Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
De-clawing a cat...Yea or Nay

This post is for a close non RVing friend who's in a quandary about their new kitten.
The kitten has started clawing the living room furniture. The furniture is less than 6 months old and they do not want it ruined. I do understand that part as my daughter had a brand new recliner ruined in less than 3 months.
Like my daughter, this couple both work all day and do not want to confine the cat. They want the cat to have the run of the house but they also don't want the cat clawing the furniture.
Some cat owners tell them to get a clawing post. They have 3 of them but the kitten seems to prefer the furniture. This was also the same case with my daughter.
The only other option they can see is to have the Kitten declawed They have asked other cat owners for advice but this advice seems to be split down the middle. Some say declaw while others say it's inhumane and the cat will eventually grow out of it. Well my daughters cat, actually cats, never grew out of it.
Not being a pet owner, I was at a loss to help them but I do know that folks do have it done and the cats seem OK. Yes, it probably does cause the cat some discomfort initially but that will pass.
One individual that says declawing is inhumane also owns an Australian Shepard and had the tail cut off. Had the tail cut off? I asked why on Earth would you cut the dogs tail off. Their explanation was "it's the breed of dog". A true Australian Shepard has no tail just a stump. "BREED???" Now I ain't no rocket scientist but I do know that if God didn't want the dog to have a tail it would have been born without one.

Anyway, What's your take on Declawing a cat????

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:01 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
When you declaw a cat, you remove 20 bones from their paws. It is a very painful procedure and recovery for a kitten. A dog's tail is usually docked when it is just a few weeks old and probably considerably less painful, but how do we know? We stopped trimming our Schnauzers' ears because it seemed unnecessary and painful. The bottom line seems to be....if you want to preserve your furniture, declaw. If you don't care, leave the kitty as it is. I'm sure she's tried the scratching posts already. Our kitten climbed straight up the drapes before we had her declawed. Our lastest kitty is not declawed because he lives outside in his kingdom and needs his claws. There's no easy answer.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Glen yes it is a divided subject. What it usually comes down to is $. As you noted housefold damage, not being at home, pet having full run of the home. I would recommend since the pet is doing damage already it will not change, even with placing multiple scratching posts.

In our opinion find a clinic that will do the procedure by scapel or laser. The laser will lessen the pain because it seals the nerve endings thus less pain. The scapel procedure is next best method. The worst is the "resco method".

Next most of the damage is done by the front feet. We recommend declawing the front feet only. This allows the cat to still climb or defend itself if it gets outside.

These are our beliefs and how we practice in our clinic. we're now on our 2nd laser and looking at adding another laser sometime in the next 2 years. 95% of our surgeries are done with the laser. So tell her to find a clinic the uses a laser for doing surgical procedures. The pets are back playing the next day as if nothing has changed. Also the younger the pet is allows for a quicker recovery from this procedure.

Hope this helps
Chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:23 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yes, this is one of those questions that has ya for it or against it.

If the cat is gonna be an outside kitty, it is a NO GO! Period!

If the cat is NEVER gonna go out, then, we have done it, and suggest thinking about doing just the fronts. This worked for us for many kitties, they did not claw the furniture with the backs. That said, I have heard of some kitties that actually used the backs and did more damage than just the front could do. (Revenge? )

Have had no experience with the laser, but on reading this recommendation, I would go there!

Yes, the kitties we had de-clawed had some discomfort, but, they seemed to get over it quickly, the furniture was saved. It worked for us.

Good luck to your friends.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I believe like Others have said. If it is an outside cat it needs to have it's claws to defend, hunt, etc., but if it is an inside cat it does not really need its front claws. Keep the back ones. They do not do damage like the front ones do and if there is an occasional outside accidental trek, it still can use them for defense.

Our last cat live into his 19th year. He traveled the world with us; Cuba, Japan, and several trips across the U.S., and all without his front claws.

Yep! Looks like only two choices. Declaw and have many years enjoying you cat, or do not declaw and buy furniture every time they are going to have company over.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 AM   #6
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Glenn and Lorraine, our last cat lived to 13 and was an outdoor cat and the master of his domain. He was not declawed. We have had indoor cats with just front claws removed, and we all, including the furniture, survived. Our current cat was not declawed and he pretty much behaved with the stick-house furniture. However, when we started fulltiming, he really, really did NOT like traveling and started to go after the furnishings. We felt he was too old (6 years) to be declawed, so he has gone to live with our son. While we miss Sammie, we're all happier and he no longer claws the furniture. The laser does sound like the way to go - less painful. Good luck to your friends in making their decision.
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 AM   #7
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
We are on our second cat (laying on my leg right now). I believe that there is a special corner of Hell just for those people who declaw cats. IMHO Both cats understood NO and a spray bottle.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
We have always had cats and traveled with cats have 3 now.. We never declaw, but keep their claws clip , they also prefer the scratching unit that is called "Super scratcher" its flat, about 22 inches long 12 inches wide, there is a smaller one also, buy them at wally world or pet smart. We have never had a cat (so far!) scratch our furniture.
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:41 AM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Personally, I am against de-clawing, especially if the cat is allowed to roam outside at all. Cats are natural predators and they need their claws. Again, note that I said this is a personal matter. Cat owners will do what they want with their cats. As for clawing the furniture, they can be taught not to do it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 11:00 AM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
This is a sensitive subject for some cat owners, and animal rights people too.
This is my opuion, If the cat is never going outside ( house cat ) I say get them declawed at a early age, my cat Reco was declawed and he did very well for himself. I still had a scratching post for him and he did his Moc scratching. but be fair warned, when they have no front claws they tend to use there teeth and hind leg claws more when you get rough with them.

Do they realy need them???

Old 05-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #11
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We had Nino's front feet declawed. I believe they used the laser on him. He recovered quickly. Was done at an early age when he was a kitten. He has his back claws and I keep them trimmed. He is totally an inside cat.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:03 PM   #12
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have three inside cats and I just keep there claws trimmed and allow them a good scratching post, they have never touched anything other that the post for the sharpening. As I would never take out there claws. If you're significant other started scratching allot would you go and have his or hers finger nails removed???
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agreed with others on the Outside need Claws.

Ours... in-house only, 2 cats have front declawed older "Penny" the mother was too old, she was a stray and DW noted she was carrying, took her in and well rest is history. Penny has ruined a number of our furnishings but we love her too much to do much about it.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Indoor cat - declaw

Surgery - Laser

Outdoor cat - Never ever declaw.

One caveat - do it at an early age.

We love our cat BUT we love our furnishings also, declawing provides both of these.......

MY Opinion ONLY!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #15
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Waldo238,
Wouldn't that depend on the situation?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 08:02 AM   #16
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
You can also get rubber tips put on the claws from what I have heard.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #17
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I have owned many cats over the years and never lost a piece of furniture. We provide a good scratching post and a little squirt of water whenever they tried to use the furniture quickly persuaded the kitty to use the post. Once trained I have never had a cat attempt to scratch the furniture. From what I have been told this is one of the most painful procedures and you are robbing the cat of its natural defense. It's strictly a personal choice but I would never own a cat if I had to do that to it.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #18
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
OWN a cat? Who are you kidding? OWN a cat. How about being staff to a cat? g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #19
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
bigmurf.

PRICELESS

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We are foster parents for a cat...and looks like we are going to be permanent parents for him. He's inside only, and the way he was tearing things up, either he got declawed or he was gone.

Got declawed and is now fine...okay tolerable.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote