Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
DITY BLACK TANK Replacement (also posted under legacy sticky)

My 05 Big Sky Black Tank is hopelessly broken around the outlet - repaired once before with PLasti-Mend, but this time 4 coats with fiberglass of Plasti-Mend over 2 days just cracked open all along the the new crack after a few days of use.
I assume its the same as PN-TS2463SD (Claimed to be 38 Gallons)
24 inches wide X 63 inches Long X 8 inches deep marked in yellow 294 that RichFAA had.
I emailed TravelStar about replacement availability and a nearby Dealer (their website no longer has RV Tanks on it) and they insist they only sell to dealers so we'll see how that goes.
ICON DIRECT has a very similar size Tank, albeit only 7" Deep and rated for only 27 Gallons.

When I measure my Tank Depth it seems closer to 7" versus the stated OEM 8"
Anyone used the ICON replacement?
Anyone replaced one themselves?
Cutting and re-installing the Toilet Drain shouldn't be too hard - Not sure how to reconnect the Vent. Will use a flexible rubber coupling from the new Tank Drain to the Drain Valve.

Suggestions requested!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If it were me, I'd get an exact replacement from trekwood.com
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:45 PM   #3
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Trekwood Tank or Icon Direct?

Thanks for the refferal!
Trekwood search reveals a 24x63x7 Holding Tank for 2012 Alpine (should fit mine too) at $249 versus same size at Icon for $315 (comes with tank monitors installed) - the same tank or is one better than the other?

I've pasted up my cracked leaky tank with "FLEX SEAL" tape - maybe I've stopped the "empty" tank slow drip... doubt it will hold up under filling....

Part of my problem may be related to being on a jobsite and having a Honey Wagon PUMP out once a week
Old 06-29-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
An update - Icon Spigot dimensions did not line up.
Trekwood was very helpful and found two tanks, but their online dimensions were rudimentary and couldn't be sure if 7" or 8" Deep fit best.
Another Websearch on just "RV Black Tanks" came up with "RVandVanSurplus" (Elkhart IN) and they had a completely detailed "technical" drawing of the Tank with all dimensions (7.88" Deep , 8.24" to center of Spigot, including radii and a part number of 333294 (294 is written in Yellow Chalk on my broken Tank) albeit its 42 Gallons while Keystone claims its 38...
Also, only $199 with $110 Shipping (much cheaper than ICON or Trekwood), so I ordered that tank from RVandVan surplus.
When it comes the ordeal begins...
Old 06-29-2018, 04:19 PM   #5
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I used rubber no hub connectors on the vent pipe, 1.5 inch, and also on the far side of the output so that I could easily change out the dump valve with more ease as well as provide you flex to the connections.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:13 PM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Not too pleased with RVandVan Surplus as they have yet to provide me a new tank - 3 weeks later.
They billed me for it, but claim they're waiting on a factory backlog versus my receipt which claims "In stock for quick shipment:
Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No matter where you buy it still has to come from the vendor in Elkhart or Goshen,In. They are overwhelmed as the manufacturers are Building RV's as fast as they can get them out the door. We waited 3 weeks for a part a long time ago.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:45 PM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
UPDATE
Finally received my Tank last week from RV&Van surplus. Manufacturer is "TravelStar".
Appeared to be identical, however installation resulted in the removable bracket having to lowered about 1/8" at the outlet end (as much as we could lift it by hand/foot) Definitely a 2 person job ALL day job (Thanks DW!) and the Tank Outlet was just a little higher than the remaining Dump valve pipe so I didn't try to jack the tank and removable bracket up any more (the new tank appeared to have some thicker molding and was tight at the top). 3" Rubber Connector to the Valterra Dump Valve solved that slight Downhill misalignment. Reconnecting to the Vent (opposite corner of the tank from the outlet was a challenge to get the new rubber vent connector on the tank to go all the way around the Vent Pipe (was cut flush off the old Tank)
New Waste Tank is 42 Gallons versus OEM (estimate?) of 38 Gallons for the Black Tank.
Replaced the Valterra Dump Valve seals (a little cruddy, but still serviceable after 12 years).
Reconnecting to the toilet involved a Black ABS 3" Connector to the Tank Inlet, some Pipe, a new 45 degree connector (had to remove the OEM connections to the old tank),
carefully lined up with the OEM Pipe/45 degree connector screwed under the Toilet and another 4" long 3" Rubber Connector.
Re-used the Tank Flusher and the new Tank Monitors (come with the tank) are working for now...
I added 4 support brackets ranging from a steel flat bar (under the outlet), to round conduit, to 1" AL Tube and 1" Tube with a wood block on top (most with some packing foam on top)
This actually took me several days while procuring parts.
Not an easy job and I still have to put the RV bottom insulation and plastic back up.
But within the realm of DITY