Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Auto adjusting Brakes and brake repairs

I talked to a member here at the fall rally that mentioned that they had had brake service at (I believe Camping World) and they had replaced the brakes on one wheel. They evidently didn't notice that the brakes that they were working on were self adjusting and replaced the assembly with a standard brake assembly. So my point is that if you have to have work done on your new self adjusting brakes be sure that they replace them with the same brakes and not a standard set... Dave

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you were told correctly about getting a brake job on one wheel, am I the only one finding that strange? It would seem to me that, at the least, you would do both brakes on an axle. Replacing a self-adjusting brake assembly on one side with a manual adjusting assembly while leaving the other side untouched sound like gross incompetence. Either that or I missed something.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
That is the story I got Stiles, one of the members at the rally told me he had three self adjusters and one regular because they had just had the self adjusters added. I think they had a brake drum or magnet issue and they just slapped another brake assembly on instead of diagnosing the problem properly. The CW crew evidently didn't notice that it was a self adjuster and used a standard set as a replacement. The member in question may be along shortly to "splain" the situation better than I can... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 AM   #4
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
It was me. The grease seal had blown out in our new rig so CW replaced the whole assembly. I didn't realize until the Rally that it was replaced with a non self adjusting. I'm in the process of contacting the service writer at CW.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Please keep us posted as to the outcome of that conversation ... good luck!

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ishler

It was me. The grease seal had blown out in our new rig so CW replaced the whole assembly. I didn't realize until the Rally that it was replaced with a non self adjusting. I'm in the process of contacting the service writer at CW.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:34 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Mike, did you have the work done in Churchville or Syracuse, assuming you were home? I don't know about Syracuse, but I wouldn't trust Churchville or Bath to touch my Monty again. They might have a couple of good techs, but most don't know which end to even connect to the TV.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
That's one of the BIG advantages of doing stuff yourself. Of course the older I get, the more I pay for it the next day in terms aches and pains!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Well the result is they are ordering the correct assembly and will replace it. It seems to have come as a surprise to the parts department and service manager. It's really a frustrating system they have as you deal with a service writer who deals with the service manager who deals with the parts manager.

Michelle, it's Churchville. This is the first problem I have had with them in 6 years. They have been good to us even squeezing us in to repair another brake problem on the way to the fall rally. I've heard never to go near Syracuse!
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 AM   #9
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
As I sit here shaking my head...Glad things seem to be working out well.

But for the life of me I cannot understand how the person doing the actual work could/would not notice the brake(s) were not the same as what came off. Those puppies don't even come close to looking the same.

Maybe 'corporate' should spend more time and money on competent service and the like instead of sending out all sorts of offers.'

Rant over.

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Bill,

To give you an example of that store, I tried to order the second AC, my unit is prewired with both 120AC and the control cable for the thermostat plus ready to tie into the ducts. They preceded to look up a number in their catalog and placed the order. I'm thinking that the number in the catalog is for a stand-a-lone AC, but I guess they know what they're doing, WRONG. After 2 weeks with no word I call. "Oh we ordered the wrong unit, we will have reorder and will take another week" Two more weeks go by and nothing from them. I contact a local RV Service Center that only does service, not sales. No problem they call Dometic and get the right parts ordered. From order to install would have been less than a week, but I ordered a Winegard Travler dish, and Winegard was running behind on deliveries, plus CW had no Winegard Certified Tech, while the Service Center had sent their Tech to the Winegard to be certifed for installation. So within several weeks I had a second AC and new Sat dish and love them both.