Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HOBBY CENTRAL > Geocaching
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I have my containers ready to hide.

Don't know if I am doing it right, but will learn on the fly.
I spent all day working on them, I think they will work, and have a bunch of places to put them around here.
Now I have to research how to do that.
Here is my day's work. I ended up with a bunch of them, put magnets on the small ones to give me options.
I kept spare parts to repair my kits and others as I go.

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue1...eat=directlink

Camo painting:

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:25 PM   #2
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Jim,

You are weirdly impulsive, if nothing else. Sue must have a ball watching you do this kind of stuff...
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:51 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
She told a friend one time; "Well, it's quite a ride.."
Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 AM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Ozz--you really move fast! I don't have any caches that I have hidden in over 6 years but maybe I am a slow learner. So--will be on the look out for the caches.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Sue and I are going out today way off in the Desert on a trail I discovered, there are mines and mountains, it is BLM land around here. We found our first cache last night, we were jumping up and down
Old 01-22-2012, 03:33 AM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
She told a friend one time; "Well, it's quite a ride.."
Beats what my wife said. My brother said I was the absent mined professor and my wife said I was the village idiot.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lynwood we know better than that
If we can't have a good laugh occasionally, what's the point of it all...
Old 01-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #8
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,
Just one thing to remember is to place them so they CAN be found. We have found it very frustrating when we can't find one because they were placed in/under the trees where there is no signal, or the minis...quit looking for those....

Have fun with it, we love the sport of caching....great way to see places you have never seen before...and that is the point!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Ozz,
Just one thing to remember is to place them so they CAN be found. We have found it very frustrating when we can't find one because they were placed in/under the trees where there is no signal, or the minis...quit looking for those....

Have fun with it, we love the sport of caching....great way to see places you have never seen before...and that is the point!
Thank you. We were wandering and exploring before, this just fits our adventures wonderfully.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:10 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Ozz,
Once you figure out you like geocaching, go register and pay the fee at geocaching.com. You'll be able to download your caches to your GPS, keep your records etc. and watch the progress of your caches as others find them.

We have the Garmin 60 CSX and are very pleased with the way it works.....very little learning curve. We also have a program on our smartphones called c:geo (free on android)...it allows you to download coordinates to your phone, and hints and information...very useful, because our GPS does not allow us to download or collect any information other than the coordinates and cache names.

BTW, Thanks to Tim and Susan Millington for helping us get started.

We will go in phases and geocache a lot, and then not for a while....just depends on what type of adventure you want to do in the place you are located. There are caches absolutely everywhere. We have yet to turn the thing on and not find them....and some very tricky adventures that are lots of fun.

We rarely take anything out of them, but almost always leave something....We love the travel bugs...and we track the ones we have found on geocaching.com...great fun to see where they go after we re-place them.

Enjoy.....
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Great advice, I would expect nothing less from you.
I have a Garmin Oregon 550 being delivered to us in the morning, should enhance our adventures.
I am a proud Premium member of Geocaching.com, logged my first two drops and my first 'find'. (Name is OzzOzz) Ozz was taken.
It takes a little time for them to approve and log them, so they might not quite be up yet.
When I decide to do something, I am all over it.
I was trying to sleep last night, but thought up two neat puzzles, one is a two-pipe deal, one with retrieval rods, one for the container. Another is a flush-to-the-ground cover, with just a cabinet-pull visible.
I have pictures to post, but this time of day, my hot spot is s l o w.
Thanks for the help, I appreciate any and all tips.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
You are like me Ozz, once you make up your mind to do something you get the right tools to do the job. My wife knows all to well.

It goes back to the saying of men and boys and the price of there toys.......Oh well, we have fun, and thats what its all about.

Now I just gotta find that boat I can buy here in FL for the lake I am on and can't get on without a boat, and I already have a very nice bass boat back in MI. She says oh boy, here we go.............

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:25 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think we are the first generation to have every thing we need to go out and do all the things we do. 40 foot campers big Diesel trucks, and the Internet to stay in touch with like minded people. I'm afraid I'm going to wake up and find its all a big dream.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 01:31 PM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

I think we are the first generation to have every thing we need to go out and do all the things we do. 40 foot campers big Diesel trucks, and the Internet to stay in touch with like minded people. I'm afraid I'm going to wake up and find its all a big dream.
Lynwood
Absolutely! Alice and I were just commenting the very same sentiment today. How grand it is to be able to go where the weather suits our clothes, and to be where we want to be when we want to be there, and have just the right amount of communication with the rest of the world.....Yep, wonderfully lucky!