Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Mattress

Been a while since being here, but Marsha is growing increasingly disenchanted with the mattress in the Montana and wants to buy a store bought one, a regular commercial one. Has anyone done this, and if so, would you share any thoughts and special circumstances we should take into consideration?

Much appreciated!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Hey, Wordsmith, where have you been? I have missed your words of wisdom. Since the standard Queen was too long for our 05 3400 we ordered a specially made mattress and it did not cost any more than a standard. We also replaced the mattress in our previous rig. My back very much appreciated the change.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Hey JD-
I was wondering where you were a few days ago. Sure have missed your word of wisdom. We were at the RV show in Houston on Wednesday and I sat on several of the beds in different trailer models and all of them were lousy. We bought a Sealy queen for our last trailer from a furniture store. It was a struggle to get it into the bedroom, but finally succeeded. I had to extend the end of the bed about 6" for it to be supported. Sleep on it many a night.

This trailer has a king with rounded corners and is slightly shorter than a standard king. We ordered a 4" memory foam topper from Overstock.com and are very happy with it. You might want to do some serious measuring to see if one will fit.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:36 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
One night in the Monty was enough for us to decide a change had to be made. A three inch memory foam topper was all that it took to make the bed very comfortable. Dianna says that it is as comfortable as the Tempurpedic mattress that we had in our stick house. With her osteoporosis, she is much more sensitive to mattress issues than I. Had that not done the trick, we would have opted for a Tempurpedic.

From past posts, I know that you are tall, 6' or more. I have a problem with the standard length RV mattress. My solution is to provide a little extension. I don't want to give up the aisle space. I have fabricated a 6" foam block to fit between the headboard and the mattress, sized to the mattress thickness and covered. I have also put plywood, the width of the mattress and about 2' wide, under the mattress to slide about 6" out for supporting the foot of the mattress.

Before doing this I had already found a cheap linoleum remnant to cover the plywood surface under the mattress. No snags or splinters and the mattress moves easily for bed making and adjustments. There is always a "better mouse trap", but this works for us.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 03:49 PM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glad you like your memory foam Stiles.

We opted to try the memory foam, and picked up a 2" at CW on sale. Haven't tried it yet, but can't wait. (actually haven't even slept in the bed yet - so I'll never know what it was like before the memory foam, but I have an idea).

Our mattress is rounded on the outside corners, so I didn't even want to think about having to order a new custom.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
We have a pillowtop memory foam mattress. It adds about 4" to the king mattress in the Monte, but it is as comfortable as our king pillow top in the stick house. Cost about $150 at Costco. For the minimal cost, it is worth a try. If it doesn't satisfy you, you can take it back to Costco. They are real good about returns. They also have regular mattresses.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
We decided after the first night that the mattress was not going to stay. We went to the local mattress factory and they cut down a regular mattress to fit the monty. Cost was 1/3 the price of our queen mattress(stick house), from a mattress store and we got a king for the monty. We will not ever go to a regular store again. Quality was excellant.

Dorothy
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #8
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
So good to see you back, JD! We were just talking about you the other day ...

When we replaced the icky mattress on our '03 3295, we went to a mattress store and ordered a "Petite Queen" and it fit perfectly. (Steve said he gave them the measurements we needed and they said we could get it in those measurements.) As I recall, it was about $250 about five years ago. Best improvement we ever made to M2.

Sure hope we'll be seeing you more often ...
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:12 AM   #9
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
We put a sleep comfort full queen in our 3280, exyended the end about 6 inches and we love it. It will go in the new 3400.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:01 AM   #10
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Since we sold our house and most of our furniture when we went Full timing, we just moved our House-bed Queen Mattress to the Montana bed, and boy is it nice, even without the bottom box spring. We have a 3575rl and the mattress fit just perfect, of course, there really is No room to spare, but it isn't too tight either.
Joy
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #11
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the advice guys; looks like step one is to do some measuring and then to start looking around.

And thanks for the kind words as well!
Old 02-10-2007, 03:52 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi J.D. We, too, were just talking a couple of days ago that we've not heard from you in awhile. I hope you, Marsha, and John are doing well. Please tell them 'hi' for us. And if you get anywhere near Savannah, come see us. We're here until the end of the month.

If I may make a suggestion, since I know you are a pretty tall guy and likely have problems with your feet hanging off the end of the mattress... You might want to take measurements with the slide closed to see just how long a mattress you can put in there without a problem when the slide is closed. We were able to get a mattress a couple of inches longer that way. And after we got it we realized we could have gone yet another inch or two.

The mattress company said they would cut it to any length we want, no extra charge.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 04:24 PM   #13
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
we ordered a memory foam topper from overstock.com We ordered it in the king size to make sure it was big enough...works great. We used an electric knife to cut off the extra...cut perfect.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:46 PM   #14
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Campbud,

Thanks for the tip on the electric knife! I haven't cut our yet (letting it relax after being rolled up in the box). That would probably work better than shears.

Brad
Old 02-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #15
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Costco memory foam made our mattress acceptable, just make sure you give the thing long enough to expand after you take it out of the vacuum pkg.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #16
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Hi J.D. We, too, were just talking a couple of days ago that we've not heard from you in awhile. I hope you, Marsha, and John are doing well. Please tell them 'hi' for us. And if you get anywhere near Savannah, come see us. We're here until the end of the month.

If I may make a suggestion, since I know you are a pretty tall guy and likely have problems with your feet hanging off the end of the mattress... You might want to take measurements with the slide closed to see just how long a mattress you can put in there without a problem when the slide is closed. We were able to get a mattress a couple of inches longer that way. And after we got it we realized we could have gone yet another inch or two.

The mattress company said they would cut it to any length we want, no extra charge.
Hi Steve! Unfortunately, I don't think we will make it down to Savannah any time soon, though we are going to a convention at Augusta next month.

Your point about my height is well taken, so I will probably go out and take the measurements with the slide in ASAP!
Old 02-13-2007, 01:12 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
J.D., if you remove that headboard you can get another inch or two of mattress in there. There's only like three or four screws and it comes out. Ours is long gone.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:31 PM   #18
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Brad-
Mark the bottom of the foam topper with a "Marks-A-Lot" or something similiar where you want to cut it. Turn it over and cut from the bottom with the electric knife. Works great!!
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Thanks Charlie!

I was anxious to get it cut but decided to wait. After I took it out of the wrap it kept growing like Wrenchtraveler said. I'll have to try it when it warms up a little.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:24 PM   #20
robb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6238
We added a sleep number king from CW to our 3400RL, LOVE it
Robb & Carole
robb is offline   Reply With Quote