Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Roof maintenance?

Hi everyone, how often does the roof need to be sealed with caulking? Also, how often does the roof need to be replaced? Is conditioning necessary? We are considering a 2010 3000RK and from the pics, the roof looks pretty dirty.

Also, can you pressure-wash the walls? The owner said that that was all it needed, but I would think that pressure-washing would be damaging for it.

Thanks in advance for your experienced help!

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I clean and inspect the roof a couple of times a year. Give lots of attention to missing caulk. Have never cleaned or conditioned with anything other than blue dawn. Roofs do get dirty but it probably doesn't hurt them. Based on manufacturer recommendations I don't use any conditioner. I'm convinced they only make the conditioner manufacturer and selling party richer, but do nothing for the roof.
Never used a pressure washer on the unit. Just a brush on a long handle with a solution of Turtle Wash and Wax.
Old 12-19-2019, 07:00 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Like jimcol said. Instead of working on the roof take a nap instead.
Enjoy your camper.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
check a couple time a year, that's it.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:26 PM   #5
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcol View Post
I clean and inspect the roof a couple of times a year. Give lots of attention to missing caulk. Have never cleaned or conditioned with anything other than blue dawn. Roofs do get dirty but it probably doesn't hurt them. Based on manufacturer recommendations I don't use any conditioner. I'm convinced they only make the conditioner manufacturer and selling party richer, but do nothing for the roof.
Never used a pressure washer on the unit. Just a brush on a long handle with a solution of Turtle Wash and Wax.
Thank you! Does all of the caulking on the roof need to be removed and resealed every year? Or just replace cracked up or missing caulk?
Old 12-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Thank you! Does all of the caulking on the roof need to be removed and resealed every year? Or just replace cracked up or missing caulk?
Apply Eturnbond tape to at least the from and rear seams and be done with caulk for ever. Everything on my roof and slides are done and will never leak.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 06:07 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Nothing needs to be resealed annually. Check for missing caulk and replace. If it is cracked I just keep an eye on it. Surface cracks don't hurt a thing but if they go deeper than you might need to reseal. The main thing is to check it a couple of times a year. Common sense will tell you what corrective action needs to be taken. If you see an issue and your not sure, take a picture and post it on this forum. Somebody has already seen that issue and addressed it.
Old 12-20-2019, 03:50 PM   #8
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Thanks, everyone! So very helpful!!
Old 12-20-2019, 06:13 PM   #9
Leftie Canuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23585
I second that thought - Eternabond is absolutely the most amazing sealing tape. I once used it to seal some cracks in a hot tub the landlord wanted me to drain. Used that tub for six months with 103 F water covering the Eternabond tape the whole time, and not a drop. Good preparation is the key, and careful placement is crucial. Once that adhesive touches something, it's there !
Leftie Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 09:54 PM   #10
Narnia
Established Member

M.O.C. #23878
Thank you! I found out from the seller that he had been pressure-washing his Montana! Should I be concerned?
Old 12-20-2019, 11:49 PM   #11
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I would not be concerned about using a pressure washer if used properly. As long as you so see damage inside or outside don't worry. My trailer is a 2005 and I just check the roof a couple times a year. I have read that these roofs may last 20 years.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 02:35 PM   #12
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Advice from a dealer friend, if caulking is cracked deep enough for concern, use heated putty knife with care to remove caulk down to a clean surface and reapply using Dicor 501.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 10:23 PM   #13
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
I own 2003 Monty, take unit to local repair shop once per year for free roof check. They do chalk repair at very reasonable cost if required. Course you have to trust the shop.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
zwma6@aol.com
Established Member

M.O.C. #23559
MONTANA brother.....do NOT use a pressure washer, WOW anyplace ….roof or outside walls. U should try to clean w a product that leaves a shine also. ZEP is the name I believe. Nice and shinny. If u need to patch the tops of the slide outs u can get 4" wide roof product that is THICK and STICKS like CRAZY. Best stuff. Comes in all diff. lenghs. It's like very thick tape on a roll. GREAT STUFF.
zwma6@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #15
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Apply Eturnbond tape to at least the from and rear seams and be done with caulk for ever. Everything on my roof and slides are done and will never leak.
I am thinking of using tape also, what width did you use?
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote