Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Adding the front AC. Which vent did they use?

I was pretty sure I was going to use the most forward vent as I was assuming that was what the factory would have done. I looked around here for pics but came up empty. Eithef directly above rear of bed or centered in front of the sink in the middle of the room.

2000 Montana 3255RL

Thanks... Gary

Guvner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
On my 2006 Monty, the outlet providing the 110v in the "second A/C prep" is next to the most forward vent, so your assumption is very sound. That's where it would have gone at the factory. However the vent is not connected to the existing ductwork which happens to be some distance towards the passenger side and more difficult than I would want to mess with. It can be done, but why bother, here's why:

I would put an independent A/C unit that drops air into the bedroom unit so that if more cooling is needed in the rig the bedroom area gets it all from this new unit. Being this room is somewhat elevated this air would also drop into the middle of the rig to provide some cooling. I would also try and find a way to cover the existing down vents in the Bedroom area to block them so that the rear A/C provides more air to the middle and rear living areas since this area gets its cooling from the new unit.

I have to say you guessed right!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
On our 2010, 3455sa, the dealer installed it directly above the bed in the vent.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
You probably have to put in the living area as from other post I don't think they prewired the bedroom and if it is 30 amp the biggest you can use is 13500 BTU.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Mine was installed by the factory and was in the vent over the bed. Dometic 13500 and I added the heat strip.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Over the Bed, ducted into the main system, but has the quick cool face plate that when opened dumps 95% of the cold air onto the Bed.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
NASCARon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4082
We had ours installed in our bedroom directly over the bed. The ac unit has to be installed on the vent that is wired and framed for an ac unit.
NASCARon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Mine is done. I used an extension ladder with my ladder hoist (good to 300 lbs.) Very neat little deal. I just backed up the pickup with the AC on it. Unpacked the box and ran the steel cable down from the ladder hoist making it go on all 4 sides before connecting the ring back to the middle. Hoisted it up and set it on cardboard. Had already removed vent and filled in screw holes with some Dicor earlier in the day. Slid it over the hole and tightened up according to factory instructions. Went down inside the camper and made sure of positioning and then tightened plate. Assembled and connected to #12 2 wire with ground Romex wire and ran wire to sub-panel I had replaced 230 wire supply to dryer with. Previous owner had ran 3 wire, #10 copper with a ground Romex to 30 amp dryer receptacle. I put the sub-panel there in its place, running the supply wire through on to a new dryer receptacle. (no additional breaker since it was originally already protected by the two pole breaker at the front subpanel from factory.) I did add 4 breakers, using only one of them for the 20 amp service asked for by the new air conditioner knowing I can't run both at the same time without kicking the breaker. I may add another duplex receptacle in that room since it's across from the sink for hair dryers, etc. when the dryer isn't being used. I have pictures of the whole installation and may post them up here when I get a chance. The way this is set up you can definitely run both of the AC's at the same time any time you are tied up to a 50 amp service. The dryer is taken out anyway when you only have a 30 amp hookup. I feel it's very safe since it didn't actually negate the coverage of the breaker but simply added an extra circuit for the 11,000 BTU, 9 amp AC on a smaller breaker for use when not using the dryer, mainly at night when you wouldn't think of running the dryer in the same room. If you manage to try to run both you'll simply trip the 230 VAC breaker in the front that is run in the proper size of wire to the dryer.

G..
Old 06-15-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Your gonna love that new AC up there! I know we love ours!
Old 06-15-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Nice! Mine is prewired but it would be great if you posted pictures. I can always appreciate someone else's handiwork.

Now you can camp in Death Valley in summer as long as you can find 50 amp (or bring your own). Okay, okay, maybe not Death Valley in summer, but certainly most of the other popular places in summer when it's not.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Here's a view of the new AC from the bathroom sink. I've not figured out how to post a picture on this forum other then provide a link. Probably have to read something and I'm pretty lazy. http://www.stlaware.com/camperac/anotherview.jpg

A view looking up from the bed. http://www.stlaware.com/camperac/bedview.jpg

A view of the hole before installation. http://www.stlaware.com/camperac/ventremoval.jpg

A view of the new panel above the dryer including the new dryer receptacle. http://www.stlaware.com/camperac/newpanel.jpg

The unit on the roof after install. http://www.stlaware.com/camperac/roofinstall.jpg

My Montana with new AC on front as well as new slider awnings. http://www.stlaware.com/camperac/montana.jpg

That's it...

Gary
Old 06-16-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Nice looking install Gary. Since that is not a low profile A/C don't forget you have added another couple of feet to your total height of the rig. You will need to be more mindful of that going down the road.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:33 AM   #13
Guvner
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10832
Never really thought about it. I'll give it a measure so I know. It's only about 12 inches tall though so a couple of feet would be an overkill. I kind of expected it to be smaller too but it's supposed to be a high efficiency 11,000 BTU but it seems to be almost as high as my 15,000 so I guess the extra coil the high efficiency units have is coming into play.