Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-21-2018, 06:18 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Lynwood, I do not consider myself the weight police at all ( since I have towed, knowing I was over weight before in the past). But the facts are the facts and the #s are the numbers. If the #s did not matter, there would be none. I have seen a number of overturned/ destroyed trucks and trailers in my travels. I have no way of knowing exactly what happened in those incidents.

I can tell you that towing my 15k lbs +unit with a 1 ton SWR truck compared to my current 1 ton DRW truck is night and day, and WAY more stable.

There are lots of instances in life that people choose to do the wrong thing. Take for example putting a 2nd layer of singles on your house. Most people know that it should not be done but do it anyway to save $$. I have seen a few with 3 layers. There usually are no bad results from doing so, but what if the roof had collapsed and some one was killed. Same goes with towing, what if someone loses control of there rig going down a mountain grade, crashes and takes out a few other families in the process.

IMHO If you have no desire to acquire the correct tow vehicle for the job, then one should acquire a correctly sized camper to tow, that is within the tow vehicles weight rating of the truck you own.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote