Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #1
ratfink11
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9683
Wet Bolts Not Taking Grease

Three of my wet bolts will not take grease. Any suggestions or tricks of the trade out there? We won`t even talk about the fact the dealer installed them with the zerk fitting towards the outside! Got a 90 degree grease gun fitting at Napa so I can get around that!

ratfink11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
If the bolts went in hard that is reason one.
If the dealer did not ream out tight bushings with a 9/16 ream that is a reason.
The grease holes should be at a 3 or 9 oclock position.
edit- the wet bolt would not accept grease to start with.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:04 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I agree with John, a ream is absolutely needed before assembly. When the bronze bushings are pressed into the spring ends they tend to get compressed. If not reamed before the bolts are inserted they tend to gall a shaving from the bushing into the grease hole thus blocking grease flow. The 9 and 3 o'clock orientation is just as important... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
mojavemike
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9997
I found one today that wouildn't take any so will take it out and see what is going on. The zerk is OK.
mojavemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Raise your suspension to take the weight off the bolt and they may take the grease. The 3 and 9 o'clock are critical positions to let the grease in. During my installation, I found one bolt that the hole was not drilled through. Best to grease the bolt before the install.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 05:34 AM   #6
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I've researched the installation from Mor/ryde. It's interesting to note that the instructions call for the grease hole to be facing down instead of the 3 and 9 position. Where did you guys see it should be at 3 and 9. I'm asking because I recently purchased a kit and will install it when the weather cools.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:48 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dexter calls for 3 and 9. I've been trying to figure out in my head where the load is on the bolt and I believe it's on the bottom of the bolt, is so that's the last place you would want the hole.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #8
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I actually feel the hole should be point towards the axle on the spring brackets and spring shackles. It is my thought that the spring compresses top and bottom and since the portion of the spring towards the axle is where the spring wraps around there is more of an opening so less chance of compression.
Just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 AM   #9
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Got it!! My shackles have the bolts installed and the hole is at the 3 or 9 depending which way you are looking. Makes sense to install the frame mount bolt the same. Thanks. It does say to grease the bolts before lowering the unit so adjustments can be made if it won't take grease.
Mike
Old 08-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
If the dealer didn't check the bolts before installing them, you may have some that the holes aren't drilled through to meet each other. Two of my bolts were like that and I had to re-drill them. As far as hole location, it doesn't matter to me because there's no weight on mine when I grease them.

Besides, if you can't get any grease in them now, wait a few miles after they start to wear and you'll be able to get grease in them then!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
John is right on here, shot grease in today for the second time. I would use a Marine grease that type should work best, with rain and snow around the exposed suspension.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #12
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
If you do not taper the exit of each hole of the shackle bolt where grease is injected to the bushing, you will likely run into problems getting grease to these new bushings. The edges of the holes are sharp and will pick up brass material as you push those new shackle bolts in. With the exit holes full of brass cuttings, that only forms a nice little plug to prevent grease from entering the bushing. I simply used a 3/16 drill bit to taper that exit portion of the grease hole on each bolt, so with this procedure, I did not have to ream my new bushings as the shackle bolts fitted perfectly. This was a kit from Dexter and greasing has been no problem with total weight on the shackles. Please note: that all wet bolts on the 2011 rigs are with the grease zerks to the outside of the spring and shackle.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I am getting ready to have my wet bolts installed and the shop doing the work has requested the info from this forum. It will be very helpful. Installing the end of Sept.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 04:58 AM   #14
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Has anyone put the Mor/ryde wet bolt kit in and had the same issues? Did you have to ream out the Mor/ryde kit like the Dexter?
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:12 AM   #15
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This is getting very confusing to me. I think we are talking about two different kits. I have the Mor/ryde which has (1) one grease exit hole. It sounds like the other brand has (2) two. Is this the case.
Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 05:21 AM   #16
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Has anyone put the Mor/ryde wet bolt kit in and had the same issues? Did you have to ream out the Mor/ryde kit like the Dexter?
Yes mine and Dave (exnavydiver) were mor/ryde kits.
Pineranch - there is only one side hole on the bolt. Grease goes in the zert fitting and down the center of the bolt shaft until it hits the exit hole and comes out. The exit hold is about half way down the bolt shaft.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #17
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
This statement was my two hole reference; "If the dealer didn't check the bolts before installing them, you may have some that the holes aren't drilled through to meet each other. Two of my bolts were like that and I had to re-drill them." Perhaps I'm just confusing myself in anticipation of doing my own soon. Also, I slip fitted the bushings and bolts on the bench and I can't see the need to ream the bushings since the bolts slide in and out freely.
Mike
Old 08-30-2010, 06:01 AM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Mike,
Some times the bushings get compressed when the are "forced" into the hole on the springs.
Old 08-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er
Yes mine and Dave (exnavydiver) were mor/ryde kits.
Pineranch - there is only one side hole on the bolt. Grease goes in the zert fitting and down the center of the bolt shaft until it hits the exit hole and comes out. The exit hold is about half way down the bolt shaft.
John, I was to understand I had the Mor/ryde kit. I checked and sure enough, I have a single hole which confirms Mor/ryde. However, when I looked at my shackles, they have "Dexter" stamped in them.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #20
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Eave,
Yes, the shackles, and bolts come from Dexter. The "Z" bracket that bolts to the Mor/ryde suspension it built by Mor/ryde. Then take the two plates and weld the sleeve between them and then insert the bushing.

At last years rally, Dexter was putting on wet bolts but did not have the "z" bracket. I brought it too every ones attention and they got it fixed. The Monty owner had to buy the "Z" bracket from Mor/ryde.
Dexter was selling wet bolts cheaper than Mor/ryde. The purchase of the "Z" bracket brought them close to the same cost.