Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
Wet bolts

Since I allready have the lipert version of the ezflex can I just change the bolts and shackels to the heavier shackels and wet bolts?
Can not seem to find the kit that only allows me to do this from dexter?

jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #2
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Think you could probably call them to get the right parts?! (260) 636-5311 or (260) 636-2195

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
With the kit from dexter you will get the new standard equalizer with a grease fitting. could'nt you just not use it and install the rest of the kit with your ezflex. I paided less than 100$ for mine and installed them myself JMHO.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Not quite sure what you are asking, but think you just want wet bolts, bushings, and shackles. If so, you can call Dexter and get the part numbers for these parts and order them from a distributor rather than from Dexter direct. If my count is correct, you need 6 wet bolts, 6 brass bushings, 2 pairs of heavy duty shackles per side.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
I was just researchinig the very same question the other day. It led me to the trailair website. They only have two kits listed. Ones for two axles the other for a tri axle. I would think that this would NOT be a one size fits all type of deal. So a phone call may be in order here. Here is a link to the page on the website you need to look at.

http://www.trailair.com/products/equaflex/pricing.php

Later,
Ren
Old 01-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Let me clarify, a "kit" probably includes parts you don't need, such as a equalizer. If all you want is bolts, bushings, and shackles, you don't need the expense of an entire kit.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:48 AM   #7
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Wow... their website is down now... Figures, right after I post something useful for once. Edit... it seems back up now.

Stiles... before the link broke there were two kits. One for 46 bucks and another for a tri axle for 75 I think.

For 46 bucks I would say give it a try.

PN# EQ WB2
Wet Bolt kit for tandem axle - 14 wet bolts/nuts, 8 brass sleeves

Just noticed no 1/2 inch shackels listed in that kit tho.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If it were me, I would not bother with the wet bolts unless I was also replacing the OEM shackles with the Heavy duty shackles. The reasons have been discussed at length in past posts, some by me, some by others.

It sounds like that if the bolts are the right length to handle the thicker shackles, all you would need to do is buy 8 pairs of shackles to go with the bolt and bushing kit.

When I did my first shackle job on my 2003 Big Sky, I bought and installed a kit that included all the wet bolts and bushings needed plus new equalizers with zerks.

My 2008 Big Sky came with the Mor/Ryde RE equalizer, so when I did a shackle job on it, The kit purchased from Mor/ryde came with all the bolts, bushings and modified Mor/Ryde parts to handle the wet bolts at the equalizer.

I helped a fellow MOCer install a kit that included a shock absorbing equalizer designed to be used with wet bolts. So when one talks about "kits", it is easy to get misinformation or misunderstand whether it is an "apple or an orange."

If one has a tandem wheel system, before you contact a tech or salesman, there are some things you need to be able to tell him.
  • Distance between the axles
  • What kind of equalizing mechanism you have, i.e, standard equalizer, or some brand of shock absorbing equalizer?
  • Are you looking for heavy duty shackles or OEM shackles?
  • Do you want to upgrade your equalizer?
I find you often have to work to make sure that the tech or salesperson listens to what you are saying instead of making assumptions.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 AM   #9
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Got a couple of questions for some of you "experts"
~ What exactly is the advantage or improvement from "wet" bolts.
~ Assuming that they allow you to somehow lube the shackle bolts...but how do they work?
~ My High Country has the Equaflex equalizer...would I benefit from heavier duty shackles and wet bolts? I will be upgrading the tires soon after delivery (actually picking it up soon) and would consider other mods for improved handling, reliability etc.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #10
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Read the book and saw the movies, makes all the sense in the world to upgrade to "wet bolts". Best safety upgrade you can make with the exception of a tire upgrade.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:11 AM   #11
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
OEM bushings are nylon and supposedly don't need lubrication. Trouble is the the nylon bushings flatten or "flow" due to the weight of the rig. So the nylon bushing will deteriorate whether you put a great deal of mileage on your rig. When the bushings flatten, the bolt and shackles begin to wear (there are a number of pictures on earlier posts).

OEM shackles are about 5/16" thick while the heavy duty ones are 1/2". This allows for a safety margin of wear before there might be a failure.

Brass bushings don't flatten from pressure, but need lubrication bringing on the need for "wet" bolts. "Wet" bolts have zerk fittings that allow for that lube. How they work? There is a small hole drilled into the bolt and out the side allowing for the grease to be squeezed between the bushing and the bolt through the zerk fitting.

After seeing the amount of wear on my two rigs, I would not hesitate to go to wet bolts, brass bushings, and heavy duty shackles as an upgrade and preventative measure. The wear on my rig was not due to any abuse or neglect, just plain wear and tear. Since I am a full timer, I baby my rig.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kingdaddy

Got a couple of questions for some of you "experts"
~ What exactly is the advantage or improvement from "wet" bolts.
~ Assuming that they allow you to somehow lube the shackle bolts...but how do they work?
~ My High Country has the Equaflex equalizer...would I benefit from heavier duty shackles and wet bolts? I will be upgrading the tires soon after delivery (actually picking it up soon) and would consider other mods for improved handling, reliability etc.
Kingdaddy, Check you new High Country. I think I read on this forum that the new Monty's are coming equiped with the new wet bolts and heavier shackles. Could be the same for the High Country. Jim
Old 02-02-2011, 03:13 PM   #13
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
OK, for some reason I didn't think it did so I ordered a set from Tweetys today...just the wet bolt kit, not shackles for $49. May upgrade to the shackles and maybe one of MorRydes Xfactor cross braces. Really like the idea of stout running gear!
Side note: also ordered a MorRyde pinbox and proper capture plate for my Superglide from Tweetys.
Thanks for the great explanation of the wet bolts, I can see how it would be a good upgrade. IMO, should just come that way from the factory!
Old 02-02-2011, 03:57 PM   #14
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
If I was going to tear things apart I would do the whole thing. Then you wouldn't have woeey about it again. I changed for the whole kit. My plastic bushings were shot nd I don't pul mine as much as most of you do, smartest thing i have done.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Kingdaddy if you don't get the shackles in the kit I would not change the rest till I had time to get them. It is well worth the wait for a few days for them. I also don't know if the bolts will work without the shackels. It is alot of work to do and not change them. my whole kit was less than 100.00$ JMHO
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 04:26 AM   #16
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
OK thanks for that advice...I will look into it a bit more. Kind of hard to be sure since I don't even have the trailer yet!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #17
FLtravelers
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11152
Sounds like this is something I should do when/if I need to get my axles replaced.
FLtravelers is offline   Reply With Quote