Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #21
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jackandh2o

I was going to use Tony Orlando, but I will get Dawn.

Again, thanks to all.

Ray
Are you saying that dawn will give the roof the Ultra Violet protection that is needed as a sealer?

Old 05-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #22
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
My memory is shot, but, I thought I remembered that they said that the UV protection stuff lasted, like less than 30 days?? Al decided it was not worth his expenditure of energy and just washes. Blue Dawn, a brush that is not soft, but has some oooomphhhh to it. Scrubb, scrubb, rinse, rinse. Walk away, smile while it looks good, enjoy while it looks good. In a month or so, it will be getting dirty again. There are stains up there that will not come off, we don't see em, so we can ignore them. He does do inspections of seams, and all that around vents BEFORE he washes. I believe I hear mumbling of, "life is too short -----" ???? KISS, Keep it Simple S-----, works a lot in the Stevens' household. Blue Dawn is KISS.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:15 AM   #23
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
There is also another thread going which is similar about cleaning the roof. I posted a photo on it as to cleaning it today.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...98&whichpage=1
Old 05-19-2008, 06:17 AM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I believe Carol has hit the nail on the head. The brush I used was the good old fashioned kind that used to be used for scrubbing floors. I don't think it fits the bill as soft or medium bristles, because if I scratched my head with it, it would most likely remove hair as well as scalp!!! Elbow grease and stiff bristles is the key!! This information is presented as my opinion based on my sore arms (experience) and is not provided with any warranty or guarantees. The only guarantee is that if done properly and you have any kind of filth atop the Monty (this was our rigs first roof bath) you will most likely be guaranteed to have sore arms!!!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 07:02 AM   #25
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Hey I wouldn't say that I'm any smarter than anyone else but I used a brush on a stick. I stood up while I brushed it. Seemed to work for me and it took a lot of the work out of it as well. The hardest part for me seems to be to get on top of the roof to begin with; then I usually remember that I forgot something. What a bummer!
Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 AM   #26
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brush on a stick!!!!! Lightbulbs going off now!! Guess I know what I will be buying before this foolishness starts again! Actually, I couldn't believe I even found a brush at the house to begin with. Next thing you know, someone will be saying that those brushes on a stick are for women only????????
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #27
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Bingo, it was a brush which had the texture I wanted and it had a place for threads in the side of it. I used a paint extension pole that threaded right into it. Any hardware store should have something close to what I used.

Now I've got to go and repair the vents I previously mentioned.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #28
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You can get a brush like previously mentioed -ON A STICK- at Big Lots! I bought mine there and it works great. It even twists to extend the pole for reaching the sides of the Monte to get that black streak off! Works for me!! As previously mentioned-- No guarantees go with this statement!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Some folks like a nice sparkling clean white roof and will expend all time, money and energy it takes to get one and that is just fine. But it's a roof. We don't wash our house roof.We (Helen) will get up there and wash it down with Dawn at least twice a year. Most of the "steaks" on the side of the camper are from Dirty rain anyhow and we remember the same as Carol about the 30 days or so UV protection. We use one of those long camper /truck cleaning brushes that can be purchased at Wally World. Our roof is not white anymore and it has some ugly stains on it but the "roof police" would have to be standing on a overpass taking notes to see the roof..as a matter of fact we also do not clean the underbelly at all???? The 3400 is a train wreck right now.. Dirty Black streaks from much rain,, truck also..it is rainy and chilly so it may not get cleaned for awhile...but it still will pull OK..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #30
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Jackandh2o,
I think you need to give her more Jack and less h2o. With that said, some women are just not trainable. We try, and try, and try, but they seem to want things their own way. You just can't do with them, and you can't do without them. Of course, you could slip, get yourself in a cast, and say, "I told you so!" Maybe she'll listen then.

Bobby, you need to put both feet in them thar pants and cinch them up tight. Then tell her. You'll be wearing the pants, right?

Careful of the Awesome. I believe it is citrus based.
Wayne,
I just got a chance to read this one. Boy what a male chauvinist you are trying to be. People that do not know you don't realize that Earlene would knock you silly if you tried one of those things on her.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #31
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Hmmmmm,
Sounds like my previous dissertations about refusing to clean the outside of Monty are starting to become absorbed by some select MOC members. I knew I should have stood my ground and tried to initiate a ground-swelling of support, but DANG IT, IT IS TOO LATE NOW, already cleaned the blasted rig!!!!!! If cleaning happens to become an issue at home for the rest of the year, I am going back to my time-proven reply, "But dear, my experts on the MOC forum told me it was a waste of time and not really needed for the camping experience."
Bingo

Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #32
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Well, for the brush on a stick, look at the pictures of my DW washing the roof. I got a sore arm lifting the bottle, and handing her a wet brush. Lifting the bottle was a flavor of my choice while I sat and took pictures and watch (er! Supervised)

Amen, Bingo, Amen! If the good Lord wants to see a shiny clean roof, let it rain once in a while, and he does.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:47 AM   #33
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Wayne,
I hope your DW never gets an inkling to join this forum incognito. For some reason, I see visions of big old knots on your head!! Lift her up man (and not just up on the roof either!!), after all any woman who survives as a military wife deserves it. I know what my mother went through for her 22 years raising us as Army brats! And I know it is all in fun!!
Bingo

Old 05-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #34
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bingo,
I think after 47 years she knows me to well. John H. ratted on me that she would dump me upside the head if she thought it was right. She got a big kick out of the pictures and my comments of her "proper way to clean a roof."

I almost lost her a few years ago to ARDS, and she almost lost me twice last year with two MC accidents. We both survived thank you to the Lord. I guess our names were not on the top of the scroll yet. I don't think either of us would know what to do if we lost the other (But I have some ideas!!!![])

Edited: She always tells people not to encourage me in my wit!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Now that reply you can show her (Ha!) I realized it was all in jest and fun. DW always comments on the jokes I play on her with some of my forum responses and she kids me about signing up anonymously. ....and by the way a big Memorial Day thanks for your service!!
Bingo

Old 06-04-2008, 09:32 AM   #36
thor
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6133
camping world has a sealer to seal the roof .they also have a cleaner that works well.be careful roof gets very slippery after washing let roof dry then apply sealer with a sponage mop.i wash the rest of the trailer also .a lot of work but lookes nice when i am done roof sealer lasts abest 2 years.
thor is offline   Reply With Quote