Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 01-03-2020, 10:12 PM   #1
PhilandRudee
Established Member

M.O.C. #25562
We're back, been awhile

Hi MOCers Phil and Rudee here. We have been absent for several years after we sold our '06 3400RL that we full-timed in and went the Class A motorhome route. We have been off the road and working hard for the last few years and are preparing for our 2nd (or is it the 3rd?) retirement date. In August we sold the house we purchased 5 years ago here in South Dakota and have been stationary/full time in the Class A again, well today that all changed. We finalized the deal on a very clean and lightly used 2012 3750FL. We are both thrilled to be back into a 5th wheel but since it's a Montana that just makes it extra special. Rudee and I have been in love with the front living models since getting a sneak peak of one at the factory while attending one of the MOC Rally's in Elkhart. Going to be stationary for a little while but not for long.

Phil and Rudee
2012 3750FL Hickory Ed.
2009 Ram 3500

PhilandRudee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:28 AM   #2
Marilynd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19388
Congratulations on your unit! Welcome to the forum.
2020 GMC 3500 Crew Cab Dually
Marilynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:51 AM   #3
airboatart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17939
Welcome back from the dark side.
airboatart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome back, may your new rig bring you many years of wonderful memories.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
Hi,
Just wondering what factors have led you back to a fifth wheel from a Class A MH ? We often encounter RV rs who have gone to a motor home after starting in a towed trailer, few who have gone the other way. Just curious - not questioning your decision, just wondering.....
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
PhilandRudee
Established Member

M.O.C. #25562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftie Canuk View Post
Hi,
Just wondering what factors have led you back to a fifth wheel from a Class A MH ? We often encounter RV rs who have gone to a motor home after starting in a towed trailer, few who have gone the other way. Just curious - not questioning your decision, just wondering.....
We went to the motorhome because we found ourselves moving for work a lot and it was just more comfortable when traveling. Now that we have settled down we miss the "home" feeling the 5th wheel has as well as the extra room versus our 36' two slide class A pusher. Our lifestyle is evolving into less miles and more time parked in certain areas for extended periods and we don't see that changing much into our retirement years. Plus we missed you all!
Old 01-07-2020, 09:15 AM   #7
RVownerforever
Established Member

M.O.C. #25527
Question on your wheel well distances on each side

Phil, I have the same model and year 5th wheel. I just replaced the rubber shear springs on the suspension and noticed the driver side is riding lower than the passenger side. Does yours have the same problem?

Hi MOCers Phil and Rudee here. We have been absent for several years after we sold our '06 3400RL that we full-timed in and went the Class A motorhome route. We have been off the road and working hard for the last few years and are preparing for our 2nd (or is it the 3rd?) retirement date. In August we sold the house we purchased 5 years ago here in South Dakota and have been stationary/full time in the Class A again, well today that all changed. We finalized the deal on a very clean and lightly used 2012 3750FL. We are both thrilled to be back into a 5th wheel but since it's a Montana that just makes it extra special. Rudee and I have been in love with the front living models since getting a sneak peak of one at the factory while attending one of the MOC Rally's in Elkhart. Going to be stationary for a little while but not for long.

Phil and Rudee
2012 3750FL Hickory Ed.
2009 Ram 3500[/QUOTE]
RVownerforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
PhilandRudee
Established Member

M.O.C. #25562
[QUOTE=RVownerforever;1170822]Phil, I have the same model and year 5th wheel. I just replaced the rubber shear springs on the suspension and noticed the driver side is riding lower than the passenger side. Does yours have the same problem?

pick it up day after tomorrow but all appeared level on ours.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:31 PM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Welcome back. Have fun in your new rig.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:28 PM   #10
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leftie Canuk View Post
Hi,
This is a great question, one I have been asking myself for the last two years.

MH provides better road ride and conviences but once you know where you want to be and not traveling as much the 5th wheel provides a very nice perm home. No worries about drive train, just coach.

We are almost ready to pull to the trigger on a class a as we travel from home in CO to FL or VA or NY or LA. Call it a travelling stage.

Maybe in 5 or 8 years we'll be back here on the MOC like the OP.

Congratulations
Welcome back
Go camping
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:11 AM   #11
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
We have had a class A and a class C after having a few trailers. Now moved to our 5er. I guess it depends on how you use your rig if one is better than another. We find we like to be able to us the TV to explore easier. We actually had a ranger give away our site once while we took the Class A out to see the area. He thought we had left... mid stay - what the heck. We started leaving chairs etc out after that. Anyway, we also like the added room of the 5er.
Now waiting on retirement
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:24 AM   #12
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
I love our Montana with all the storage space, lots of counter space, etc., and I love the RAM with all it's power & torque, it pulls the Monty so easily. But hubby is having trouble negotiating the stairs (4 to get in, 3 to the bathroom). We thought we'd go to a toy hauler, until hubby tried to go up the ramp with his scooter which dumped him on his back!! I wasn't too happy with a toy hauler idea either, since the jacks are manual & I would be the one raising & lowering the ramp, ugh! So we've been looking at the Class A diesels. And with a Class A, if hubby isn't interested in traveling I can travel by myself, won't need help backing up. I'm really interested in the Winnebago Forza 34T or Tiffin Allegro Red 33AA (about $50,000 more, don't know if it's worth it). It'll about a year before we make the change. We're in the process of selling our S&B and the Monty will be a great place to live full time til we find a replacement S&b.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:53 AM   #13
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
5er or class A?

I just read the posts on this issue. We have a '18 3791 Montana 5th wheel and love it. We travel from the the Southern climates to the North Summer and fall Maybe some side trips but definitely not a every few day traveler like some. Set up times are a little more with a 5er but not much. Especially with the auto level up. We are full time and eventually I hope to set up permanently on some land we own in Georgia. Not till I feel I am not qualified to pull this rig anymore.Wifey likes Mn. and I like the South. Constant battle. too hot=Too-cold.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote