Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 10:43 AM   #1
GYPSY SOUL
Established Member

M.O.C. #24633
Inverter Newbie

Help?!
MHC 331RL new owners here,
We were not given good ‘how to’ info in what / when / how to use the inverter: (Magnum CSW1012 )

Please help me understand the basics. I am not a sparky.

A) plugged in at home (50)
B) turned off inverter when back from 1st trip from misinformation
C) batteries dead (and since recharged)
** alarm code E05 beeped to tell me bats draining again**

Thank you all in advance for any and all info

GYPSY SOUL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:57 PM   #2
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
did you turn off either of the red switches in the water bay or by the battery bank?
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:27 PM   #3
GYPSY SOUL
Established Member

M.O.C. #24633
No. I did not.
Old 01-28-2020, 05:29 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
When not plugged into power and not in use you need to disconnect your batteries. you can either do it by lifting a battery terminal or installing a battery disconnect switch.

The disconnect switch in the convenience center is not enough. There will still be a draw on your battery

If you are plugged in at home and the batteries still go down. The disconnect switch in the convenience center should be on. This just isolates the converter (on in non sparky terms the charger) so it needs to be in the on position
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:13 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I don't know how yours is designed, but my MHC 375FL has two battery cut off switches. One cut off exclusively goes to the inverter, which basically runs the residential refrigerator when not plugged into shore power. In order for the inverter to work, this switch has to be on AND the inverter has to be turned on.

The second cut off goes to everything else. I'm plugged in at home 24x7 and keep the inverter battery cutoff turned off. I flip it on, only when traveling as we always have camp sites with electricity.

If we have power failures at home, if they last more than an hour or so, I'll run out to the camper and flip the main battery kill switch.

When towing, both or turned on.

Not sure if this helps in your situation, but if you don't need it, turn the inverter off, either at the red switch or the inverter itself.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:13 PM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The inverter is only for running the residential fridge when towing and the rv batteries will get charge current from the truck to keep them mostly charged. If your inverter is on and not connected to a running tow vehicle or shore power, then the inverter will run down your batteries until the inverter sees low voltage cutoff point and then turn off inverter power to the fridge. The run time for the inverter is controlled by the size of the battery bank you have. If you have two group 27 12vdc batteries in parallel, these are probably 90 amphr batteries, so you will get only about three hours of run time before you reach the point where the inverter reaches the low battery point...assuming no battery charging going on from the truck. As soon as you plug into shore power, the transfer switch hooked up to the inverter should flop over to shore power to run the fridge. When not hooked to shore power or a running tow vehicle, you should turn off the inverter so that it doesn't drain the batteries.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:14 PM   #7
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Correct me if I'm wrong - thinking the OP said the unit was hooked up to shore power, the house. If this is the case, what condition would NOT be charging the batteries?

Sounds to me like there is an issue with charging system in coach.

That blasted red switch needs to be in the position where it CAN NOT be removed/pulled out - wished they'd eliminate it.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote