Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
How well are you flushing your Black Tank?

I found a great YouTube video demonstrating different methods of cleaning/dumping your black tank. How clean is your tank?

Systems tested are: The Sewer Solution - The RV Hydroflush - The Flush King - The Tornado Rotary Tank Rinser

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #2
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Does anyone know the "Brand" of the flushing system that comes standard on the Montana?
Old 03-18-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our built in one does a good enough job for me. I'm sure there are better out there, but ours gets it clean enough for us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #4
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Very interesting and exactly why I scrapped our Sewer Solution after 5 years and $275 to have the tank power cleaned. Initially I thought it was a good idea to eliminate the Stinky Slinky, but you can never get your tank adequately cleaned using one.
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I just use the factory rinser and back fill the tank about 3 or 4 times when rinsing. Have had good results with this along with using Calgon & Happy Camper. Interesting results he got from the other rinsing devices.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
jasonreaume
Established Member

M.O.C. #17160
Packer fan, do you just close the black valve and let it fill back up 3/4's while you are flush cleaning the tank from the outside? Its my understanding the black tank is a closed system and by adding water with no relief (ie the toilet open or the black valve open) there is chance of failure somewhere.
jasonreaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:29 PM   #7
Virginia Young
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14096
The black tank has a vent pipe.
Virginia Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I flush mine every other dump until clear water with no solids is observed through the clear exit pipe fitting. I'm not going to drink or eat out of it!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The OEM flusher still seems to work pretty well on ours. After draining the black tank, I turn on the flush, let it run until it is clear, close the black tank valve with flush still on, let the flush run for 2-3 minutes, open the black tank valve until it runs clear, repeat. If not leaving the park, I will do it 2-3 times. If getting ready to head out I may do it 4-5 times. The first couple times I get extra solids and brown water out. But each successive time it gets less and less.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:36 PM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MikeM

Very interesting and exactly why I scrapped our Sewer Solution after 5 years and $275 to have the tank power cleaned. Initially I thought it was a good idea to eliminate the Stinky Slinky, but you can never get your tank adequately cleaned using one.
Interesting. How do you "power clean" the black tank?
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I flush ours with the onboard flush running while dumping the black tank. I have put an extra valve at the end of the discharge pipe outside. I close it and close the valve at the tank. I then leave the onboard flush running and fill the tank for about 5 minutes, open both valves again and repeat this another time. I then dump the kitchen gray tank cleaning out the slinky somewhat. I then close those valves open the black tank valve in the convenient center and open the bathroom gray tank valve. The water from the gray tank flows into the drain line, backs up to the black tank and flows into it washing the black tank from the opposite the exit. It will stir up some of the solids in the bottom of the black tank and then I open the outer valve and drain the water from both the black and gray tank together while running the onboard flush. This give me some extra water to push what has been loosened by the gray water backflowing into the black tank. I do put either a clear 45* section or a straight clear section on the outlet pipe to watch for solids. By the time I'm done it is running clear and feel the tank is relatively clean BUT you'll have to ask Paul Kelpe about how clean the black tank actually is even if you think it is clean. I do the same as Scott(PackerFan) and use either powdered or liquid calgon and Happy Camper additive to break down the solids as much as possible before rinsing.

If I were the designer of the dump valve and pipes from the black tank, I would connect it out of the bottom of the tank instead of out the end or side of the tank. This would give a better chance to really empty the tank instead of leaving an inch or so of sludge in the bottom of the tank. Oh well, maybe in my next life!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
As Rondo has pointed out that extra knife valve at the outlet of your sewer system gives you many ways to change the dumping process, not to mention protection from getting that little surprise when you take the cap off.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:39 PM   #13
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
On our 3725, our galley tank is about 6 inches or so higher up in the frame than the black tank. I installed a shutoff valve on the sewer outlet so I could divert water around in the tank systems. I dump the black tank first, while running the flush system. After that, I close the shutoff valve at the outlet, leave the black tank valve open, and open the galley tank (tank being full) and let it backwash into the black tank. Then I open the end of line valve again and let it go. Surprising how much more comes out that way. Final hose washout is done with the bath/shower tank water.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #14
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
We fill out tank with left over hot water before dumping. Usually do the ice trick between campgrounds. Plus using copious amounts of Calgon Water softener has kept them very clean.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 06:42 PM   #15
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
One advantage of being a "non-full timer" is I can fill my black tank nearly to the top, add some septic-safe, and let it sit for 2-3 weeks to break down all the crud stuck in the tank. I have to do this in the spring or fall before or after my first or last use for the year. The septic tank treatments are awesome and effective, but they take weeks to work fully.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:28 AM   #16
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I add some dishwasher detergent & water softener between stops when on the road with about a quarter tank of water. I'm not too concerned about having it spotless as I don't worry about the sticks & bricks septic tank either (just have it pumped out every four years). In spite of that video, I know ice cubes will work when used right. Our Montana had a pyramid in the black tank when we bought it used and nothing else would get dissolve it. I put three ten bound bags of ice, some dishwasher detergent & water softener, and about an eighth tank of water in it and drove it three hundred miles on a short vacation. No more pyramid.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:40 AM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
It seems we have had better luck with the Flush King. I keep grays closed while dumping black. Then I do several backfills of black tank until it runs clear. This seems to be a much faster more efficient method than using the OEM eternal flush system. About every other time I will flush the gray tanks individually after finishing (and closing) the black tank. Good think we never have to pay for water!
Old 03-19-2015, 02:32 AM   #18
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
I saw in another video where they use Automatic Dish Washing fluid in the tanks. Now that makes sense. It is kind of gritty and breaks down the oils. Add that to your tanks, add water then drive around to clean the tanks. Your thoughts?
Old 03-19-2015, 05:40 PM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
here is what my Montana came with for the flush.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:44 PM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Might work Darnell but the biggest problem is that the outlet pipe in the black tank is not at the bottom of the tank but on the end where the tank slopes down. The problem with this is that the pipe is about an inch or more up from the bottom of the tank thus leaving about an inch or more of sludge in the bottom no matter what you do to rinse your tank there is always going to be some of the crud in the bottom that does not wash or rinse out. Dishwasher fluid or powder may take out the grease and oil but it will not break down the solids and that is the important thing in the black tank. As I said earlier I use Calgon and Happy Camper tank additive and those two combined work well for me. The Calgon softens the water and makes the sides of the tank a little more slick so the solids and paper will not stick to them. The Happy Camper breaks down the solids and paper for an easier flush.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote