Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Common Sense Improvements

My wife and I have had our 2010 Mountaineer for over a year now and have made many mods and improvements to the unit from the time we took delivery of it. Many mods we really could not or expect the factory to do, so this is just a list of things that to us is just common sense changes or additions that the factory could do. They are not in any order of importance.

* Put the electric switch for the hot water heater inside the unit and not inside the exterior cover.
* Put the spare tire on the rear of the unit so it is more easily accessed.
* Incorporate a slide out pantry in all units
* Install latches to hold all exterior doors in the open position.
* Get rid of or relocate exterior speakers to a lower more useable location and add exterior volume control. Ours are located at the top of the livingroom slide - RIDICULOUS !!!
* Raise or relocate wall lamp near table. Our inside chair hit the wall lamp. I ended up junking the lamp and installed a swing arm lamp.
* Improve integrity of the utility compartment access port. When water drains out of the compartment it can get into the insulation. The 4" round opening needs to be sealed up better.

My suggestion to Keystone is, make it mandatory for your designers to live in their units for a week or so and also have to change a flat. You will see improvement after that.

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I like the spare under the belly, leaves me able to use cargo tray, or bicycle rack. 2011 3455sa W/H elec. swich is inside on control panel. Agree with door holdbacks. 3455sa has 2 pantrys. Iwould like for rear hitch to be 2" and stronger.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #3
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I second the need for every unit having a slide-out pantry. Our 3585SA has no good place to store canned goods safely.

My lamp problem is a bit different, but it's still one that needs attention: The lamp that sits on the small table between the two recliners is 1, so lightweight that it falls over easily, and 2, is at a height that makes the shade on it hit right at at eye-level, therefore producing no usable reading light and blocking anything that's at eye level view outside the nice, big window. We are replacing the lamp with a heavier one, which may or may not solve the problem because the recliners frequently bump the table when we move in those chairs. I'd like to have an adjustable-height hanging lamp over that small table rather than a lamp. However, in our rig, those chairs, table, and lamp are in a slideout, which makes hard-wiring that kind of lamp difficult. I'm not sure the ceiling there could support a hanging lamp anyway. If I can solve the ceiling strength problem, I am going to go back to the 1970s and put a lightweight hanging light there, because I do have a plug in one wall of the slide-out, and I can plug the light in there. When we travel, I'll just unhook the light from the ceiling hook.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #4
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
I thought our 2007 3400RL was so perfect that I spent the next 3 years modifying everything in it. By 2011 we had a custom built product that was perfect and I sold it for as much as I paid for it, so there is something to say for doing the mods yourself.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 AM   #5
Rancher Will
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11227
I suggest a better quality inspection before a Montana leaves the factory.

Our 3750FL arrived at our dealer (RV America) with no pull rod attached to the Black Water Tank. The dealer had to open the underbelly to install a pull rod for use to empty the tank after I discovered the problem on inspection at delivery. Also the three waste rod ports inside the waste control port were mislabeled. I relabled then to match their use.

The remote controle unit arrived with dead batteries also. The Dealer installed new batteries and took care of this also.

These were minor problems but readely noticed if really inspected.
Rancher Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 02:27 AM   #6
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wayne and Carolyn Mathews

I second the need for every unit having a slide-out pantry. Our 3585SA has no good place to store canned goods safely.

My lamp problem is a bit different, but it's still one that needs attention: The lamp that sits on the small table between the two recliners is 1, so lightweight that it falls over easily, and 2, is at a height that makes the shade on it hit right at at eye-level, therefore producing no usable reading light and blocking anything that's at eye level view outside the nice, big window. We are replacing the lamp with a heavier one, which may or may not solve the problem because the recliners frequently bump the table when we move in those chairs. I'd like to have an adjustable-height hanging lamp over that small table rather than a lamp. However, in our rig, those chairs, table, and lamp are in a slideout, which makes hard-wiring that kind of lamp difficult. I'm not sure the ceiling there could support a hanging lamp anyway. If I can solve the ceiling strength problem, I am going to go back to the 1970s and put a lightweight hanging light there, because I do have a plug in one wall of the slide-out, and I can plug the light in there. When we travel, I'll just unhook the light from the ceiling hook.

Carolyn
Carolyn, I just installed track lighting over our counter area and needed a place to anchor it. I used a magnet to detect where a ceiling joist was so could drill into it rather than just the wood ceiling. If you have a fairly strong magnet (I used a telescoping one), it should tell you exactly where a metal stud is.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:36 AM   #7
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Thanks, bobsals, for the suggestion. My son-in-law has a magnet, too, so I think I'll assign him the "get me a better light" problem. It's so nice to have sons, son-in-laws, and future son-in-laws to help us out occasionally!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note that at the fall rally we have "show and tell" showing all the mods we have done. The Montana folks are always there with notepads taking notes and many of the mods have shown up on later models.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:48 AM   #9
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
I for one like the hot water switch outside. It reminds me to open the pressure valve to insure there is water in the tank before I turn the switch on that way I don't "dry fry" a heating element.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Isn't the switch on the HWH for the electric only? The switch on the inside activates the propane only doesn't it? I'm getting confused. Another way we control the electric element in the HWH is at the breaker box. When boondocking we turn the HWH breaker to the off position. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #11
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HamRad

Isn't the switch on the HWH for the electric only? The switch on the inside activates the propane only doesn't it? I'm getting confused. Another way we control the electric element in the HWH is at the breaker box. When boondocking we turn the HWH breaker to the off position. Dennis
On ours we have a switch for both gas and electric inside. There is a switch by the hwh outside also. I don't know when they started adding both inside.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:33 PM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Drknapp,
Thanks for the info. How cool that they've added a switch inside. Ours is an older model. Hopefully we'll be upgrading in the near future. Looking forward to all the cool dodads that they've added over the years. HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 AM   #13
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
I'm pretty sure that all Atwood hot water heaters have both the electric and gas switches on the same control. Those of us that have Suburban HWH, the electric switch is located on the exterior of the coach in the HWH compartment. Some people just leave the switch in the "ON" position and control it by just using the breaker to turn it off. We just added a switch between the breaker and the HWH to be able to control it from inside.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
New Montana's (2009+, I think), with Suburbans have the inside switche installed @ the factory. Older ones don't - I added the switch inside also on our '05 2955RL before we got our 2011...
worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote