Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Counting Sheep

Did you ever try and sleep on one of those mattresses that had the ‘rut’ in it?, you have a little valley in which you spend a restless night. You roll over just to encounter the valley wall, and then settle back in the rut.
A few years ago we bought a Serta Pillow Top mattress, a little pricey, but we were having trouble sleeping on our 20 year old beater. All went well for a few years with the new Serta, then came the beginning of the end, of the expensive Pillow Top mattress. We lived with it for a year or so, experiencing poor slumber And aching backs, it made a long night of the sleep ordeal.
I, being a skinflint in some matters, a spendthrift in others, decided we would try turning over the Pillow Top and sleeping on the underside. It was flat. Hard, but flat. A little too hard, so we went to Target, bought a nice thick foam top cover, and we had a new mattress. Yea, well it lasted a few month’s then the rut re-appeared. Dang rut.
6 month’s or so later…today, I says to myself, “Hershel, I have had enough!”
Off to the same place that sold us the bogus Pillow Top we went, a small bundle of cash at the ready, back to Sears. I know, why would I go back to the same place that sold me the lumpy topographical mattress we can’t sleep on?
I don’t know, I think it has something to do with the saying I will probably misquote, about ‘Dealing with the enemy you know.’
We walked into the local Sears store, went back to where they have all the mattresses set up on display, we carefully avoided the Pillow Top models, laid down on some until we found the firmness we desired. Hey, the two we liked were on sale, down from $2600 to only $1300. I would get no sleep at all if I bought a $1300 mattress, so off we went to the Sears ‘scratch and dent’ store. We have bought all of our appliances from that location. What do I care if the trash compactor has a dent in the side, the darn thing is built in, you can only see the front anyway. We have lived in this house for 30 years, haven’t had one person pull out the trash compactor and inspect the sides of it.
The store had no air conditioning, it was packed with people opening and closing the refrigerator doors, appliances lined up for half a block, scratches and dents everywhere. Three sales people. Sign of the times, I guess.
Over in the back of the store there were 30 or so mattresses, stacked on the floor, and leaned up against the wall. Some were marked ‘New, damaged’ some ‘discontinued’, some returned, but sanitized, they probably had the same company sanitize them as the company that wrap the glasses in tissue paper at motels.
I found a King size firm mattress that was wrapped in heavy plastic, with a 2007 date on it. I figured it couldn’t have gotten in too much trouble in a year.
I picked out a sales lady that looked a little more energized than the rest, and followed her around for 30 or 40 minutes as she waited on customers, always smiling at her and explaining that I would wait for her until my time came.
When it did, Sue had to loan her a pen, we went back to the mattress we had hid in a pile of others, way back in the corner.
I explained to her that the mattress was mislabeled, the stitched on mattress tag said one thing and their blurb some bored employee had scribbled on a tag said another.
I told her it would probably never sell, and end up in the dumpster, the one we noticed in the back lot, bulging with items not sold at the store.
I said quietly to her, I will give you $500.00 cash for this $900.00 mattress, I explained that my wife, standing several feet away with her arms crossed was against the idea, wanted to leave 30 minutes ago.
I imagine she was thinking she would rather be up by the cash register where the fan was, and after all, I did wait for her a long time. She countered with $518.00.
I said SOLD! Sue shook her head and walked off, hiding the big grin she had on her face.
We have it home now, it’s laying on our new tile floor in the kitchen, we will deal with the change tomorrow. Sue and all three cats are sound asleep on it.
http://tiny.cc/Matt113

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:37 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
A bargain and the cats sleep on it, good enough.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Think you would real well down in the Mexican border towns.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:21 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We have bought 3 new mattresses in the last year and none are any good. We are in the process of trying another. Pillow Tops are awesome when trying them in the store. But after a month, they are terrible. And price doesen't matter, we have paid $800.00 to $3,000 and did't seem to make a difference. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:48 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

We have bought 3 new mattresses in the last year and none are any good. We are in the process of trying another. Pillow Tops are awesome when trying them in the store. But after a month, they are terrible. And price doesen't matter, we have paid $800.00 to $3,000 and did't seem to make a difference. GBY...
Exactly! We left the high dollar pillow top king with the kids. It even had a pillow top on both sides, where it could be turned. Didn't do a bit of good. Like sleeping in a burrowed out hole.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I told Sue that we must be the only ones that had the trouble we did, you would think they would stop making them. New buyers, I guess.
Here is the one we got:
#65532;
Serta Perfect Sleeper® Cupertino Select Plush II King Mattress Only
Sears item# 08295126000 Mfr. model# 95126

$859.99 $1719.99 (In retail store price)
Save $860.00
Old 07-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Jim, and others in the KC area. If you are shopping for new matteresses, please check out Hawn Bedding in Lee's Summit. They semi-custom build them to your wants. We have bought three over the years from them and still have them in use. We even had a short queen done for the previous trailer. The answer to the "rut" is regular turnings. One month, end to end, the next, over. Beware of getting a matteress that only has one good side. Even Serta makes a matteress that can't be turned. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
...........read my lips!

Sleep Comfort, sleep by number....aaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!

No complaints about rut after 5 years!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:16 AM   #9
kroencke
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8171
Tempur-Pedic, the only way to go.
kroencke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:21 AM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Jim,
How did you sneak your old mattress into my house???????!!!!!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:57 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980

I am going to offer it on Craig's list for a case of Corona......
(I bet someone brings over the beer....)
Old 07-29-2008, 05:31 AM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We offered a free, never used mattress on Craig's list. The king size mattress that came with our new trailer. Got 30 calls in 30 minutes. The first one to pick it up got it. Had to call a bunch to tell them it was gone. We had it in storage.
We ordered a custom made mattress from Verlo Mattress here in CO. It is best mattress I ever slept on. Had it made special size. Bigger than a queen but not as big as a king. It will flip over, if we could get about 10 people to help.Just kidding!
Use king size sheets with those little elastic straps on the corners.
We are both short people so works great for us. Cost us $1300.00 and is well worth it!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:31 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
At the advice of some folks here on the forum, we went the cheaper route and bought a "Memory Foam Topper" from Costco and put it on over the OEM mattress. We did that in May '07 before we started travelling from Alaska. We love it! We have the king bed and the topper fits right over it. Have had many sleep filled nights since then. Our last mattress, in our stick home, was a pillow top from Serta and we hated it. The best news was it was only $179.00.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #14
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We bought the 2" foam topper from Target and I sleep better in the Hanna on that than the stick house.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:26 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

We bought the 2" foam topper from Target and I sleep better in the Hanna on that than the stick house.
We did the same as Phil and Cathy, but from Target, like Wayne.
We also love it in the Monte.