Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 09:10 PM   #101
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I am not a fan of the weight police but if the trailer has 3 axles than you need a DRW

Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:17 AM   #102
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
The journey is over...

First off, let me say that I have appreciated everyone's input in this thread, and I also appreciate that it has been civil. I hope the information in here is useful for others as well! Thanks to all!

I had grandiose plans of driving all three trucks, and then making a decision on which way to go.

Along the way, I decided that I wanted a 10 speed transmission. I know that some may think that this isn't a big deal, but a lot of gears has to improve towing. Now, when the truck wants to downshift, it goes down one gear, which is closer than it would be in a 6 gear arrangement. The Chevy's at 80 MPH are also turning at a SLOW 1750 RPM's, as noted on TFL. That's right in the sweet spot of the torque range.

That left Ford and Chevy, and the little bit of looking for a Ram 3500 that I did, I wasn't really finding a lot of them equipped the way that we wanted locally.

Then, Chevy thru a wrench into things with the employee pricing stuff (which could be a sham), and I started looking. Several local dealers (within 200 miles) were offering good deals even on 2020 models, which surprised me, and there was availability on 3500's as well.

Found a truck about 200 miles away that was too good to be true. Called on it, and it they still had it! I was shocked! Then, I got the call the next day that they had sold it, and I was sure that the dealer games had started. Had a nice conversation with the salesman, and he asked what options I wanted, and I told him. 3500, crew, shortbox, white or black, black interior, High Country Deluxe. Would consider other options, but not mandatory. He said he would find me one. He called back the next day, and he had located a truck that met all my criteria, and the price wasn't quite as good, but it was still a good deal.

They valued our trade-in (without seeing it), a little bit low, I pushed back, and they got to the number that I wanted to be at, and I was happy. But, there is always a but, they said that they couldn't totally guarantee that until they saw it in person. I assured them it was everything I said it was. I was sure that they would find "something" wrong with it when they test drove it, and would offer us much less.

Yesterday, we went to get the truck, again, 200 miles away, but it wasn't there when we got there, as they were still driving it from the original location. They drove our car, and to my surprise, they said they would honor the phone bid.

When the new truck finally got there, we went outside to look it over. IT WAS A LONGBOX!!! My heart sunk. We actually had a fleeting moment where we considered taking home a long box, and I finally told my wife that it wouldn't fit in our garage, and I did NOT want a long box. The salesman admitted that the longbox was on them, and he knew that I wanted a shortbox.

At that exact same moment, they were putting a maroon one on the lot. They had just got it in yesterday. We went and looked, but it wasn't a deluxe, so it didn't have the puck system.

Again, my heart sunk. Then they told us that they had a HC Deluxe, white pearl with a sunroof on the lot, and I thought, the dealer games where on again. We went and looked at it, and it was the truck that we wanted, with the exception of the pearl and sunroof.

They felt bad that the located truck was a longbox, and gave us a great deal on the white pearl truck.

So, we ended up coming home with a new 3500 SRW High Country Deluxe. Even with everything that went wrong, it was by far and away the best dealership experience that we have ever had. There are good dealers out there, but they may not be in your backyard.

On the way home yesterday, we averaged a little over 19MPG, and most of the way we were at 82MPH.

It will be a bit before we hook onto the 5er, but I can't wait to actually pull with this thing...
CADman_KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:00 AM   #103
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
What is the carrying capacity on the door?
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #104
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
What is the carrying capacity on the door?
12100, which is what I had calculated it off of...
Old 12-21-2019, 08:41 AM   #105
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
A new truck and:
"On the way home yesterday, we averaged a little over 19MPG, and most of the way we were at 82MPH."

How fast do you think you`ll drive with the 5`er?
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #106
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
12100, which is what I had calculated it off of...
The yellow door sticker?
Old 12-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #107
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Sounds as though you got the perfect truck for your needs
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 11:58 AM   #108
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Nice truck!! Enjoy.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 03:47 PM   #109
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
The yellow door sticker?
Yes the 12,100# has some merit but does not mean nearly as much as what the yellow sticker says the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) is.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #110
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
A new truck and:
"On the way home yesterday, we averaged a little over 19MPG, and most of the way we were at 82MPH."

How fast do you think you`ll drive with the 5`er?
LOL!!! Not 82!!!

Probably try and keep it under 70...
Old 12-21-2019, 07:17 PM   #111
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Yes the 12,100# has some merit but does not mean nearly as much as what the yellow sticker says the cargo carrying capacity (CCC) is.
I did not look at that...
Old 12-21-2019, 07:27 PM   #112
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Sounds as though you got the perfect truck for your needs
LOL, it was until this morning.

Went out to move it out of the garage this morning, and it threw a code about not not having an electrical issue.

As I started to back out I realized that I couldn't steer and I didn't have any brakes!!! Then I noticed that the charge gauge was showing about 10.5V! Once I got it out, I opened the hood and I noticed that the serpentine belt is not turning,and appears to be frayed. I don't know if it's a bad bearing, belt, tensioner, or something else.

I thought that I would put the belt back on there and take it to the dealer. But, I can't even get my hand in there! It is ridiculously tight!

Had to call OnStar and they had it towed to the dealer.

Just for the record, you can't steer these trucks without power steering!!!

Oh well, it's a mechanical device and under warranty, so I'm not concerned about it. Stuff happens...
Old 12-22-2019, 07:14 AM   #113
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
LOL, it was until this morning.

Went out to move it out of the garage this morning, and it threw a code about not not having an electrical issue.

As I started to back out I realized that I couldn't steer and I didn't have any brakes!!! Then I noticed that the charge gauge was showing about 10.5V! Once I got it out, I opened the hood and I noticed that the serpentine belt is not turning,and appears to be frayed. I don't know if it's a bad bearing, belt, tensioner, or something else.

I thought that I would put the belt back on there and take it to the dealer. But, I can't even get my hand in there! It is ridiculously tight!

Had to call OnStar and they had it towed to the dealer.

Just for the record, you can't steer these trucks without power steering!!!

Oh well, it's a mechanical device and under warranty, so I'm not concerned about it. Stuff happens...
at least it happened at home.
Old 12-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #114
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You are right stuff happens and they will get it fixed. No big deal.
It’s sill a great truck.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:47 AM   #115
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I don't think you are over-analyzing at all. I am maxed out with a SRW 2005 F350, and if I was going to upgrade to a new truck today, I'd absolutely go with a DRW, preferably Ford, but I wouldn't rule out Dodge or Chevy. If you can get over not wanting a DRW, I think the numbers show one is in your future.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:52 AM   #116
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
I did not look at that...

The question refers to the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door post. It will list the load carrying capacity to the nearest one pound.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #117
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
at least it happened at home.
We are very fortunate there. We drove it 250 miles home in the dark! and we would have been stranded in the middle of no where for sure.

It is still weird though that it was absolutely perfect on the way home, and then immediately in the morning it is not. I would have known last night if it threw the belt while we were driving...
Old 12-22-2019, 08:12 AM   #118
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
The question refers to the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the driver's door post. It will list the load carrying capacity to the nearest one pound.
Yes, I'll look at that when I get it back!!!

I did forget to look at that while we were at the dealership in all of the chaos of the wrong truck switch...
Old 12-22-2019, 08:15 AM   #119
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
You are right stuff happens and they will get it fixed. No big deal.
It’s sill a great truck.
Lynwood
Thanks!!

Like had been mentioned many times in this post, it's more about the payload than the truck. All of them are very capable these days.

Then it comes down to small decisions like, 10 speed, big sunroof, big screens, larger interior, all of those things that differentiate there different brands, and it ain't much.

At the end of the day, might even come down to best deal/price...
Old 12-24-2019, 09:39 AM   #120
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Truck 1. Animal 0...

Quote:
We are very fortunate there. We drove it 250 miles home in the dark! and we would have been stranded in the middle of no where for sure.

It is still weird though that it was absolutely perfect on the way home, and then immediately in the morning it is not. I would have known last night if it threw the belt while we were driving...
Got the truck back yesterday. Ended up NOT being covered under warranty. At first I was going to get sideways with them, and then they told me that all of the "fuzz" that was in the engine compartment was FUR from some animal! I thought that it was the belt fraying.

Oh crap! We are currently down a cat, but we're not for sure when she got into the garage. She has never even been close to wanting to get into the garage.

That does explain why it was working fine on Friday, and then on Saturday, it is immediately hosed. The weird thing is that I didn't hear anything out of the ordinary in the truck. I didn't hear a cat crying, nor did I hear any big clunks. I've gotten cats before, and it's usually pretty noticeable.

On a side note, I still don't know how they got the belt on there. It is NOT easy to get on there. They charged me for one hour of labor, but that included clearing all of the codes. I don't know if that's actual time, or book time. At any rate, I don't know how they did it in an hour...