Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Directv Unexpected Surprise

So in the course of investigating the various Directv receiver box to television connections that will be required in the new rig, I was perusing the on-line manuals to see what I had available and what would work best. At the S&B we currently have one HD receiver, two Directv SD receivers and two antiquated Phillips SD receivers. I kept seeing the message on the Directv web site that we are eligible for a free upgrade and had no idea what it meant. Our older HD model receiver just got replaced since it was having major troubles with the new SWM satellite receiver dish. It was done at no charge since we pay the extra $7.99 a month for the protection plan. I figured out that evidently this protection plan allows for free equipment upgrades every two years which I did not know about. So I placed an order for a HD DVR receiver which usually costs $199 and got it for free. When it arrives I will de-activate one of the prehistoric SD boxes and use the new DVR in the living room at home and the other HD in our bedroom. This will then give us two HD receivers for the rig now which will allow for HDMI cable hookups. The net result will be a $4 a month additional charge on the bill since we are paying $6 a month for the extra SD box which will be de-activated and the new HD box will cost $10 a month. Hopefully it arrives before Thanksgiving! If so, and you need me for anything, I can be found beneath the awning watching the games on the outside entertainment center in HD!! Yippeeeeeee! Life is GOOD!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
Just received my free new receiver from Direct Tv for the outside TV location, easy set up and new format, works great, have it in my shop at the moment till we leave for AZ. Free is alway's good
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Nothing in life is free.
Bingo, that sounds like a lot of thinking. That would make my head hurt.
Saving money is a good thing. Excellent practice for when you retire
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Nothing in life is free.
Bingo, that sounds like a lot of thinking. That would make my head hurt.
Saving money is a good thing. Excellent practice for when you retire
I agree, particularly when one considers that I have had Directv for over 10 years at more than $100 a month. They ought to give me a bunch more free, but that is business!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
same here Bingo. We have the protection plan which has worked well for us and our next free upgrade in in December 2013.
We have the SWM set up in the house but use the Non SWM in the Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:53 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Ours is the opposite Rich. They put a new SWM dish on the rig, which apparently would not work with the older HD receiver we had. It gave an error code and said to contact Directv, which I did and they said the code meant a new receiver was needed. The same receiver still worked fine at the house on the non-SWM dish when we got back home. The new receiver works at the house, and I will be checking this weekend to make sure it works in the rig. All this trouble because I left the perfectly fine, operating dish on the trade-in. If it works in the rig, I will be very happy with the ability to watch HD on all tv's. Even though I will have to move the bedroom receiver to the outside television, I can live with that.
Bingo
Old 11-08-2013, 02:22 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Beyond the SWM technology is the new DTV receiver that supports Genie. It is I believe an HR50 receiver that works with SWM, and with that you can add mini-receivers (really small). The Genie technology allows you to record up to 5 programs and a major increase in memory. If you're getting a new receiver with support receivers look into the Genie and ask DTV for that rather than just a new HD DVR receiver. It's really a great setup and I believe you can get incentives for about a year or so to defray the additional monthly charge for Genie. Good luck Bingo.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will need the good luck Dennis, simply trying to figure out how the new addition (DVR) works. Thank goodness for a technologically adept teenage daughter!!!
Bingo

Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 AM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
With the new Genie setup, you can record in one room, watch in another. The main receiver room allows for picture in picture too.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Presently we have 1 HD H24-700, 2 HD H24-100's and one HD DVR H-24 500. We are SWM in the house and Non SWM in the Montana. We are SWM in the house because we use 4 (or more) receivers and only two in the Montana and because we got the non SWM set up free. It requires a different LNB with 4 outputs where the SWM has 1 output and the SWM module in the home.

We do not have all Genie ready Tv's in the home or the Montana so we would need the mini genie.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 AM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
What is a Genie ready television? (Insert Barbara Eden joke here??????)
Bingo
Old 11-08-2013, 04:09 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Better understood if you go to the directv web site and let them explain it.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #13
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Count me out on the Genie, did as Rich suggested and the first thing it required was a SWiM installation which we do not have at the house.
Bingo
Old 11-08-2013, 07:43 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have SWM in the Montana but do in the house so we cam have it in the house but not in the Montana..
Old 11-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

We went to Direct TV when Dish decided they couldn’t remove some items from our account that I didn’t order.

So I removed them by closing the account.

For about 6 months after we got the 5th wheel we were moving the Direct TV receiver from the house to the trailer when we traveled.

Then my wife called the guy we deal with and ask him what we had to do to continue to receive the local stations when we were out of the area.

He set us up with a second receiver and told us how to change the location when we were out of area and wanted the local stations.

This increased our monthly charge 4 bucks to $53 a month.

But best of all wife is happy. When wife is happy every body is happy. When wife is not happy nobody is happy. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 02:08 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are now in central Florida near Disneyworld. Our S&B is in Northern Ohio and our Local Stations are the Cleveland, Ohio spot beam. As we are speaking we are watching the morning Local news on the Tampa spot beam. We have been doing this for the 7 seasons we have been in this area and prior to that the locals wherever we were at in TX, AZ. The locals are changed while we are still on the phone with Directv. We have neighbors that are on the Dish system and they also have no problem with the local spot beam. Such is life.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We installed the Genie at home (an HR-34, which Direct has replaced with the HR-44)this fall. The HR-34 has 1TB of hard drive storage, about 4 times what our old DVR had. I can record so much more that I never get around to watching than I could before. Either with the mini-receivers, or with DVRs in other rooms, the Genie in the "whole home" mode enables viewing of recorded programming from all DVRs in all rooms. However, that very cool function requires a wi-fi environment, something most of us lack in our Montanas (although maybe a smart phone with an unlimited data plan would suffice).

Bingo, you should consider the Genie for your home setup. Keep the DVRs (if they're SWM capable), rather than replacing them with the mini-receivers, unless space is limited. The old DVRs provide that much more recording capacity and easily travel in the Montana. If you've been a long-time customer, I've found Direct to be very open to providing "free stuff."

Rich, it sounds like your new Montana is already wired with dual cable runs, but if not, getting a SWM LNB on eBay is pretty easy. After the new LNB is installed on the dish, SWM in the trailer is very nice. You need a power inserter in-line and you must replace the splitter with Direct's SWM version. After that, one cable to each dual-tuner receiver is all you need, allowing (at least in my case) dual tuners using the existing cabling in the Montana.

Bill
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:25 AM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Bill,
Last night was the first time I actually used the record function, and that was only because the youngest daughter wanted a show recorded each week. Not even sure if I did that right, guess I will have to see if it recorded. Ironically, after we received the HD-DVR, we then found out that we did not have a dual line to the DVR so a tech had to come out and remedy that situation. Don't need the dual line now, since we now have SWiM at the house. This makes me happy since I will not have to either reset or reconfigure the receivers each time they move. So now, even thought I am Genie ready, I really do not see the use for it with our viewing habits.
Bingo
Old 11-21-2013, 03:49 AM   #19
Bruce Perlee
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12383
What antenna are you using with the direct tv on the Montana?
Bruce Perlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #20
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I am using a Winegard Travler SK-SWM3 autoseek automatic dish that is mounted on the roof of the rig.
Bingo