Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
New Member that wants to learn

Hi gang,

Just a little information about us. We currently own a dog and cat boarding kennel and my hubby is an insurance adjuster. We are planning on selling the kennel and I will start traveling with hubby when he goes storm trooping. We currently own a 2001 Sportsman by New Vision that is 31.5 w two slides and we have a 2005 Crew Cab LB, Diesel Duramax with an Allison tranmission. We bought the New Vision in 2005 before we even had a truck.

Because we will really be living and using our Fifth Wheel as an office we are looking at going into something larger. When hubby had his office set up the only room was on the couch or in the bedroom.

I have fallen in love with the Montana 3400RL and I am here doing research about the trailer and if our truck will be able to handle the weight.

All of you seem so nice and helpful. I have tons of questions as I have spent exactly 6 night in our RV, but I am looking forward to spending at least six months a year in the near future.

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Hi Driftwoodgal and Welcome to the MOC Family.

The 3400 is a very popular unit and I am sure someone around here will be able to answer all your questions.

As far as the 2500 with the D/A being able to handle the 3400? You bet it can and you will find a number of MOCers using the same TV to haul their 3400 around.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:06 PM   #3
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Welcome to MOC, Driftwoodgal. You found the right place to ask questions about Montanas. The 3400 seems to be one of the more popular units right now and I am sure that someone will chime in soon about theirs! Obviously, I am biased, but I don’t believe you can go wrong with a Montana; we love ours more every time we use it!

Like Glenn said, your truck should handle that unit with no problem at all.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Welcome to the MOC! Someone will be along to answer your question, I have a smaller unit, the 2955 so you should wait for an expert to arrive!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Hi Driftwoodgal,

I'm happy to see that you joined the MOC. You will definately get the answers to your questions here.

Good Luck!
Lou
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:21 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Welcome Driftwoodgal,
we had a Sportsmen 3051 w/2 slides before the Montana and we really like the Montana a lot better. It has a lot more room and seems to be put together better as well. We had a few issues with our Sportsmen that had to be taken back to the dealer a couple of times. So far only minor things with the Monty. We do not full time in ours so I am not a real big help to how it is staying in it for 6 months at a time. But we do take it on 2-3 vacations at least twice a year. Your Duramax will handle it fine.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 PM   #7
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Driftwoodgal, Welcome to the MOC. As everyone has said this is the place to get your answer. Here is the first one, we have an '03 Durmax/allison trany and it will pull a 3400rl as that is what we are pulling ours with. It is a great combination. We pulled ours for over 10,000 miles since last summer and have had no problems. I know that you will love the 3400rl. It has a great place for an office and yet it will be a good home the rest of the time. Good luck on what ever you buy.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, howdy, fellow Texan,

Ain't quite sure where Driftwood is, but I would bet it's on the Gulf Coast. If you're like me, I lived on the coast all my life and am lookin' for the mountains. Don't like sand in my hot dogs any more.

There is plenty of info on this forum. These folks are real problem solvers. Reading it regularly has answered questions for me that I didn't even know to ask. And because of that, I have avoided problems rather than experiencing them, little things like how to keep from frying your hot water heater.

Just ask away. There are no dumb questions, but maybe a few dumb answers. Everybody tries to be real helpful and supportive. I don't think you will ever be sorry you joined here.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:01 AM   #9
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Thanks for the howdys one and all.

Stiles Watson,

I am near Austin Texas in the town of Driftwood. The town got it's name from flooding years ago that left tons of driftwood lying about. The town consists of a church that is over 100 years old and a post office. The nearest grocery store is 7 miles away and the nearest Walmart is 18 miles away.

First question that I have. Where is the best place to post my questions about the 3400RL and the Montanas in general or can you use the search engine and find out all the information that you need?

I belong to a message board similar to this that deals with crusing on Royal Carribean ships. Any one that needs info about that have logged many hours on that thread And cruising is one of our passions.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:45 AM   #10
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to MOC. As you have already discovered, this is a good place to get information and honest answers. Good luck in your search for the Montana that is right for you.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 03:50 AM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dear Driftwoodgal,
The 3400 works great for a home office. We used ours that way fulltime for 9 months before I retired. We had other units before the Monty and I had to use the kitchen table area for an office. In the 3400 I had a full size PC, printer/scanner, battery backup system and speaker system (with the subwoofer) on the desk or the floor under the desk. We added a keyboard drawer that slides in and out, swivels and tilts. There is still a great sense of roominess. We love the Monty and have not had any major problems.
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:34 PM   #12
Rocky2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2840
Driftwoodgal,

You would not be sorry with the 3400. We have lived in ours fulltime since June 2005 (we are fairly new to this) but love it.
We have 3 medium size (50-70 pounds) dogs and other than them wanting to walk where you walk it has been a good choice. The desk in it is wonderful and I use the dining table as a sewing table when the mood strikes.
We haven't regretted our decision.
We have a Chevy diesel Silverado which Joe added a chip and some other stuff to - it pulls the 3400 up and down hills no problem.
We pass up the gas powered trucks and motorhomes all the time without even trying very hard.

Good luck on your decision and welcome aboard.
Laura
Rocky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #13
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
welcome!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:49 AM   #14
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Welcome aboard. You are going to love that Montana 3400. Good luck on your search.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:49 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard! You came to the right place for some good straightforward answers. Don't hesitate to ask questions. There is no dumb question here.

I have a different truck but there are many here towing the 3400 and heavier Montanas with trucks similar to yours. From what I hear you'll have no problem.

Good luck and let us hear all questions.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote