Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2018, 08:05 AM   #1
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
Poliglow Prep for oxidation

Has anyone used Poliglow Prep to remove oxidation and old wax from their fibreglass gelcoat? I have removed a couple of decals from the front of the Montana and I want to try and blend in the white spots with the rest of the front.
I read that Poliglow Prep does a good job of removing oxidation and old wax. I’m thinking of trying the Poliglow Prep to remove oxidation and wax and then I would apply new wax on the front. I am not planning on using Poliglow after using the Poliglow Prep.

Has anyone used the Poliglow Prep to remove oxidation and old wax? Any issues with using the Poliglow Prep. Has anyone used the Poliglow Prep and then applied Poliglow?

Appreciate your feedback.

dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #2
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
I used Polyglow on my old 1997 National Seabreeze. Only used it on the lower portion that had blue/green gel coat that had severely oxidized. After you clean it with the prep, the finish is vey dull and flat. The Polyglow is like floor wax...puts a shine on the dull finish. After a year or so, it starts to wear off, so you have to do it all over again.

Doesn't shine like the original finish, but it looks better than before.

I removed and replaced the decals on our Montana. You have the outline (or shadow) of the decal because the gel coat that was covered didn't oxidize because it wasn't exposed to the elements. The gel coat that wasn't covered oxidized and turned yellowish.

There is no product that I know of that will remove the oxidation. I ended up using an orbital electric sander with 220 grit and lightly sanded the gel coat until the oxidation was removed. Then I used 400 grit and then 1000 grit wet sanding to remove the scratches.

Then I used an electric car polisher with wool bonnet to buff the finish, first with a coarse polishing compound, and then a finishing compound to bring the shine back. Then I applied new decals found on EBay. They didn't exactly match the originals, but were close. At least you couldn't see the shadow from the old decals.

It took me about 4 to 5 days to remove the decals, prep the surface, and apply the new decals. Way more work than I thought, but once I started, the job had to get finished. I only prepped the areas where the old decals were, way too much work to get the whole rig shiney again. After 2 years, the prepped areas are starting to oxidize matching the rest of the rig.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 07:10 PM   #3
bones
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14557
I used a product called Fiberglass Oxidation remover from Protect All. It cleans-polishes-seal your Gel-Coat. I used it after removing my front decals. Can be put on by hand or buffer I did a little of each to find what worked for me. Did the front cap cleaned and second coat of wax in 2 hours bought it at CW.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:31 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I've tried about everything in the automotive/marine polish inventory and have had no luck in removing or totally covering up the difference in look from the "ghost" left behind when removing decals. It always just shines with more brilliance where the decals used to be.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:26 PM   #5
dpam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10119
I’d like to thank everyone that provided feedback to my original post regarding Poliglow Prep and the oxidation issue. I have decided to not use Poliglow Prep and I will use some of the other suggestions that were provided in the feedback that I requested.

Thank you for the support.

DPAM
dpam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #6
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I used the Poliglow on an '06 Glendale Titanium. Their surface prep was useless for my needs as the previous owner (3 years) had never polished and quite possibly never washed the 5er. The sides cleand up just fine with a cleaner-wax as they were Filon while the nose and rear caps were gel coated fiberglass. I ended up using wet and dry sand paper on that nose and rear cap, 1500 then 2000, finishing with 3000 grit with a flood of water to bring the surface back to acceptable condition prior to applying the Poliglow. In my opinion, those two pieces ended up with a shine as good or better then new. BUT, and with that said, it took at least 6 coats over the course of 4-5 days

Oh, and red or white compound just made a smeared mess that was 'sanded' off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PoliGlo'd front.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	2263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Poliglow shine.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	164.1 KB
ID:	2264  
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
bones
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14557
dieselguy I will be at the fall rally and you can take a look for yourself. I'm very happy with the the end results.
bones is offline   Reply With Quote