Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #21
Half Fast Rusty
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18143
Everybody wants to complain about their CW. Mine is pretty good and I have a good relationship with the service guy. The Jack wasn't working, actually making some nasty noise and they replaced it. I didn't at the time have to contact Lippert or Keystone on that issue. There were other issues with that rig also that were frustrating. I think the HC was a Friday rig. Something was always wrong. The continual issues with the leveling system is what finally pushed me over the edge.

Russ & Nancy Porterfield
Half Fast Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:34 PM   #22
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Were at a campground last month and a couple and in with their SOB fifth wheel with the 3.0 system. The system went into error mode and it took over a half hour to finally clear the error. It would adjust the landing jacks and would then drop the very rear jacks but would shut down before lowering the center jacks. They ended up having to manually retract the landing jacks to reset the system. I was just happy we have the hydraulic system.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:55 PM   #23
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
With leaks, adjusting, and slides opening on temperature changes I'll keep the electric system. I picked my HC up Friday after warranty repairs and noticed the Left Front Error. Happened once on my last 5er and once on the HC. Call LCI and they will walk you through the simple process if you need to, they are great.
The only part of clearing the error that takes a minute is connecting to the truck. Then drop all 6 (or 4) legs 6" - 8" manually, hit retract all and that should clear the error. Actually, cleaning after a fluid line burst is a plus for electric.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:47 PM   #24
Erikksen
Established Member

M.O.C. #21640
I also have a 2016 362RD High Country which seems particularly heavy around the rear jacks and it almost never auto levels without tripping the breakers. Then it faults out. I replaced the battery with an enournous industrial 12V thinking it might help but no dice. It pulls too much current on the right rear jack, very similar to the original poster.
Erikksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #25
papasiemers
Established Member

M.O.C. #18345
Auto level re-set

Have had the auto level problem a number of times. Down loaded the manual from Lippert. Found the instructions on how to reset the system (page 62 on my manual). When I follow the set-up, seems to work for a while.
papasiemers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #26
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I have a 370 BR and never had that problem. Never tripped a breaker. What does LCI think about next size up?
Old 06-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #27
Rdt1012@att.net
Established Member

M.O.C. #21758
level side to side first

It must be leveled side to side first. We have started using Andersen
levelers and find it easy to use. Wife on side with a level on the side of the
rig (High Country 379rd). I pull up on the levelers until she signals stop. This system allows you to get very close side to side level.

Put blocks under jacks. I have screwed 2 - 2x12x 1 foot together and put
a handle on them.

Agree the system is not the best out there and leaves a lot to be desired.
Rdt1012@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:43 PM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdt1012@att.net View Post
It must be leveled side to side first. We have started using Andersen
levelers and find it easy to use. Wife on side with a level on the side of the
rig (High Country 379rd). I pull up on the levelers until she signals stop. This system allows you to get very close side to side level.

Put blocks under jacks. I have screwed 2 - 2x12x 1 foot together and put
a handle on them.

Agree the system is not the best out there and leaves a lot to be desired.
I put a 2x10 under each leg to keep them clean. I have Legos if there is a great distance of travel for 1 or more legs. Then I just hit the auto level button. I have leveled on concrete, gravel, dirt, and grass and never did anything but let it do what it is supposed to.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #29
Jeff Csillag

M.O.C. #19633
JACk error with LCI system

I have a keystone 370br with the LCI 3.0 leveling system. I had all of the leveling issues mentioned before. Jack error, out of stroke, etc. What I did was extended all jacks 6”” from the fully retracted position. I then marked each jack and pressed the auto retracing per the manual. This zeroed out the jacks . When I pull into a site I level the trailer (side to side)at the tires by installing wood under the tires by backing over them. I then disconnect from my tow vehicle . I add 4” worth of plywood pads under each jack and hit auto level. It has worked well for me also watch out that the fuses don’t become loose from the motherboard. I had this happen to me and system wouldn’t work correctly.
I do agree the hydraulic system would be better. But there is a cost difference.
Jeff Csillag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #30
dfryk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19708
WOW! I'm glad we have the hydraulic on ours. No troubles.
dfryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #31
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I don't know what distance you are lowering your electric or hydraulic level-up but while at the last two Fall Rallies in Goshen the Lippert folks told us not to lower your legs anymore than 11". This creates an unsteady system and you will feel more sway and bounce while inside if over that extended length.
If you need to lower more than the 11" you need to use blocks of some kind whether it be the Lego blocks or common wood 2 bys. I've made up six sets of pads with handles to put under the level-ups when setting up. Four of them are 2X6 decking boards screwed to another set of the same in the crossing position. I've also made two that are three boards high and they normally go under the front level-ups but if there is a low spot in my site I put the three board high one where that low spot is. I also carry about 6-8- 4X4X 12" blocks in the bed of my TV just incase I run into a site that is REALLY unlevel and the Level-UP system has never failed me on leveling the unit. When parked on a level site I also carry some of those rubber stepping stones you can buy at any of the hardware stores and put them under the level-ups to keep them off the ground whether it be grass, gravel, sand or concrete. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 09:52 PM   #32
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Like Rondo I have never hand any problems with are self leveling system! And we camp in some very uneven places in the wood here in the NW in the mountains.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:00 PM   #33
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
I’m in the 20% club. LCI system has only worked about 20% of the time since new. One problem is you can’t reset the system unless you are hitched, and even then it is hit and miss. The 20% of the time it works, it works great, but I have pretty much given up on it and carry a carpenters level and just manually level it. Very poor system in my opinion.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:34 AM   #34
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
I am willing to bet I either have an issue with 2 of my levelers or a motherboard not sensing the right current draw. But until the dealer duplicates it, Auto-level is in the category of Government Intelligence.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:45 AM   #35
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do as Rondo does and like he and Buliderbob have never had a problem with our HYDRAULIC level up system.

It seems like most of the problems are with the electric system.

The less you have the jacks extended the more stable the Rv will be.It is called a Level up system but that does not mean it will level the RV under any condition. The RV has to be comparatively level before you auto level.The front of the Rv has to be a bit higher than the rear or the front legs will ground. There is a lot of leeway front to back but not very much side to side. We are referring to the hydraulic system.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:50 AM   #36
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We have an HC with 6point electric auto level. It didn’t work from factory and dealer had to replace motherboard and the wiring harness on one leg on the brand new trailer!!

Since then we have found it will work 3-4 times correctly (if we put leveling plates under jacks so jacks don’t extend very far on rear 4 jacks) then it will get an error code. Like others mentioned, you hook back up to truck manually extend all jacks at least 6” then hit retract all which “rehomes” the jacks. It usually works fine for 3-4 times after that.

Lippert seems to be a good company but they need to address the problems with this system! I suspect a recall is in order!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:56 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I think the electric system will be a topic of discussion with Lippert at the Fall rally
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 07:41 AM   #38
rdklein2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13494
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I think the electric system will be a topic of discussion with Lippert at the Fall rally
I full time & camp host regularly, been around both types of leveling systems.
I've found that when you extend the front jacks, don't pull the telescoping jack pins until your're almost to ground contact. Prior to setting the balance of the jacks, telescope each out to ground contact. Then press the auto level feature.
This will ensure the middle and rear end jacks have enough travel to complete the leveling sequence. Just remember, they build these units to sell......not to work!
rdklein2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #39
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:

Oh Yeah!!
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #40
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Wish we could be there for that but we still work for a living and this years schedule doesn’t allow for it. Hope y’all have a good time. Give em heck for me!!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote