I'd switch the tanks from side to side to see if the problem follows the tank. If the problem follows it could be the OPD on that tank. Sometimes the overfill protection device may stick in the closed position. Some have had success by dropping the tank on its' bottom from about a foot off the ground. Reinstall the tank and then open the valve real slow. Good luck, Jim
Old 10-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #8
hikerdoc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10717
As a follow up to above, I took the Monty to the dealership as I had to get winterization done anyway. They found a kink in the gas line coming from the drivers side tank limiting the gas flow from that side. Weird finding, line replaced and working properly now. Earlier this year, my son hit the Monty near that tank with his 4 wheeler. Possibly the cause although the dent didn't penetrate the tank cabinet. Very strange. Thanks alot for everyone's input.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:43 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Glad you got it fixed, that was a difficult one to diagnose, but it did appear to be a gas supply problem with the flame lowering on the stove when the furnace starting up.
It seems to always be something with these rigs.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote