Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Who, Where & When?
Click Here to Login

Old 12-27-2004, 08:29 AM   #1
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
On the Road to Gulfport/Biloxi

Leaving tomorrow morning for the Miss Gulf Coast to bring in the new year. Tomorrow we will be staying at Big Oak in Talahassee.

Not certain yet where we will be at on the coast. Either Keesler or Campgrounds of the South in Gulfport.

First trip since the hurricanes.

Will be checking in the forum by cell after nine.

lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lightningjack11
Either Keesler or Campgrounds of the South in Gulfport.
Lightningjack11,

We will heading that way later in January, travelling from Gulf Shores, AL to Mission, TX. What/where is Keesler? We can't find it in TL directory. Any tips on campgrounds in that area would be welcome.

Thanks,

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:03 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
OntMont, I will mention a couple of campgrounds where we have stayed on several occasions. Buccaneer State Park is near Bay St. Louis, MS (Waveland MS). Fontainbleu State Park is just off I-12 near Mandeville, LA on the North Shore of Lake Ponchatrain (North of New Orleans). I have noted that the RV world is divided into those who prefer state parks and those who avoid them. We fall into the first category (we prefer state parks). These are two good ones.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:37 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

OntMont, I will mention a couple of campgrounds where we have stayed on several occasions. Buccaneer State Park is near Bay St. Louis, MS (Waveland MS). Fontainbleu State Park is just off I-12 near Mandeville, LA on the North Shore of Lake Ponchatrain (North of New Orleans). I have noted that the RV world is divided into those who prefer state parks and those who avoid them. We fall into the first category (we prefer state parks). These are two good ones.
Thanks David.
We are pretty much on the same wavelength as you regarding state parks; we had already planned on stopping at Fontainbleu. State parks vary widely, and you really need someone with first hand experience to guide you to the good ones. Our current favourite is (was) Gulf S.P. in Gulf Shores, AL, but it has been severely damaged by Ivan, I'm not sure if it will ever be the same again, but they starting to take reservations for next winter, so there is hope. Having seen the damage the tidal surge from Ivan caused to the Gulf coast, it makes us all the more aware of how destructive the recent Sunami in SE Asia must have been.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 05:56 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom and Betty, you've probably already left but hope you have a safe and enjoyable trip. And trouble-free.

John, Keesler is an Air Force base with a CG for military and retirees.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 06:27 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Nice to recognize "fellow travelers", OntMont. We have only stayed at Gulf Shores one time, and that was in a tent years ago. It was just that we formed the pattern of going on to Pensacola or Panama City instead of stopping in Alabama. We first stayed at Ft. Pickens in 1962 when it was still "Ft. Pickens State Park". Of course, it is now a campground in the National Seashore. We were there twice last Spring (a week each time). We were deeply saddened by the destruction of the hurricane there. For many years "in between" we stayed mostly at St. Andrews State Park at Panama City. By coincidence our last stay there was the time we bought out Montana -- right off the lot at RV Connections in Panama City.

I will just finish up by mentioning a couple of campgrounds in the Houston, Texas area. You probably would not be traveling that far north, but someday you might. The Huntsville State Park near Huntsville, Texas is a very nice park. I'm sure it is busy because of it's being near Houston. A private park west of Conroe, near the lake is "Haven's Landing". It is a large, well designed park with full hookup, including on some sites instant telephone. There is also a private park just off the Southwest Freeway in Houston which is comparable, including the phone at site. I do not have documents before me, but I believe it is something like "Allstar RV Park". West of Houston, at Schulenburg, we have friends who live and work at an RV park, but I do not have the name of it at hand. Can get it and post later.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 04:06 PM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Thanks guys. Back home now.

Keesler AFB was full. Baywood in Gulfport was full so I found a spot at Campgrounds of the South in Gulfport.

The campground was packed. It is convient to I10 and shopping is close. The campground is adequate so I will stay there again.

Had only one problem. My safety valve on the water heater went out so I found an exact replacement at Home Depot.

Over all it was a great trip.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
Left Biloxi Miss. and arived at Happy Traveler park in Thonotosassa, Fla Sat. Be here until Jan 16 then on to TTN Orlando.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote