Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Dish Network Dish Hopper system in our Montanas?

Has anyone put the Hopper with a Joey into their Montana? My understanding is that the Hopper requires 2 coax cables from the dish to be able to run both the primary Hopper and the Joey at the same time. So, our Montanas only have a single satellite input connector, correct? Would this then be possible to overcome easily?
I have a full size antenna on a tripod (1000.2) and was home to just haul my Hopper from my house along with me on trips.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Mark,
Yes, you'll need a solo node from dish. It can be connected directly to your dish via 2 coax cables from your LNB. All of this is done at the dish, outside the rig. The solo node has a single coax that connects to the Montana and then to the Hopper.

I missed your question about the Joey. It can work one of a few ways. There is a second port of the node that coax can be run to the Joey. Using this option, you might have to run coax to the 2nd TV.

Alternatively, you can use a wireless Joey. Dish provides a wireless access point that is attached to the Hopper and an Joey receiver to the 2nd TV. The third option is that some smart Tv's (LG I think is the only one) has a built in Joey app that can us your own wireless network and access the Hopper.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:13 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have a Winegard Traveler and did have Dish install the Hopper and Joey, but it didn't seem to involve any extra wiring.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the wiring depends on the sat. dish.
Who do you call to get a package? I called Winegard and they told me to call a number, she just wanted to sell me a receiver.
(I bought a Hopper on ebay)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If you google hopper joey wiring you will get numerous pictures of wiring along with many links to various web sites and videos.

Or you can go to this satellite guys web site and click one of the attached files to bring up Dish pdf files showing wiring diagrams.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:52 AM   #6
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Just had this set-up installed in our 2010 3400RL. The service tech installed a triple LNB dish on a pole. He then attached a solo NODE to the dish and ran a single coax cable from the NODE to our service center. He attached a TAP to the other end of the coax which splits the signal. We have 2 satellite and 1 cable TV inputs in our service center. From the tap he ran a cable to each satellite connection, one to the HOST and one to CLIENT (on the tap), Host is the sat connection for the living room where the Hopper is and client is the one for the bedroom where Joey is. In the closet in bedroom he removed the jumper from the antenna booster and connected it to the satellite feed which completes the circuit to the bedroom TV. Connected the coax from the wall behind the TV to the Joey and an HDMI cable from Joey to the TV. In the living room he ran a cable from the satellite wall jack to the Hopper and ran an HDMI cable from the Hopper to the TV. Everything works just as it did in the house in Kentucky. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:03 AM   #7
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tweber502

Just had this set-up installed in our 2010 3400RL. The service tech installed a triple LNB dish on a pole. He then attached a solo NODE to the dish and ran a single coax cable from the NODE to our service center. He attached a TAP to the other end of the coax which splits the signal. We have 2 satellite and 1 cable TV inputs in our service center. From the tap he ran a cable to each satellite connection, one to the HOST and one to CLIENT (on the tap), Host is the sat connection for the living room where the Hopper is and client is the one for the bedroom where Joey is. In the closet in bedroom he removed the jumper from the antenna booster and connected it to the satellite feed which completes the circuit to the bedroom TV. Connected the coax from the wall behind the TV to the Joey and an HDMI cable from Joey to the TV. In the living room he ran a cable from the satellite wall jack to the Hopper and ran an HDMI cable from the Hopper to the TV. Everything works just as it did in the house in Kentucky. Tim
Awesomely perfect, detailed description! Just exactly what I needed to move forward. I'm ordering a node and tap off of Amazon right now. Thanks again!
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #8
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Mark, if you already have an account with Dish they should provide anything needed for the set-up for free. I opted to have an outside source that does Dish and Direct installs do my set-up because he was familiar to RV applications and has done several in the park we live in. His charge for set-up including everything needed except the Hopper and Joey which we already had was $65. This fee also includes relocation if we decide to change sites within the park. Dish was going to do the install for free but they did say they weren't that familiar with RV applications. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote