Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Final update on Black Tank replacement

Sorry to keep beating you with this topic, but this is the final update on this mess.
I put some tape over the Cracked toilet flange, and a wrap of 3 paper towels and a rubber band to hold it for the drippage when used.
This is what I found after the campout was over and back at home, I removed the toilet and the 8 screws that secure the flange to the floor it poped up on one side of the flange, so when the plumbing was installed, it was not a plumb fit to the floor, half of the flange was touching the finished floor and the other half was 3/16 of a inch above the floor, so when the flange was tightened it would cause pressure on the other side and cracked the flange all the way up to the rubber seal and then would leak.
I'm lucky that the twisting that was being applied did not crack the fitting that was put on the new tank, The way I solved the problem with the gap in the flange to the floor was to install flat washers under the flange to the floor this way the flange cant be twisted and break like the last two that were installed by Mike Thompson RV Service Shop.
The new tiolet seal was thick enugh to take up the washers it just compressed the seal a little more on one side. after filling up the bowl to the top and having my DW flush it while I was watching in the basement all was good at last..
I hope that you guys never have to go through this, a Factory job of 5 to 8 hours work turned into a 2 month of errors and mistakes on the part of my factory recomended dealer.
All is well Now time to go camping again with out any problems..
What a mess finally over.

Don

Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
But, did you have a good time, Don?? Glad to hear maybe it's finally fixed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

Sounds like you got it whipped!
Things like that can really be aggravating.

Old 05-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Had a great time Steve and were getting ready for another next month.
Agravation is over now Bill.
What get me angry about the whole thing is that the CEO of Travel Star told me that it seemed that M.T. RV. didn't know how to install a tank properly, and the kicker is that unless I go a gazillion miles to another autherised dealer I'm stuck with this dealer for parts and I'll have to transport them to the Non dealer for repair.