Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2012, 11:21 AM   #1
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I think Jekyll Island is out, need more ideas

Well, after looking at our Woodall's book and seeing the typical site width at 20 feet, it appears that we need to drop back and punt on this idea, unless someone has been there and knows sites that would be condusive to a 17' wide rig when the awning is extended?? I can't remember if that was why we decided to go elsewhere a couple of years ago?? What we are hoping to find is some kind of campground that is on the beach (definitely not Myrtle as we will be there in the summer). Any other ideas for Georgia coast, extreme northern Florida coast?? Looked up Tybee Island in Savannah and it looked somewhat attractive, need some help here folks!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Bingo,
How about St. James Island State Park in South Carolina? George and Rosetta loves it and it will be one of our destinations this year.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:30 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
That looks pretty inviting Jim, thanks for the info. That is the first on the list of possibilities. Wonder if it fills up at Thanksgiving??
Bingo
Old 01-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Bingo,

I wouldn't rule out Brunswick area, it has a lot of things to see and do. Jekyll Island is still worth going too, for the day. As mentioned in the other post, there is St. Simon's Island, St. Marys, etc. We really enjoyed our stay in the area and will go back, and stay at Coastal Georgia again.

Coastal Georgia CG is really nice, fairly new, long cement pads on the pull thrus and back-ins. The back-ins in the very back are right up against the lake. Have you looked at the reviews in RV Park Reviews ? http://www.campgroundreviews.com/regions...Brunswick.html
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
We spent 5 nights at Hunting Island State Park, S.C. this past Aug. Might be a little north for your desires.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
mobil what did you think of Hunting Island State park? I know a guy that lives close and just loves it but he just visits on a day basis. It sounds life a great place for a midwinter vacation.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:23 PM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks Tom,
Brunswick is still on the list now, with Coastal Ga RV Resort as the primary abode (I really like those back ins beside the lake). Will make a list and hopefully make a selection before the end of the month, after consultation with the women (whoops, I mean the bosses). Interestingly enough, did a check on driving distance to Disney and told DW that it was 3 and 1/2 hours from the campground, her response was a pleasant "hmmmmmm, interesting". Gotta hunch, Brunswick may undergo strong consideration! Still open for other suggestions, using the MOC as a research tool is just another reason the MOC is great!!
Bingo
Old 01-03-2012, 03:31 AM   #8
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Bingo, We love James Island State park in Charleston. Large sites, friendly, helpful hosts, beautiful location, lots to do. Recommend it highly. Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 AM   #9
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We stayed on Jekyll Island in the fall of 2009 in out Big Sky... I checked my blog and can't find where I wrote anything against the campground so it must not have been a problem.. We loved it there but only stayed one night...That entire area is beautiful all the way down to Jacksonville.. Fort Cinch State Park is one of our favorite (FL) and Amelia Island has some of the best shops.....There are two campgrounds at Fort Cinch.. The one on the beach is wide open but the other one has a ton of trees...

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #10
mobil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10437
MLH, we liked Hunting Island and would stay again. We had a nice wide sight, water and 50A. Interior roads in the campground can be challenging as many trees are right next to the road, w/sharp bends, narrow. Trees were mostly tall pines. Skeeters were thick at sundown. We were in a loop away from the beach. Since you have a close contact maybe he could visit and suggest some sights. We used the descriptions on their website and did ok. The beach was real nice, dogs allowed, bikes allowed. Some college kids were doing some mud sculptures on some washed up trees. They were very well done. Oh, the last bridge getting to the park was a bit on the narrow side, maybe 8.5' lanes it seemed.
mobil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We have stayed at Jekyll numerous times with our Montana. It was a 2955 but they do have a section for big rigs with no trees, larger and pull throughs. Theses are in section B and I am almost positive your rig will fit in there. When we where there last there was a 3400 in one of the woodeed sites. I would stick to section B until you personally can mark the sites. They are nice sites just not real wooded. We love Jekyll. Biking is the best. You can bike any where on the island easy right along the beach. The only negative is when are you going? They have major issues with no seeums. We went in late April and they drove us crazy. I would be more worried about the "no see ums" then getting your rig in section B. We have a 40 ft Big Sky and we would not hesitate to put it in the pull throughs in section B. Call and ask them about the no seeums they told us when they hit the prior year. Good luck. any questions feel free to ask. It's a beautiful place. Definitely worth the trip. Oh, its an island so make sure you get all your groceries before you get there. Staples are really expensive and restaurants are pricey.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #12
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Looking at Google maps, it appears that Coastal Georgia RV Resort is very close to I-95. Tom, was the interstate noise present at the park?? I know I-95 is a major interstate and I would assume there would be heavy truck traffic all night long. The distance from the corner of the park to the Interstate appears to be about 800-1000 feet. Cdaniels, I sent you a PM with more specific questions regarding the site widths in Section B you referred to. Still thinking!!
Bingo

On edit: And looking closer at the map it appears that there is a large truck stop within 600 feet of the side of the park. It would appear that noise could be a major drawback to Coastal Georgia. Wonder how loud a row of idling semis would be 600 feet away?? Dang it, I may be back to the drawing board, Jim's suggestion for South Carolina is looking better and better.
Old 01-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #13
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
Bingo,
We were there in March of 2010, I cant remember if we used the AC much or not, but I do not remember hearing any interstate or truck stop noise. I know what you mean with the road noise, I HATE THAT!! and DW and I both do not remember hearing road noise.

We do have this CG on our list for returning, so I would say, give it a try.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Bingo. As mentioned we stayed at James Island and really enjoyed it. No major Highways, has a dog park, walking/bike trails, 15 mins from downtown Charleston. Parked the dually in the parking garage next to the visitiors center (first floor) and rode the trolly any where we wanted to go in Charleston. A lot of history in the area, the only Tea plantations in the US nearby and other attractions. Definitely a go back for us.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 02:03 PM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I assume there is parking at the camp-sites as well? Looking at it on aerial mapping it appears that the sites are all separated by trees, roomy sites?, lots of bike paths, etc. I am sure there will be plenty of shopping opportunities nearby for the women, Black Friday id you didn't know is a major holiday in the eyes of these women. Still torn as to where to go, but it is only this year, next year may lead to another area as well.
Bingo
Old 01-10-2012, 05:59 AM   #16
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The women have spoken. Even though I received fantastic information from Bill and Cindy Daniels via e-mail that had convinced me to try Jekyll Island, I think it has been decided for me that the Jekyll Island trip will have to wait for another year or so. We are hoping to be able to get reservations at James Island County Park for the entire week of Thanksgiving. The deciding factor was primarily shopping (there are malls, downtown and an outlet mall that appear to be a very short drive from the campground). We have never been to this area before, but the tourism opportunities that I have researched on the web this weekend appear to be excellent. Sailing cruises, Fort Sumter, historic district, restaurants, seafood, restaurants, seafood......did I mention restaurants and seafood?? Thanks to all for the help, now on to planning the rest of the year. Looking at Myrtle Beach for 10 days in July, still considering NE rally, haven't heard if there will be a Mid-Atlantic rally but am holding a couple of days open just in case someone volunteers to head it up. Local trips galore, and hopefully some odds and ends here and there. I am truly enjoying the planning process this year, with the company that I work for going through a buyout last June, I have been rewarded with four weeks vacation for the first time in my life, two extra weeks to plan for!! C'mon Spring!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Last time I was at James Island, they had a shuttle to downtown Charleston. Probably still do.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
We hope to go to James Island around the end of Feb or early March.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tim,
Appreciate the info, but the shuttle is irrelevant simply because I can not take three women shopping and be able to physically carry their purchases on a shuttle, a bus, heck it is difficult in a pickup truck without using the bed!! Even if we took the shuttle simply for sightseeing, I know them too well to think that we would possibly come back empty handed. Thus are the perils with living with a house-full of shop-happy, bargain-seeking, spend-crazy womeners!! Whewww, glad I got that out of my system ten months in advance!
Bingo

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #20
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Bingo,
Your relief will be short lived, trust me.