Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
Dually valve extenders

I just bought a new Chevy 3500 dually and I am looking at valve extenders for the inside wheels. What works the best?
Thanks
Steve

mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

I don’t like extenders.

However our 2009 Silverado 3500 has wheels that when you put them on the way most truck wheels are supposed to be the inside valve stem is behind one of the wheel webs. So we have to put both valve stems in the same hole.

I still don’t use extenders but it is difficult to check tire pressure on the inside duel. You also have to use the long tire inflation tool to put air in them.

Fortunately in my case because of my trucking background I have the tools needed to do this without valve extenders.

The best valve extenders I have seen are the ones with the flexible hose that fastens the end under one of the wheel lugs or axel bolts. They seem to be less prone to leaking. You will find them on the late model U-Haul 26 ft trucks if you would like to see what they look like.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 02:17 AM   #3
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
I have the metal dual headed chuck that you buy connected to piece of hose with a air gauge connected to it that you can buy at Harbour freight or any automotive store. Do they make a longer metal dual headed chuck?
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:24 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Steve,
I just went down to local auto parts store and got their best flexible steel extenders. They are the first I've ever used. I never had a dually before. I've had them on for about 10 years now with no problems. I've had them on and off several times and so far they have worked very well. I don't even remember the brand name. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote