Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Angry Windows have to buy the whole frame LOL

So first time I put out the rear awning on my 3950 the rearmost window on the side shattered for some reason. Oh Crap

Called the dealer and wanted order a replacement window. I was "educated" that the entire assembly has to be replaced as the unit is "non serviceable". What a load of crap.

I bit the bullet as I could not find a local company that could match the glass. I did save the upper and lower connecting pieces however. $400 odd dollars later the complete unit arrive after 4 weeks.

Once I had the new unit I took it apart and I tend not to believe it when someone says the unit cannot be serviced (especially when they want to charge me several hundred dollars for the install.

The glass is easily changed by removing 3 screws along the top of the window frame! The screws are small self taping ones that prevent the upper channel from sliding. When I was disassembling the old one I discovered the the middle screw that is supposed to be between the windows was actually misaligned and the pointy part was touching where the actual glass used to be. My guess is that the vibration from the awning was enough to shatter the window where the point was touching. This is the same principal I used in my paramedic days to gain entry to patients in cars with a spring loaded center punch.

I changed out both of the windows by sliding them towards the front of the trailer. I slid the new ones in. Easy Peasy. I then ensured the center screw point was nowhere near the glass. Took about 15 minutes start to finish. I am researching the channels used on the upper and lower portions of the glass. to see how hard it is to find. Now I have a spare emergency exit window and a complete frame to experiment with.

I decided to check all of the windows to ensure this condition was not duplicated elsewhere. Found one other window set with the point touching the glass and re-positioned it.

My guess is that Keystone and the dealer only selling the frame is a ploy for you to spend money. Especially when a cut piece of glass is under about $40-50$ Maybe some bright person can come up with a reasonable explanation as to why you have to replace the entire unit other than greed.

Why would Keystone and the dealer support the owner installing a piece of glass when keystone can force you to by the whole unit and the dealer can advise you that the install should only be done by qualified professionals and if you install it yourself it may void your warranty.

In the words of Bugs Bunny "What a Maroon"

Disgusted in Florida

Tom

=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
RV,s and boats & pools, BIG HOLES INTO WHICH YOU THROW $$$$
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Are these frameless or the slider style windows? Do you have pictures as I having a hard time visualizing the frame.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
darmock667
Established Member

M.O.C. #22447
Should have taken pictures however the waste of spending all that money uselessly made me forget to take pictures!

They are the frameless type of windows so there is nothing showing externally. The upper channel is similar to a u frame with the "U" pointing down. This slides into something similar that is on the frame installed into the 5ver. The frameless windows use this as a pivot point to push out. on the bottom of the window portion there is a u channel that faces towards the wall. Inside of is are a couple of wheels attached to a screw type mechanism that when you screw it the window is moved out. The other Window is an escape hatch that has a handle attached to it.

The upper and lower channels are glued to the window. When I examined the broken pieces I could see the glue on it. Not sure if everyone else with frameless windows models are the same however I suspect they are close. I am travelling and away from my 3950. Once I get back I will take some pictures.

The "frame" I speak of that comes as an assembly is the part that attaches to 5ver and is bolted in place and then some type of adhesive is added to help ensure water does not get between the frame and the wall.

My problem is that we should be able to buy just the windows and not have to buy the entire frame/screen/and windows when this is easily something that anyone with a Philips head screwdriver can fix themselves. But of course both Keystone and the dealer do not want to promote owners fixing the little stuff by the owners and it would affect their bottom line. Since buying the 3950 I have been spending my time repairing all of the poor craftsmanship of the rig as well as replacing the substandard CATV wiring. Tried Keystone and the dealer for a lot of this stuff and was disappointed with the "that is not covered" or my favorite "Drop it off for a month or two and we will get to it"

I long ago stopped letting dealers touch anything on my RV's/Motorcycles/Cars if I could fix it. I did go into the purchase with my eyes wide open however and understood the quality of the product I was buying. I am hopeful I might be able to interest a glass manufacturer in providing windows on a cost plus basis if we can locate the channel and get it glued onto a cut piece. Got to be cheaper than $400 for two pieces of glass/entire frame/all new screens.

I have taken the attitude I did when I bought a new motorcycle. Take it apart and ensure everything is installed and torqued correctly. I have started doing this with the 5ver...... Amazing the rats nest of wiring! My electrician buddies remark was he would be ashamed to have done that job.

Sorry ranting some today!

Tom
=========================
darmock667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #5
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
I too broke a double window. 600 dollars later I had a new complete assembly. Very easy to change.

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 06:43 PM   #6
gjennings
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22840
I ordered a glass replacement for a motor home I had from this company. They shipped it to my front door.

https://www.peninsulaglass.com/
Not full timers yet but soon
gjennings is offline   Reply With Quote