Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Threatened at Campsite

For the first time in my camping life, I felt threatened. We camped at a city campground in Hamilton, Illinois. We have been camping there for about five years with no issue, never crowded and low fees. This was our first time camping over the 4th of July. When we pulled in, the place was packed. Guy across the way offered to spot me but I told him I was fine. Got camped and was beat so we hit the sack early. Lots of noise, music and drinking. The next day we found out this group had a family reunion. They brought in about a 30' trailer with DJ the next day. Finally got to sleep despite the music and carrying on. About 2:30 am there was a huge explosion. I got up to ask them to quiet down. They said "you already called the cops once" (which) we hadn't. One of the guys was really drunk and kept trying to come after me. I was told to get my f'in rig and leave. That's exactly what we did the next morning. Called the asst. Police chief, mayor and parks super. The police have no jurisdiction in the park, the mayor has no power over the park and the park didn't know there was a problem. I guess when someone gets hurt, they'll have some power to change. As for us, we'll camp over in Iowa from now on.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Nothing like alcohol to make a perfect a----le feel 10ft tall and bullit proof. Sorry you had to encounter this type of foolish behavior.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Too bad you have to experience that. Ditto on what old dude stated! Also sounds like no officials want to handle any problems - write a letter to the local paper.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
As they say in France, or something/somewhere,

That is pooey.

That is one thing that would really concern me if we were full timers, those 3 weekends a year when the "professional" campers come out to party.

Now, I will go find that fireproof outfit I was wearing the other night.

Funny thing, NOT so funny, is that this is the second time I have read this kind of report this year, One from California, and now yours. What is it this year??

Sorry you guys had to deal with this.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The local police have no jurisdiction in the park? What's up with that? I thought public safety had no jurisdiction. Maybe you should have told them you assaulted someone, then they'd be there in a hurry. And when they get there you just tell them, "Oops, never mind, that slap was a bug on my arm, but since you're here, check this out..."

Booze can sure screw up a good celebration. Some folks just forget that the declaration of independence being declared on this day for something that occurred 234 years ago was not expected to be celebrated with stupidity and disrespect.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #6
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with others...park owners just lost a repeat customer while catering to those that will NOT care about neighbors around them much less the facilities.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
So sorry Ron and Terrie you had such a bad experience. Holidays are always a pain -- we have to make reservations well ahead just to assure a spot. Now it looks like we also have to pick a place with security on site.
Sharon
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
What a stinky deal. Too bad some people have no sense.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
this wouldn't happen at a private or state campground. They usually have someone on-site. The park district is a separate entity from the city. It's considered like private property. According to the "family", this was their tenth year. It is my belief that this explains why there are so few campers the rest of the year.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 03:56 PM   #10
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Art says "Maybe you should have told them you assaulted someone, then they'd be there in a hurry. And when they get there you just tell them, "Oops, never mind, that slap was a bug on my arm, but since you're here, check this out...""
Giving false information to a Police Office is a crime and you may be the one going to the cross bar hotel that evening. It's never a good idea to lie to the police.
All local officers have jurisdiction boundaries and they can't just go anywhere they wish.
Someone has enforcement powers for that area. Maybe its the Sheriff's Office.
I liked the idea of writing the paper.
Hugh

HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
We do not camp on the 4th of July weekend. Too many idiots out and about for sure.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 AM   #12
SAndreasen
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1918
This is why we skip the holidays. Sorry for your bad experience and WELCOME to IOWA!
SAndreasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:05 AM   #13
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Sorry to hear of your experience. We can relate. We had a similar experience at Sly Lake Park on a fourth of July a couple of years ago. Like you, we bailed out the next morning. If I go somewhere on the fourth again, I'll stay at a private park.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Sorry to hear about your experience with the idiots. We are not fulltimers and therefore can choose when to go out on the road. We coose to stay home on the 4th because of situations like this and the traffic associated with the Holidays. It is too bad that we have to think this way because of a few mindless people.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
we don't go out New Years Eve either.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:15 AM   #16
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Just for my own education. Do the state police have jurisdiction generally or only where a , municipal, county or district police force or sheriff does not exist? I don't cross the border very often but I am always confused on how it works. I once passed an accident site in New York(State)where there were three different forces represented.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:35 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RCN.Stoker

Just for my own education. Do the state police have jurisdiction generally or only where a , municipal, county or district police force or sheriff does not exist? I don't cross the border very often but I am always confused on how it works. I once passed an accident site in New York(State)where there were three different forces represented.
I can only speak for Texas. Licensed peace officers here have a lot of authority to arrest even when outside their jurisdiction, they merely have to contact the local authorities as soon as possible. Not unusual either to see state, county, and city police at the scene of an accident or working traffic. I've lived in counties where county law enforcement very seldom worked radar. Down here, I see county deputies writing traffic violations almost daily.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:44 PM   #18
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
In August 2011 we camped at the city campground at Tybee Island in Georgia and had city police in and out of the campground all the time. We didn't see any problems with that kind of police presence. Maybe it would be better to camp in a city owned campground in a city that recognizes it's responsibility to protect folks in THEIR campground.
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #19
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Our stick house is on the City lake and we hate the holidays. Same issues. People who only come out three times a year and all their drunken, drug using friends. The rest of the year we pretty much have the place to ourselves. Looking forward to full timing, but now at least one of the issues we are trying to leave behind appears to still be in front of us.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:37 AM   #20
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Camping in Iowa may be a great idea. Illinois is a bit strange, on how you can defend yourself if attacked, compared to other states.

Full timers don't have the option of not camping on a holiday. So maybe it is a good idea to ask the management what the rules are and how they get enforced. It might also be nice to have a list of appropriate emergency numbers.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote