Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2013, 04:11 AM   #1
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
3402RL bedroom slide leak

Beth discovered wetness in the bedroom closet next to the bed. Went up on the slide roof and had to look really close to find the (Eternabond?) tape at the rear of the slide not stuck to the slide trim. Only about a 1/4" spot. I found it by pushing sideways on the tape with my fingertip. The tape slid on the trim when I did this. Will try to get a pic on here later.

bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Watching what kind of responses you get. We are having wet on the carpet next to the bed. Not so much in the closet..... I don't think. Will take another look again.
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #3
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Made the mistake of taking pictures with my dumb phone-they are too large to even send myself in an e-mail. The leak was caused by a poor fit of the slide face trim. If you look at the trim, it's an L-shaped framework placed around the slide. When the slide is closed, the wide edge of the frame seals against the side of the trailer. the short side of the L-shaped piece is sealed to the sides and top of the slide. The side piece on mine was about 3/16" too long-sticking up above the roof of the slide. The eternabond tape that was then placed over the trim could not seal that 3/16" gap. I filed down the trim flush-being careful not to break the silicone sealant. then peened it tight with a light hammer, rounded the edge and re-taped. we've had rain for 2 days-so far no more leak.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Sounds like good work. Hobo Bob, your problem sounds like what we had. Caulked the top edge of the bottom trim on the outside of the slide. Since then we've had over 12" driven with pretty good winds and no leak.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote