Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2008, 05:24 AM   #1
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
2009 Montana Features

I was waiting for a plane in Idaho Falls and decided to check out the 2009 Montanas at nearby Bish's RV Supercenter. Other than they are displayed on weeds, he did have a good selection.

I found a 3400RL in Desert Sunset as a fair comparison to our 2007, and I wanted to see exactly what changed. Lots of stuff - and wow they do listen to somebody or they would have never dreamed some of this stuff up!!. I had my camera so shot what I could see here:
2007 2009 3400RL Comparison

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well I wonder where thay got all those weird ideas?????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Brad,
Very detailed pictures. I saw one on our dealers lot also and liked some of the new features but still would rather have my early 2008 3400 model. What was funny, when I saw that the tank dump handles had been moved inside to the convience center, I immediately went between the axels to see if the galley handle was still there. The salesman asked what I was looking for. I pulled on the handle and it game right out. I picked it up and showed it to the salesman. I told him mine came loose also and this was a brand new one. He didn't even know that the galley tank had a dump handle. He had no idea it was even there.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Thank you Brad for all the photos and updates. You spent some time doing this and it is appreciated. New things are always coming along to improve what we have. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #5
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Brad, Very nice photos and comments. Thank you. I have an 08 and I have mixed feelings about the electic rear stabilizers. I too used an electric drill on my 06 2955 and liked it. The electric stabilizers are OK, but slow. Wish there was a fast and slow mode. Guess I should just slow down.

The photo on the TV wiring was interesting. As I stated in an earlier thread, my "cable/Satelite" label is wrong. It is on the single connector faceplate, unlike your photo shows and the signal is not where it's labeled. I'm still trouble shooting to find my cable problem, but this seems to confirm some hookup problems.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Great pictures, thanks. Setting new goals for me to add.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:44 AM   #7
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Great pictures and descriptions Brad,Thanks!
I noticed there are a few things we already have on our 2008.
Our sub-woofer is hidden behind a panel below the desk,I found it accidental.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Brad, great pics, we had that exact tank gauge system on our old Jayco. Most of the other goodies were already on our 08 Big Sky but I do like that small shelf under the desk. Ours has a very flimsy panel that reaches from floor to about 2 inches from the desk top. I plan on removing that panel and boxing around the sub woofer.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:32 AM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
First, Brad how long was your layover???

I loved some things and didn't care for others. My pinky finger literally quivered when I saw the new closet door clips! I like the curtain around the bedroom window. Just adds something.

Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:09 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Thanks for the photos...some good ideas/some bad ideas. IMHO, most of the 'bad' ideas were in the bedroom, no fixed lamp, doing away with the mirror on the closet door, and replacing the wood valence around the escape window with cheap looking curtains.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #11
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Brad! Great job! I have bookmarked that page and I am making up my list of "gimmes" at the factory during the Rally this fall.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Excellent pictures and terrific descriptions and comparisons, Brad. I had opportunity the other day to look over a brand new 3665 here in our rv park as the owner was anxious to show it off. You caught quite a few changes that I missed in my looksee.

In that remote box on the side, the slides are only kinda sorta individual. What they have done is move the slide valves that used to be in the front locker (extra cost option) to the remote box. So to control a slide individually you turn off all the other slides. The good thing is they used the new slide control valves that are 1/2 turn rather than several turns to activate. And they're easy to turn with knobs that work well. When our valve set sprung a leak this Spring Lippert sent me a new one. And I got the same thing they're using in the new Montanas. Much easier to use. Mine, of course, is mounted in the front locker.

Great post.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 06:24 AM   #13
rving2us
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7880
Thanks for the pictures and discriptions of all the new gadgets, you did a great job. I was surprised to note Keystone did not put a seat in the shower, old people are dirty and tired. Jon
rving2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 07:45 AM   #14
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Tlightning, If you are talking about the lamp mounted to the chest of drawers, my 08 3075 came with one but it was not mounted to the chest. In our case a good idea since we don't want it mounted and don't use it and don't want the hole in the chest. It gives one the option to mount it if you wish. There is a full length mirror on the commode wall very usable when you open the door.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:55 AM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Brad, your thoroughness is everyone's win!

Thanks! Idaho Falls, Wow those layovers can be productive at times and...enjoyable! Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Big fridge..extra counter space, rear view cam, 12 gal hot water tank, placement of lippert pump, dump handles, many things to like.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:33 AM   #17
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks all - I enjoyed doing the walkthrough. Its interesting to see how these things evolve so quickly through the years, even months, of production. Some changes are driven by the competition (frame change, awning, remote, pinbox, etc), some by prior problems with products (new counters, TVs, tires), and some just by good old fashioned listening to the consumer (bathroom light switch, swivel table, louvered W/D door). I still think Keystone is more responsive to the costumer than most.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 10:14 AM   #18
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don't forget Apollo, Brad, under "All of the Above"...

Actually shouldn't badmouth them to bad. Ours is still ticking (one warranty) and DW loves it. We may be in the minority, though...
Old 08-11-2008, 11:13 AM   #19
William O. Phillips
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8088
Great pics!

To help with some of the information and add to....

In the pic of the Lippert hydraulic pump, note the pink wire with the inline fuse holder? That is the little buggar that pops when you misuse the landing gear switch - too high or too low. Not a red wire this time.

The fireplace controls are behind a panel that opens across the bottom.

The HD TV is great! I could use some help with the wiring - how in the heck is all this stuff wired?

The woofer is in the cabinet above the HDTV. So to use it you have to leave the cabinet open?

The landing geat motor is still very wobbly and loose!

The floor in the basement is Congoleum. Very nice!

The rear stabilizers are very slow.....you can still control them with a drill or manually a little faster.

Tank gauge is not better than most. Still shows tanks 1/3 full when completely empty.....

Deluxe King mattress is horrible......anyone try a memory foam topper? Does this help?

They still need more outlets and light switches!

Thanks -

Bill
William O. Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William O. Phillips

Great pics!

To help with some of the information and add to....

In the pic of the Lippert hydraulic pump, note the pink wire with the inline fuse holder? That is the little buggar that pops when you misuse the landing gear switch - too high or too low. Not a red wire this time.
Great, at least they are still giving us a color that's easy to find - as much as some of us use it...

The fireplace controls are behind a panel that opens across the bottom.
Too bad... I so look forward to those first degree burns every time I go to change the thermostat. Good idea moving the controls. Bad idea making look like something I would make from scratch...

The HD TV is great! I could use some help with the wiring - how in the heck is all this stuff wired?
Don't know, but I am going to have to unwire and move some of that stuff shortly. Not looking forward to it...

The woofer is in the cabinet above the HDTV. So to use it you have to leave the cabinet open?
Woofer does not need to be exposed to get the effect. Just this AM had a terrific young lad share his "bumping" as I he passed slowly by at 6 AM. Don't any of these young kids know Led Zepplin???

The landing geat motor is still very wobbly and loose!
Well I was looking for an improvement there...

The floor in the basement is Congoleum. Very nice!
What's "Congoleum"??? A country in Africa???

The rear stabilizers are very slow.....you can still control them with a drill or manually a little faster.
My vote goes for the drill...

Tank gauge is not better than most. Still shows tanks 1/3 full when completely empty.....
Really? That accurate? Mine reads "Full" when it is "Empty"...

Deluxe King mattress is horrible......anyone try a memory foam topper? Does this help?
4 in memory foam on our King. Mattress don't matter. You'll never go back!

They still need more outlets and light switches!
Still better than the one outlet I think I have for my entire fifth wheel - seems like...

Thanks -

Bill