Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Big Sky

Is the Big Sky still a package or is it a model(s) now? When we bought ours, there were four models of Big Sky. I know they have made changes, but the Big sky doesn't show up anywhere I could find it on keystonerv.com. Our next RV wiill be one of the shorter one more than likely.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:24 AM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
As I understand it, Montana is eliminating the Big Sky feature (paint, G614's, Level Up, covered awning, curved door shower) add-ons to the base unit in favor of a completely separate line. The "new" Big Sky will have a wider coach (102"), upgraded furniture & appliances, heavier axles and tires and more. It was said there would be four unique models and they would likely be $30K more than a standard Montana. There was even a floorplan for one model on the Keystone web site at one time.

All that stuff has disappeared. I can't find anything online concerning the new Big Sky (other than the prototype at Lazy Days in Florida). But my dealer says he has one that was supposed to be delivered two weeks ago. He is still waiting.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
My dealer told me this last week he has two that is supposed to be delivered by Mid April. One of the colors sounded like the previous tan and black model but the new paint design. I am like Carl, who knows.

Here is a link for previous info if the link still works. It works for me.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/8601...flyer_2014.pdf

Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Big Sky is becoming its own line again, maybe July. Montana is still available in full body paint and will continue to be. Just says Montana, no more Big Sky.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #5
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
Here is a link to Big Sky information; https://bay173.mail.live.com/mail/Vi...=0&n=587787135 I am very dissapointed in the way Keystone has handled this new roll out of the new line. I also don't like the bedroom layout. They are adding a bench under the bedroom window and not finishing off the bedroom wall like they do in many other models like the 3582, 3402 etc. I am ordering a 5er no later than June 1. I don't want an early production model while they are still borking out the bugs. Because of that I am looking real hard at a RW 39gk SOB. We will see. I am not ordering till the last minute.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #6
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
I hope that if that is the direction I decide to go I won't have to park too far outside the circle. I'm not giving up the forum or the friends I have made here.
Ron Ames please give me a call.
Jay D
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The link provided by Road Runners opens to a Windows Live Mail logon screen. Not what I want nor know how to do.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
The e-mail from Keystone sales rep Aaron was a windows live mail link. Sorry.
Jay D
Old 03-27-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
I have a 3625re Montana (Big Sky package) on order, should be here in a week or so... Talking to Factory rep for our area and he advised that they have since held back the BIG SKY that was shown at the Tampa Show to work on some more ideas, they have gotten a lot of feed back on that unit and are trying to fit some of them into the new BIG SKY line.

I am having my new unit sent directly to Mor Ryde from Keystone and having disc brakes and IS installed. Rep stated they are trying to work out having the new BIG Sky come with this set up.. Whether it is Mor-Ryde or some other brand is what they are trying to work out..

2015 GMC DRW 3500
2014 3625RE
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Ramblin, be sure to look closely at the Redwood and the Big Sky (if it ever goes live into production). If a previous post is accurate, the new BS is $30k over a loaded Montana --- that would put it above the retail cost of a fully loaded RW. Compare components, features, options, and build materials between the two and then make your best decision. You might be surprised unless.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 AM   #11
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
I talked to Keystone sales rep Aaron yesterday and I informed him the Big Sky bedroomm with the seat bench would be a deal breaker for me. He also told me they were going to offer a Montana with full body paint soon. That might solve my problem.

Yes you are right; the RW is pricey and heavy. I would have to have a duelly for sure. The RW should be about 15k-20k more at retail. Keystone is still not sure where their price is going to be. Too much indecision for me. I have to order in the next 3 months and do not want the first production run. Thats like buying the first new car model change. Expect issues and problems.

Jay D.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:08 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are some nice features that should be in a High dollar unit. Dual pane windows. It says G rated tires not G614's. Weight would be a factor. I do not see that number. I keep in mind that we purchased the top of the line, best you can buy Montana Big sky and it was far from that. I hope they build a quality unit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:53 AM   #13
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You got that right about not wanting anything from the first production run let somebody else be the "Guinea pig" that is a lot of money to take chances with ,I have some friends that bought a SOB from a New Company and they had to go thru that ...Not me
Old 03-28-2014, 06:43 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is not like Montana never built a RV before. At one time the Big Sky was a stand alone unit built on a separate line in a separate factory. There is no reason the first year production can not be a quality product. There is nothing new in the new Big sky just the addition of options that already exist on other brands and have been available for a long time. Nothing new is being invented or designed. My Big sky and others were standard production units off the assembly line .Those of us at the Fall rallies saw them on the line at the factory tours. One unit might be a standard 3402 and the one next to it a 3402 Big Sky. It was a matter of what option the worker picked off the inventory behind him or her.

During the economic readjustment they combined models and built Montana's, Big Skys and Mountaineers on the same line.

Montana has the opportunity to build a quality stand alone unit in a separate facility. The difference will be in the build quality of the unit not just the additional options. There is a market for a quality upgraded Big Sky but I will not be taken in again. If it is the same ole Build quality it will be a failure.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I hear ya Rich, in two years When I buy a New 5th I will look at them and Watch this Forum for feedback on them, I value people's opinion here ,if they do have problems with them I have no problem "jumping Ship" for a SOB
Old 03-28-2014, 07:31 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO If Montana improved on the build quality they would put the competition to shame. They have the opportunity. It will require improving procedures on the assembly line and building in quality control checks at each phase of construction.

I saw improvement in Quality Control at the last factory tour where there were those red stickers indicating a fault all along the assembly line instead of just at the last station. I think Montana is trying to improve build quality. Time will tell. I would go to a new Montana right now IF I had evidence that the build quality had improved. I do not have that.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I find it interesting to hear this same discussion about quality. It took the Japanese to just about bankrupt the auto industry in the US before changes occurred. I spent 40 years in Manufacturing and learned and taught Manufacturing. You cannot inspect quality into a product. The product and process need to make it impossible to make an error. There are books written on Poke Yoke and Kaizen along with Six Sigma methodology that haven't made it to the RV industry yet. Time will tell if they will ever get there. When I see red defect tags, it tells me that they are inspecting for quality, not building it into the process. I agree, if Keystone ever gets to where they can beat the quality of the competition and not just meet it, it will be a competitive advantage.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
keystone needed to create a separate big sky brand. now it can go after the high end stuff like the red wood.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #19
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You hit the nail on the Head rames14, they need to follow the Toyota method of "Kaizen" a lot of other American companies(including my old company) have adopted this philosophy and it works, every work station along the line has the ability to STOP the line and fix the problem right there and then instead of just the End of the line
Old 03-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #20
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I was at my dealer again today (visiting my RV which has been there over 6 weeks) and they said they are getting a new Big Sky 382RL next week. The indication was the MSRP will be $20-25K more than a Montana which puts it in the $105-110K range. That means it is right there with a Redwood, Lifestyle and similar RVs. I plan to take a close look when it arrives. There are lots of unanswered questions (weight, tires, axles, etc.) not addressed in the available literature.