Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
353RL Slide Leak

I have been lurking for a while, but finally have something useful to ask.

We have a 2016 High Country 353RL and the slide for the theater seat/ dining table gets wet at the bottom/ center when travelling in the wet. It isn't the slide floor, but the fixed floor. There are no leaks when the slide is out, nor when sitting static with the slide closed. The only area that's wet is the center and back, decreasing as you go back. It appears to be coming from the wheel well, but I can't see where it may be coming thru. The slide appears to retract evenly, and the gap at the bottom is the same as the top. The slides are operated by cables, and I have the manual and will be checking the rigging in the next couple of days, but was wondering if someone may have another idea. With the slide open I can't see any seals in that area, same as the other side,

I don't want to take it somewhere as I need to know what's happening (aircraft mechanic for 32 years) and how to fix it if it happens again. I fixed a water leak (wind driven rain only) from the black/ galley tank vents by applying some basic aircraft sealing techniques.

timandpeggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
There is no inner fender as in cars and trucks, so water off the road is kicked right off the tires underneath the slide when traveling on the road in rain. There is a seal that runs underneath the entire length of the slide. Looking under the slide above the tires you can see it attached to the main flooring touching the black Darco fabric on the slide floor when retracted or extended. Perhaps it is damaged or is folded over itself.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Also at each end of that seal is a triangle piece that seals the ends. On my old unit one of those came off and water from the tire would come into the unit.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On mine that seal was sticky backed and stuck to the frame tubing and then screwed on the end. On one side the seal came loose and was hanging down. Once I stuck it back down the problem was solved.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 04:22 AM   #5
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
Thanks all for the info. I compared the slide seals right to left, and it appears that Keystone may have forgotten something. On the right side (the leaker), there's metal and that's it, no rubber seal. The left (which stays dry) has 2 seals, a bulb seal along the bottom of the slide floor, and a flange seal along the top of the fenders that the slide seals against. I'm going to take pictures and toss it to Keystone and see what they say.
Old 11-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If worse comes to worse, I got what I used to fix it from an auto parts store. You can get rubber door seals that peel and glue down and I added some 3M auto trim tape to hold it down even better.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:18 AM   #7
modela2007
Established Member

M.O.C. #17712
What did Keystone say? Our 353RL has the same thing.
modela2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 02:51 AM   #8
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
I was just able to get it in for evaluation a couple of weeks ago, but the dealer had no problem seeing the missing seal. I'll be going over sometime this week (around other appointments) and will post once I find out.
Old 01-31-2016, 02:52 AM   #9
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
I was just able to get it in for evaluation a couple of weeks ago, but the dealer had no problem seeing the missing seal. I'll be going over sometime this week (around other appointments) and will post once I find out.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:40 AM   #10
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
2014 HC 305 RL When we took delivery we drove about 250 miles through heavy rain. Both sides of floor adjacent to slide-main floor junction were wet for the full length of the slide. Dried up in 36 hours with towels then fans. Took it back to dealer and found no sealer for full length of slide. After 4-5 weeks of communication,pics,etc. Keystone finally gave OK for dealer fix which took less than 1 hour for dealer to apply seal. No problems since but not much travel in rain either. Hope it stays dry.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
timandpeggy
Established Member

M.O.C. #17685
We'll, I have no idea why, but Keystone approved the seal installation under warranty without any issues. The dealer will be doing some other warranty repairs that were also approved (main slide starting to drag, dining table splitting, level-up not reliable), so once all the parts come in (should be in a week, at least that was what I was told) they'll handle it.