Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #201
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Well Phil how to you account for the thousands and thousands of happy Montana owners over the years including me with 3 of them????? just good luck??? Maybee you ought to think a little and say they do make some lemons out there for sure but You have to understand there is a BOATLOAD of happy Monty owners out there that are dang happy Like %95 We meet at the campgrounds

Old 02-06-2017, 10:34 PM   #202
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Maybee you ought to think a little and say they do make some lemons out there for sure
Hi

I agree with this statement but what you left out is the fact that after producing a “lemon” the manufacturer refused to help the owner of this new “lemon”.

Unlike the manufacture that my wife purchased a new car from turned around a couple of days latter and returned it for warranty work. After they worked on the car for 12 months and provided a loner when needed the manufacturer admitted that they had a problem with that line of vehicles and refunded the entire purchase price and took the car back. This manufacturer will have my business for a very long time. As a matter of fact we did go right back to that dealer put another $11,000 with the refund and purchased a “top of the line” car that we are very happy with.

Do you get the idea?

If you have been watching this thread and seen the pictures it became apparent early on that the problem was caused by a workman cutting material to short and then “patching” it up to get it off the production line. Then when keystone found out instead of treating the owner of this new “lemon” like they wanted his / her business again in the future they tried mistreating them to get them to just go away.

Well I am glad to see it didn’t work this time. LOL

Phil P

If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #203
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We could debate this for the next 100 years, what brand is more reliable than the other. Based on my limited experience none of them are very high quality. Some even will bash the parent company of a manufacturer and hold them responsible when they get a unit in need of numerous repairs. I can understand frustration with Keystone Customer Service. I tried for over 6 months to get my emergency window latch replaced on my new 2014. They had one excuse after another why they could not get the part, but yet they kept turning them out from the factory with the exact same window and latch. Finally there were so many of us with emergency windows either wire tied or screwed shut the National Transportation Safety Board got involved. I immediately got a latch in the mail and two more follow up calls from Keystone making sure mine was fixed.

I honestly believe that no matter if you spend $45,000 or $450,000 on a new RV you may end up with a unit that spends a good part of that first year in a shop. I think you are better off, no matter what price point you are considering, to purchase a "gently" used RV in the one to three year old range and get an extended warranty.

And of course due to the vast numbers of Montana fivers out there it is probably true that they are the most reliable well built dependable RV in their price range.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:47 AM   #204
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

Well Phil how to you account for the thousands and thousands of happy Montana owners over the years including me with 3 of them????? just good luck??? Maybee you ought to think a little and say they do make some lemons out there for sure but You have to understand there is a BOATLOAD of happy Monty owners out there that are dang happy Like %95 We meet at the campgrounds
X2!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:53 AM   #205
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Well after 3 Dometic cooling unit failures in our last unit I guess we should have taken the approach of NEVER buying anything Dometic again?

Not sure what that RV would look like but instead we bought ANOTHER Montana with two Dometic air conditioners and two Dometic awnings and we are happy Montana owners again, go figure???

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #206
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

You all are missing the real point to most of the comments here.

If Keystone acted like a legitimate company and stood behind their product then you wouldn’t even have this thread.

The parent company is doing the same thing with Thor brand name product.

If you all want to learn what is going on look up the name Houdaille Industries and look at their history and you will learn what is going on at Thor.

http://www.washingtondecoded.com/sit...reilly_re.html

The only thing that has saved Thor is this last 8 years of low interest but that is coming to an end.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Old 02-08-2017, 01:00 AM   #207
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Sorry Phil, I tried to sift through the old article you listed and for the life of me I can't understand why it would make me a Thor hater. I know I stated earlier "we could debate this for the next 100 year", but I was just kidding. I'm actually finished.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:20 AM   #208
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283

If Keystone acted like a legitimate company and stood behind their product then you wouldn’t even have this thread.

I agree with Phil on this point. Standing behind your products is not an expense it's an investment and will make you money. In my shop if a custom sends a 10 or 20 year old product back that he has a problem with we fix it, no charge. Montana can't do that but they can fix what is their problem. Your customer is not the enemy.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:36 AM   #209
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I totally agree with Mlh!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:34 PM   #210
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The unit left my dealer last night at 5pm enroute to the factory. The appointment time is the 17th..
Old 02-13-2017, 04:45 PM   #211
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
The unit got to Goshen after hours on Friday. It was going to be checked in at the factory today.

One of the managers at my dealer asked me if I had put this on any of the forums. I told him yes that I had put it on a few of them that I am a member of. He then asked me had any of them had similar problems and I explained that very few had something like this and 6-8 over the last couple of years had to go back to the factory. He then asked me how many times the threads had been viewed. I didn't pull any punches and told him between the main four that I have asked questions on and posted in, around 81,000 times. He was quite shocked. I told him that I've been quite shocked, saddened and PO'd by this entire event.
The scheduled work day is Thursday. I'll let you know what they do if I'm told.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:02 PM   #212
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This is a problem Montana Keystone could have took care of months ago and almost no one would have seen. As long as you tell the truth they shouldn't mind.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #213
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Wishing you Good Luck with the repairs. I know I would not have had the patience you have had with this.

Mine was a simple thing, a 6" emergency window handle. No longer available, yet a member here found a bin full of them at a Fl. dealer.

When I wrote to Keystone, after telling me they were not available, they found some in the "warehouse", I had to give them the part number with a picture.

My '14 has, for the most part, has worked as it should, however, this is my first and last Thor product.

Sales sells the first one, Service sells the second one.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 05:41 PM   #214
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
Hope you hear something soon.

I'm not upset that something broke or a mistake was made. It's the character that a company displays when something does go wrong that I judge by. Keystone has displayed zero character by taking this long to handle your issues.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #215
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Wishing you Good Luck with the repairs. I know I would not have had the patience you have had with this.

Sales sells the first one, Service sells the second one.
For those that know me personally, the "patience" part has been somewhat of a stretch. I'm not a total hot-head, but I'm usually pretty fiery at times. I'm trying really hard to keep my composure, but just tonight, I've found three other campers just like mine on the Montana Facebook page, that are having the same problem! I'm also really looking forward to the written explanation as to what went wrong and how they fixed it. My guess is that they will not open up the side and replace/repair all of the studs, they will just shoot the #6 screws every 5" and call it a day. But, there is nothing I can do from here and at this point, but I will keep everyone informed.

I would like to thank you all for the posts, explanations and advice. I personally do not think we are expecting that much from a company that has the best selling fifth wheel in the country.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #216
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post

I'm not upset that something broke or a mistake was made. It's the character that a company displays when something does go wrong that I judge by. Keystone has displayed zero character by taking this long to handle your issues.
That has been the most infuriating part of this ordeal. Plus the fact that they claim they have not viewed the videos that I've sent them claiming that YouTube is blocked on their factory computers. BUT, you and I both know that all of the managers AND sales reps check their emails on their phones while away from the office!!! There is NO excuse for this amount of time in my opinion either, but I've just been biting my tongue as no one around here wants to touch the camper now.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:29 PM   #217
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd727 View Post

You are very correct. This entire thread only reflects the problem with Keystones refusal to handle their poor workmanship in a responsible manner.

Had Keystone stepped up to the plate and properly repaired our unit when we first had problems with it (the first 40 miles and 24 hours) I would be on the band wagon for them and would have purchased a new one in the last year or so. But because I got treated like this OP I will not ever roll the dice with a Thor product.

It’s just too bad wife and I like the trailer and now are really having difficulty trying to decide to refurbish this one or purchase a new $130,000 Trailer. Before you get sticker shock this one cost us rite at $100,000 by the time I had it usable and in good shape where it has been quite acceptable for the last 7 years and 90,000 miles. In 2009 the top of the line 5th wheel trailer not built in Indiana cost $105,000.

I am fortunate in that I purchase all vehicles cash so I don’t have finance charges to add to the cost of purchase.

Phil P
Old 02-15-2017, 12:05 AM   #218
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
I'm on record VERY early in this thread saying Keystone should have replaced your unit. I still stand by that. What MLH and Phil said earlier is true. You build a lemon, you own it. Don't try to get away from that. Yes, MOST Montanas are trouble-free, or at least BIG trouble free, but this one is not. And Keystone did not stand behind their unit. It should never have gotten this far. It leaves a bad taste for all who have bought from them.
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 04:18 AM   #219
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambam View Post
I'm on record VERY early in this thread saying Keystone should have replaced your unit. I still stand by that. What MLH and Phil said earlier is true. You build a lemon, you own it. Don't try to get away from that. Yes, MOST Montanas are trouble-free, or at least BIG trouble free, but this one is not. And Keystone did not stand behind their unit. It should never have gotten this far. It leaves a bad taste for all who have bought from them.
Yes, you are correct. A lot of people think I come across as a basher of Montanas and that is no where near correct. I've always loved them. My work partner has an '07 3400RL that is still a fantastic unit. I don't think it's too much to ask to have someone call you and be able to talk to a LIVE person when trying to get in touch with the factory when the dealer and others have done all they can do. I'm a realist and know that you are going to get bad things in every thing you buy, but there are ways to correct it. I'm still ill at the fact that I've dealt with the AC units since June and the frame since July and finally got a response from the factory in November! I by no means will ever put down Montana campers, only the way this has been handled. And I remember you saying that very thing when this got started. There have been a few very critical of me and my situation throughout, but it is what it is and I can't change that. Most have been supportive though. I've not come here to only report bad things, I came here to learn from people with similar units that may have tips and info that will save me time and grief. When I did come with a complaint, I offered proof. Thank you for your support and I will continue to update you all throughout this ordeal.
Old 02-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #220
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Two Montana's a 2006 3400 and a 13 3402.Problems both big and small with both particularly with failed holding tanks on both units. We have never been "jerked around by Keystone/Montana. We have never had a problem with the service center or service during the warranty period. We travel around the country a lot and have never had a problem with service at a Keystone dealer no matter were we might be after a call to the Service center. We have always purchased a Extended warranty ( service contract) using three different companies over 11 years and never had a problem with service or payment and we have used all of them.
We are not suggesting Montana is the best unit out there but it is IMO the best in that price range. This 13 3402 has seemed to settle down after 4 tank failures, One fridge cooling unit failure, one hot water tank failure all covered by the Keystone one year warranty, manufactures warranty or the Extended warranty (service contract) without a problem. We know plenty of 5th wheel owners of several different brands some of them allegedly of higher quality and we all experience similar issues.
There will be no more RV's for us after 11 years on the road as we are near to the end of our Rv journey.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote