Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
JMG
Established Member

M.O.C. #8888
Porch Light

At night,it is so dark when we get back to the Monty, I have trouble seeing key hole and/or the steps. Has anyone added an exterior porch/step light with on/off switch outside? If so, how did you do it?
jmg

JMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
JMG,

Several folks have added devices to help with this problem. You can do some searching or perhaps someone will be by soon to let you know what they did.

Good luck.
HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Adding the lights is a good idea. Until you do, you might consider leaving the amber outside light on for your return.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:24 PM   #4
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
If there isn't enough light from the amber lens you could put in a clear lens.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
JMG,

I purchased three LED Motion Sensor lights from Harbor Freight. I set them to automatic mode and place them under the trailer so when walking by they automatically come on. Not only do they provide helpful lighting when returning to the RV in the dark, they also keep the critters away. Racoons didn't stick around after I put them up. Here is a link to the ones I purchased.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95276

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
There's some ideas posted under additions and improvements dated Sept 07 on this subject.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I bought two for $25.00 each, another brand, probably not any better than the Harbor Freight, I wish I would have known about them, I got mine last year, maybe the H.F. units were not out then.
They really work good, just enough light. Good job, Tom.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by EagleRunner

JMG,

I purchased three LED Motion Sensor lights from Harbor Freight. I set them to automatic mode and place them under the trailer so when walking by they automatically come on. Not only do they provide helpful lighting when returning to the RV in the dark, they also keep the critters away. Racoons didn't stick around after I put them up. Here is a link to the ones I purchased.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95276
Tom, I have been looking for something like this. How do they mount to rig???? AND do you drive with them attached or take them down???

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 AM   #9
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Tom, these look just perfect. Gonna order a couple today to put under the Christmas Tree! Thanks for the gift idea, Chris
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:10 AM   #10
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
JMG , there is a light that you can put over your entry with a motion sensor in it . It replaces your current porch light, it is called a "Smart Light" and they are available at www.coilnwrap.com , they have lots of fun gadgets for your RV and they are good to deal with. The lights are a little spendy but they work well.....Scott
Shooterdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #11
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Eaglerunner;
How did you attach the led lights from harbor freight?
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 04:48 AM   #12
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shooterdad

JMG , there is a light that you can put over your entry with a motion sensor in it . It replaces your current porch light, it is called a "Smart Light" and they are available at www.coilnwrap.com , they have lots of fun gadgets for your RV and they are good to deal with. The lights are a little spendy but they work well.....Scott
Wow, $90 for a light. They sure are proud of their product
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
exav8tr and garyka,
I didn't attach them to the Montana, just sat them on the ground below it. They do have a mounting hole for hanging but couldn't seem to find a way to mount them with any success. Other than having to remember to pick them up before leaving, they work just fine.

Ozz,
I purchased mine about about a year ago from the local H.F. store. The first time I went in to buy them they were out of them but had them back in within a month. They often go on sale but the sale price is always around $4.99, never seen them cheaper.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:18 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Well I sprung for the Smart Light from Coil N'Wrap. Got it yesterday and installed it today. Easy enough install, even for a non electrical guy, although I turned the batt cut off key to off, the light was still operable so I pulled the two 30 amp fuses in the power panel. They send good instructions and you can even adjust the sensitivity of the motion sensor with dip switches. They even included both a clear and amber bulb. I intalled the clear. Will have to wait until dark to see how the motion sensor works. Seems like a pretty good unit, albeit plastic, but what isn't anymore.

Would still like to put something under the stairs and inside on the first step. Will probably order those above also. Hey, as someone says, "It's only money"!!!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Phil, good info will ask the Treasury Sec. to see if our budget will handle this before Christmas or after. My light now is just to bright so we don't use it. We do have a light under the steps also but when you return after dark its kinda hard to see the door lock. Also were you able to use the existing holes or did you drill? Thanks. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #16
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Hello Phil , I am glad you like the Smart Light , I also have a site where you can get lights for your interior steps to the bedroom as well as lights for your outside steps.It is www.rvsurestep.com ,I have not had any experience with the exterior lights for your steps , but I have the Night Owl lites inside , and they work great. I have had them about six months and have not changed the batteries yet. Did coilnwrap have any other gadgets you coudn't live without? Have a good day ...Scott Phil , come to think of it I thought I saw the Night Owl Lights at Camping World the other day , so if you are interested in them you might look at CW online ....Scott
Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 AM   #17
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Shooterdad presented a great alternative to the factory lighting on our unit and it looks impressive. It is not cheap as he stated, but googling for the Smart Light 1000 does allow for some other order companies that maybe cheaper for the same product. fyi. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well Phil, I just ordered the Smart Light. I hope it gets here before we go back to Gulf Shores. As soon as I showed it to Delaine, she said order it and I always do what she tells me. GBY...
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Shooterdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8905
Dennis ,thanks for your reply, I know that I could have gotten mine a lttle cheaper, but I really try to support the small business guy if I can . They are good people that attend a lot of shows and they sell lots of little things that we as RVers can use on a daily basis. I would hate to see them end up like so many other RV related businesses these days , and ten bucks or so won't break the bank.Thanks ...Scott
Old 12-08-2008, 12:03 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
WHAT A LIGHT, Just open the door on auto and on it goes. I put in the clear light so now have plenty of light on the stairs. You can take it out of auto mode and have it on all the time as a regular porch light or leave it off. I think the auto mode will be the one I leave it in. If anyone gets close the light will come on.....I recommend it so far......Will watch it over the next few days........Lindy, Mine was delivered in two days........