Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2011, 04:23 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Portable Dish came in today...

Sue and I were giggling like a couple of school kids. 7 days 8 net-flicks later and we are back in biz..
It came in pieces, we bolted everything together, had no clue what we were doing, the instructions were horrible, not even for the tripod mounting system like we got. Had to Internet the Horizontal and vertical stuff, never did figure out the tilt. We used a compass, eyeballed 161 Degrees, and came in, turned on the TV, stumbled through the checks and wham! the Helo-loggers were on.
I drilled a hole in a nearby stump, screwed an eye-bolt in and secured the thing with a cable and lock.
Ahhh, we are back in TV land.
I did get to read some Sherlock Holmes stories on my new Kendal while we were TV-less.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Ozz when using a portable dish I use dishpointer.com for coordinates. It is the best program that I have used.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 02:26 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I will look that up posthaste, as I seem to be missing a satellite. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
How many LNB's on that thing??? and only 1 cable to the RV! Looks good to me.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello Ozz

We had the setup you just got. When we got up into north Oregon the process of pointing the dish became difficult. Most probably because of the trees etc. So I purchased a portable automatic dish. In my case the best thing I ever did. Now when we arrive and get spotted on a parking spot I put the automatic disk out where it can see the southern sky lock it to something substantial with a bicycle lack and then go about the rest of getting ready for the stay. When I am finished and have all the electric and water etc hooked up the wife is already watching TV.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Hi Tim, The sat company I bought it from said that they used to have to have 2 cables, but now only one is required. It is a HD Direct TV, 3 LNB's

We do have an automatic dish on the Monte, this one is just when there are trees in the way. I really don't think there is an automatic 'Traveler' Dish that is portable. (HD Direct TV)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:28 AM   #7
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
OZZ,
That dish has 5 lnb's, and if you are only using one reciever only 1 cable is required and if you have what they call swm switch you can watch one channel and record another.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

OZZ,
That dish has 5 lnb's, and if you are only using one reciever only 1 cable is required and if you have what they call swm switch you can watch one channel and record another.
Bill
By Jove, I believe you are right. It only has 3 of those Knobby things sticking out, so I counted them.
Yep, we got the SWM switch with the 'Tailgater Kit' from the dish supply co.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Ozz, check out Lowes or Home Depot, they have the CST/Berger surveyors tripods for about 70 bucks. Way easier to setup and get level than that roofers special...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:17 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Dave but spending any more money on this deal is out of the question, I need my head examined at this point anyway...
Old 06-17-2011, 01:31 AM   #11
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Ozz,
From your picture of the dish, it looks like you don't have the tilt set on it? Depends on where you are. Your receiver should have a program on it for setting dish......just have to punch in your zip where you are..& settings will be on your tv.
Hope that helps.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 03:33 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

Ozz,
From your picture of the dish, it looks like you don't have the tilt set on it? Depends on where you are. Your receiver should have a program on it for setting dish......just have to punch in your zip where you are..& settings will be on your tv.
Hope that helps.

Roy
Roy, you are scaring me.... Ha! you are 'spot on', when I snapped this photo in a giddy moment just after we set it up, I had no tilt. That's why I didn't have that last 'Bird'.
Hookman gave me a link to a great site, I was able to zoom in on my exact trailer site here, (#4) in Loveland.
I gave it some reverse tilt and then lost all of them... But I fooled around with it some more and got it right.
You have a keen eye my friend.
Ozz
Old 06-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #13
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Lambchop

Ozz,
Hope that helps.

Roy
Roy, you are scaring me.... Ha! you are 'spot on', when I snapped this photo in a giddy moment just after we set it up, I had no tilt. That's why I didn't have that last 'Bird'.
Hookman gave me a link to a great site, I was able to zoom in on my exact trailer site here, (#4) in Loveland.
I gave it some reverse tilt and then lost all of them... But I fooled around with it some more and got it right.
You have a keen eye my friend.
Ozz
Ozz,
I have been setting our dish now for 5 years with just a compass & a SWR meter. I get fooled sometimes & don't get it right..finally bought one of those Birdog Meters from Ebay...No more guess work!
Always right on in only 5 minutes!

Have a great day!

Roy
Old 06-17-2011, 04:36 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Birdog, Birdog.... seems like it should have another 'd' in there somewhere.. anyway, I just placed an order with Amazon for a battery and 120 volt charger (left mine at home for the Sierra Hotspot) It fun buying stuff, not so much paying for it.
Could I ask how much? I like to buy from Amazon if possible. I will go there and look.
Thanks!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:

Birdog, Birdog.... seems like it should have another 'd' in there somewhere.. anyway, I just placed an order with Amazon for a battery and 120 volt charger (left mine at home for the Sierra Hotspot) It fun buying stuff, not so much paying for it.
Could I ask how much? I like to buy from Amazon if possible. I will go there and look.
Thanks!
Ozz,
I bought a like new Version 3 for $140 on ebay. Of course you have to watch who your buying from because there are crooks on ebay. My dish is a SWM type like yours, so I had to buy a standard Lnb (not SWM) & I have to put that on when setting the dish up. It may sound like a pain, but really nothing to it. A installer friend told me about this. The SWM LNB requires 21 volts...not enough for this meter. They do sell Birdog Meters that will work on the SWM dish, but cost prohibitive for me..$599!
Yes, Birdog is spelled right................
Oh yea, it helps Not to have a beer until your done with the alighment of the dish!LOL

Roy
Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I didn't need a beer, I needed a nerve pill
I saw that the nice meters were pricy, so I went to the site: http://www.sadoun.com/ where I got my Sat. stuff and got this:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Accessories/Meters/SF95LK-DSS-Satellite-Signal-meter-Kit.htm
I hope it will be OK to use. Hey, 'they' say is is, 'they' never lie do they? ;0
Old 06-17-2011, 07:12 AM   #17
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Quote:

I didn't need a beer, I needed a nerve pill
I saw that the nice meters were pricy, so I went to the site: http://www.sadoun.com/ where I got my Sat. stuff and got this:
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Accessories/Meters/SF95LK-DSS-Satellite-Signal-meter-Kit.htm
I hope it will be OK to use. Hey, 'they' say is is, 'they' never lie do they? ;0
This a good starting point. I used this setup for 5 years. It will Not tell you which bird you are on....so depend on a very compass to find 101.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Good luck with the meter OZZ. As Lambchop says, it will not differentiate between sats. You could be locked onto a sat BUT it may not be the correct Sat. My BIL did that all the time and couldn't figure out what he was doing. He got really frustrated. He would be off 20 degrees on azimuth swearing he was on the correct sat. I would turn his dish to align with the compass settings and it usually came in right away. He just doesn't get the correlation between proper alignment and signal strength. I have the Traveller auto dish but carry the portable also and have had to use it several times and I absolutely hate that little signal finder. You may get used to it, hopefully, but if not the Birdog is the way to go if you only have the port dish. Having both dishes gives you many options when parking. With just the Traveller you are somewhat limited as to which site you take, IF you want to watch TV. The nicer spots are usually under the trees facilitating the portable dish. Good luck and have fun!!!!!! I did find that setting the tripod absolutely plumb really helps the alignment process. Just saying!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:39 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
A little hint. Set the tilt first, then the altitude (these can be set while the antenna is off of the tripod). If the set-up is level (vitally important), then the obvious last step is to set the azimuth. As long as tilt and elevation are correct, you can fine tune the azimuth very easily by a little to the right, little to the left process. I used a cheapo Camping World tripod and using this set-up procedure made life a lot easier!! Sorry to hear about the Travler not working where you are at, Ozz! Makes me feel that I misled you a little since I have yet to experience that anywhere.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:25 AM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
The type of work I do...did, 'Plumb' is a first rule, drives me crazy to see something not. Sue pokes me when I straighten pictures in the RV check in office.
We did pretty good for not knowing what the heck we were doing the first time out, as Stiles stated, we are retired, more time to do things with no pressure. With the rooftop auto-setup, most times we will leave it stowed, but with the meter, and the nice bar-graph on the receiver, I think we should be OK. I hated to spend the $30.00 or so for it even. I just told Dave I wouldn't be spending more $$...

New Crisis: Mouse on top of washer-dryer eating my stash of Peanut-butter cookies.
Trip last night to Lowe's for 10 mouse-traps. I will be working on something now, reach in and snap my pinkie...