Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-03-2010, 04:25 PM   #1
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Dexter Brakes Bad Quality Control

I had responded to an earlier post about their brake issues and the new self adjusting brakes. As seen in these photos of my new 3150RL I believe there seems to be a quality issue with the Dexter brakes here lately as there have been several posts about brake failure or premature wear. The first photo with a brand new looking brake is just that ... over 3000 miles and never worked straight from the factory ... wire severed at backing plate. The next two photos are of the rear brake on the same side. The second shows the adjusting wheel was not located on the shoe correctly and the third photo shows the square fulcrum missing from the post on the top of the rusty acuating arm. This brake obviously worked for a while, but somewhere down the road, things fell apart. I always carry a non contact heat gun and check my wheels at rest stops. The street side wheels were running about 100 degrees hotter than the curbside after repeated stops ... the street side brakes were doing all the work as the curb side were just along for the ride. My dealer and I had a long talk about my brakes specifically about the severed wire that wasn't caught on the dealer PDI.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote