Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 AM   #1
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Picture in signature

I see many post with pictures of their rigs in the signature. How does on do this?

Thanks

Montana_1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 01:00 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
sjordan007,
The first thing you need to do is post the picture somewhere on the internet. There are many picture sites. Some are free and some are fee based. I use PictureTrail. I think Steve Reigle uses Tinypic or something similar and there are many many more out there.

After you get it posted on the internet you just post a link to it in your signature block.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:57 AM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Look down a few threads to the one called “Inserting a photo.” Steve Reigle gives a good explanation of how to do it. I followed his instructions, and, as you can see from my signature, it works.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 04:14 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This has been asked enough that I just copied and saved the original post so it's a simple matter of copying and pasting it here --

inserting a picture -

First you have to have the photo out on the internet somewhere, not on your personal pc. If you don't have a place to put a picture, I'd recommend www.tinypic.com . You can place pictures there for free. The picture cannot be more than 250k in size or they will automatically trim it down.

At tinypic, use the Browse button to find the picture on your pc. Then click the 'Host It' button. When the page comes back, scroll down and you'll see several boxes with urls in them. For posting here, click in the box for the one with the IMG tags on each end. Those tags are important for displaying a picture here.

After clicking in that box the url should be highlighted. Hold the ctrl key and press the 'c' key to copy the url. Sorry if too elementary, it's hard to tell level of knowledge from a post.

Then in your post, just paste (ctrl v) the url in your post. You can then click the Preview Reply button if you want to see what your post will look like before you submit it. When done, close the preview window and click the Submit Reply button.

I'd recommend your picture pasted into a post be no more than about 640x480 or thereabouts in size. You can tell the size by rightclicking and selecting properties (works that way on mine, anyhow). If you need to resize the picture and don't have software to do that, Irfanview is free at www.irfanview.com . This is what I usually use. After resizing I also do File/Save AS (rather than file/save or the save button). There I can tell it to save at 65% quality. . 30% quality usually works as well and makes for an even smaller filesize. That significantly reduces the size of the file itself so it will load faster for those on a slow connection (much appreciated if you'd do this).

It's a lot easier than it sounds.

If you want the picture to be part of your signature, go to your profile and paste that same url, with img tags, in the signature box.

Good luck. Post back if you have any problems with it. One of us will be along to help.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
This is a test. I reduced the picture to 30%, I think, but it stills seems big. Any suggestions, Steve?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 06:47 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, is that 30% quality or 30% reduction in quality.Different graphics packages label it differently. So let's say 30% quality is 70% reduction in quality. Or 30% reduction in quality is 70% quality. Sorry so confusing but necessary for me to say the following.

I've been playing around with the pictures Vicki uses in her postcards, trying to make the filesize even smaller so she can get more in a postcard without it being too large. I'm finding on many pictures I can go as low as 30% quality and still look acceptable. Some require higher quality settings though. So, if you did a 30% reduction in quality, try 70% or somewhere inbetween.

If you meant you reduced the physical dimensions (like from 1600x1200 to 400x300) then try reducing quality. You can reduce quality significantly and not really notice it on a monitor. Printing is a different animal, though.

What graphics package do you use for this?

I just downloaded and reduced quality some more but the results were not great, especially the faces of your granddaughters. That's the result of reducing quality on one that's already been reduced. It's best to start with the original rather than work from one already reduced and saved. You probably already knew that though.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I used the programs that you recommended and chose 30%. I'll look at it again. Thanks for your help. Sure don't want to mess up those pretty little faces and the old lady needs all the quality she can get.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:55 PM   #8
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Steve- Thanks for the info. I went on photobucket and If I resize to 25% of the photo it is really small. So I had to delete it and start back to the original, as once you resize you can`t change it back. Thx again and as usual you are there with good advice, as you said its easier than one thinks.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 04:51 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice picture, Mark and Donita. We were in a restaurant recently that also had $1.00 bills tacked to the walls. Interesting that it would also show up in your picture. The burger shop was in Jefferson, Texas.
Old 06-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #10
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Thank-you Judy, This picture was at No Name Key Pub on Big Pine Key. A great place to visit, out in the middle of nowhere. A burger, fries and beer was just over $7.00. And the beer was cold!!! We just got finished fishing and needed a bite to eat.
mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2005, 01:48 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Boy, you really like to rub it in, mgdg! My favorites: eating and fishing!
Old 06-07-2005, 06:54 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, if you used irfanview, then 30% is 30% quality, 70% reduction in quality. The picture looks good here. I'm not sure why it's 115k. I would have guessed maybe 25k at most. If you want to email me the original I'll play with it a bit and see what I can come up with.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #13
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Thanks for the help, I didn't realize my orig. post had been moved here. Guess I need to slow down an look a little closer...

I'll be posting in my signaturs soon...

dave
Old 07-17-2005, 05:25 AM   #14
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
TEST
Old 07-17-2005, 05:34 AM   #15
Montana_1929
Established Member

M.O.C. #1929
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sjordan007

I see many post with pictures of their rigs in the signature. How does on do this?

Thanks

Thanks for all the help...Finally got it worked out...
Old 07-17-2005, 10:17 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good job, Dave! And only 16k, too. Excellent. Good lookin' rig, too. (Don't forget to raise those landing gear before you pull out!)
Old 08-02-2005, 03:57 PM   #17
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I just can't seem to get my picture reduced in size. Computer dummy.
gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:33 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gitrdun, if you want to email your picture to me I'll reduce it for you. sreigle at highstream dot net. Sorry but I don't like to put the full address where the bots can pick it up. So replace the 'at' and 'dot' with @ and .