Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
SLM1949

M.O.C. #8702
GFCI problems

Our unit is parked on a seasonal site. We went home for a few weeks and when we returned we found that the GFCI had "popped". We were unable to reset it, so a local RV supply clerk suggested that we replace the GFCI. I am referring to the recepticle near the bathroom wash basin in the 3685FL. Nothing was plugged into it while we were gone. Well, the new one popped immediately too. A regular recepticle will work, but we want to figure out the problem with the GFCI, so we are baffled. Any suggestions?

SLM1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
There is more than just that receptacle on that GFCI. Might try to see what is not working when it is tripped. I know the outside receptacle, ceiling fan and more is on that circuit in our Mountaineer.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sandra--While I was typing this this lengthy response- SlickWillie beat me to the idea of the other recepticals and etc on that GFCI's line. Tihs has to be shorting out somewhere! The GFCI's are not the only thing on that circuit! See if you can locate the breaker that that CFGI is on the then turn it off! Check to see what else goes off with that breaker, then check all of the recepticals that are affected with that breaker and CFGI. There is probably a loose ground or wire somewhere in that line! I know it sounds dumb but that's the first thing to check then it goes to the breaker and see if there is a wire loose on it!
If your unit is just sitting on a seasonal site it may also be some of our little friends such as squirrels or mice that have eaten the covering off some wires and it's shorting out from that! I know of two couples that had cars sitting beside their garage or outside somewhere on their property and the squirrels got up in the motor and ate all of the wiring insulation off all the wires under the hood! How they did it without shocking themselves from the battery power I don't know but it did happen!
If you are unsure or unsecure of working with the electrical on your unit I'd contact an electrician. He/she can check things out by putting on a meter. If you are doing it yourself, don't play around with the shore power or the battery connected after you check out the line or connections on the line with the GFCI, you could get a pretty good jolt from your unit.
This is my first suggestion and I'm sure others will be along and have more comments. You also migiht what to go the the Search Engine at the top of this page and check out any other postings or threads of GFCIs. Seems to me there are several! Keep us informed!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Look under your breaker panel. There are a series of buss type connections. I found several 'sorta loose' connections in mine. Might cause the GFCI to trip.

If nothing in your unit changed the culprit may be the site power. If you can, check the polarity of the site. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the neutral and grounds were swapped by an incompetent electrician. Happens all the time and I believe it will cause GFCI to trip also. In my case it cause the GFCI breaker to trip whenever I plugged the Monty into my house power.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:48 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
SLM1949, We have had an intermittent problem with ours in the kitchen tripping out. It was always after a good rain. On ours, not sure on yours, the outside outlets are connected to the GFCI and were getting water in them and doing what they were suppposed to do - trip out the GFCI. I usually end up taking the wife's hair dryer and blowing out the outlets. We have one on the street side and the other is in back of the refer, which I think is the one getting wet. You might explore these avenues if it may be moisture related....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote