Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2014, 02:37 AM   #21
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Captain Joe

Thinking about wiring into the porch light? Comments?
That may be the best option Joe, I was thinking along the same lines. Then the porch light is functional if the remote turns the led's off. The only drawback would be that the porch light would have to be on if the led's were on. In my mind, if the led's were dimmed for ambiance, then the porch light might overpower the led's. Just thinking.
Bingo

bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 AM   #22
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
You can always take the bulb out of the porch light and use the LED strip as the porch light if they will come on without the remote.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 AM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There are times when we leave the rig that we leave the porch light on and would probably not want the LED's left on, so changing out the bulb would be a pain. There is probably a way to switch them separately so that they could be used independently of each other.
Bingo
Old 02-12-2014, 04:18 AM   #24
lunalonestar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11717
John Kohl just installed our LED strip under the awning. Looks terrific. Good lighting without the harsh glare. Very glad we did it. Uses about 2 amps. There is also a certain "coolness" factor. As in, "That's so cool!"
lunalonestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:55 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lunalonestar

John Kohl just installed our LED strip under the awning. Looks terrific. Good lighting without the harsh glare. Very glad we did it. Uses about 2 amps. There is also a certain "coolness" factor. As in, "That's so cool!"
How did John provide the power, AC, DC, connection?
Bingo
Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #26
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Bingo, they wire directly to a source, 110 or 12 . The remote turns them on and off. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:25 AM   #27
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I understand that, preference would be to direct wire to a 12V source, but we are probably limited to porch light and awning motor feed which are controlled by interior switches. Pondering whether a separate run is needed to isolate it from switches.
Bingo
Old 02-12-2014, 09:26 AM   #28
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lunalonestar

How did John provide the power, AC, DC, connection?
Bingo
Gary gave me the idea to use the porch light.
I put a hole on the bottom edge so there is a drip loop. David has the motion sensor light. I shattered the bulbs glass envelope, nipped back all the jagged glass on the metal edge, clipped the filament leaving the two stand offs and soldered the 12 volt leads to the stand off, taped them up and inserted the metal part into the socket. The white box also fits in the area of the motion light. Pictures in a few days.

We had to tap into David's LED string about 1/3 of the way in. I just soldered the four wires to the four copper pads. I did tin the pads and wires and used a small circuit board soldering iron from ham radio building days. Note I learned the string can be powered from either end or in the middle as we did.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
So if I read your post correctly John, the LED strip has taken the place of the porch light? Curious as I am contemplating a way to leave the porch light without affecting the LED's being able to go on and off. Thinking I am going to need a separate DC run since the switch for the porch light is inside the rig?
Bingo
Old 02-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #30
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:

So if I read your post correctly John, the LED strip has taken the place of the porch light? Curious as I am contemplating a way to leave the porch light without affecting the LED's being able to go on and off. Thinking I am going to need a separate DC run since the switch for the porch light is inside the rig?
Bingo
Bingo,
Yes the LEDs replaced the porch light. Unless you put switches on the porch light to power it on and off as well as the LED strip you are correct.
Personally I like the LEDs as the porch light.
Safe travels.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 06:03 PM   #31
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
[quote]Originally posted by bncinwv

My last question, did you use the tape that came with the strips or supplement it? A lot of reviews say the provided tape is the weak link, but reading further, if the application is done in an uncool climate the product seems to hold well. I am curious as to how they will survive the turbulence beneath the awning when travelling. Thinking hard about the previous suggestion of installing them on the awning roller, but then they can only be used when the awning is extended. Oh, the perils of a mod induced mind!! Keep us (MOC) updated as to how well they hold up during travel. I have already convinced DW that this may be a Spring mod! Thanks for the clarification and hopefully George can post some pics including how he wired his 3850 up
Bingo

We used 3M auto molding tape and discarded the original.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #32
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
I will take pictures today and post of the entire install weather permitting. If not today, sometime tomorrow. We are having rain and high winds and the awning is closed.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #33
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bingo,
I installed mine and wired them to 12 volt. I also wired Sandy Faircloth and David Hubbards 3750. I ran the wire through the same hole as the awning power wire. On their trailer, that put the wire right behind the bank of switches by the door. I tapped into the hot side of the 12 volt source that feeds the porch light.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:14 AM   #34
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
I just can't imagine ANY tape that would hold them in the heat and humidity of a southeastern summer!
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 02:47 AM   #35
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
3M automotive tape. The tape that's used to attach emblems on cars.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 AM   #36
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Jim, I know what needs to be done now, our layout is the same as the 3750 with regards to the switch panel. Know what tape to use as well now, looks like an addition to the mod list!!
Bingo
Old 02-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #37
Sheepdog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10354
Quote:

Thanks Jim, I know what needs to be done now, our layout is the same as the 3750 with regards to the switch panel. Know what tape to use as well now, looks like an addition to the mod list!!
Bingo
I'd wait till some of the snow melts so you can find your Monty!
Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:35 PM   #38
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
OK, let's see if I have this correct. I buy the same package and hardware it into my porch light. So, when I turn on the porch light at the switch, the LEDs will come on. Once on, I can then turn them off and on and change the colors with the remote. It is correct?
Old 02-13-2014, 02:53 PM   #39
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
The LEDs only come on with the remote.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #40
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Price drop to $24.88 at Amazon. Ordered mine along with the 3M auto tape.