Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2010, 08:08 AM   #21
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Since I installed the new battery I have not blown any fuses. Hope this fixes the problem. If not I will try your solution. Thanks

Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
As battery voltage drops the amps increase as the wattage remains constant. Yes the battery may be the culprit but also check all connections as they too can cause a voltage drop.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:26 AM   #23
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Very true about the voltage drop. I was at a state park quite a while back, that didn't have shore power. I used my battery pretty hard and to be curtious to others, didn't run my genset very much. Upon leaving is when I had the majority of my problems. Battery didn't get a full charge and I was on a rather steep site. The landing gear was all but out and just the process of retracting started to blow fuses. Haven't had the problem since so I assume it was the low battery. I did recently fine a lose ground that I'm sure wasn't helping matters. Be sure to go over all your connections as stated above. Some of the lugs were crimped on poorly, so I replaced them with soldered lugs. I feel much better with the wiring now.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #24
mikestock
Established Member

M.O.C. #7781
My '07 3500RL came with 40 amp fuse but I have blown it occasionally when raising the front end a long distance. Now I stop after 15 seconds or so, and move on to another task to let it cool before continuing.

I'm sure the fact that I have four Trojan golf cart batteries at 68 lbs. each and a washing machine installed it the front compartment doesn't help things.
mikestock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #25
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
i replaced the 40 amp self resetting breaker with the a new one and i have been trouble free for over a year. the factory breaker lasted about one yr.
presently in lewiston,id.
gene
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:04 AM   #26
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Gene, I didn't know the factory started putting in 40 amp circuit breakers from the factory. I've only heard of fuses being used. What year and model do you have?
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #27
snow
Established Member

M.O.C. #434
Hi, not wanting to steal your thread, but I want to leave for Texas, and just getting a new 2011 Chevy, i wanted to hook-up my 2007 Montana and see how things fit and work. Well, I started blowing fuses when trying to lift the 5er, took me awhile to find the 30 amp fuse as this hasn,t happened to me before. Blew 3 more fuses before I started calling Rv dealers for help. Well, it close to Xmas and they are shutting down till after the holidays...damn. Anyway, 3 dealers told me that a weak or low battery could be the culprit...so off to the store, buy a new group 27 battery...installed it and tried lifting it again, still blew the fuse.
After a few unreapable words, I found a dealer who was open n would come out. He checked the gears on the motor with a hand crank..no broken gears, motor okay...phew. He said I wouldn,t like the $75 service call n $55 diagnostic charge...for a lube problem..
I,ve always lubed the legs parts on the 5-er, but after 2 fifth wheels, no-one told me i needed to lube the motor shafts on both sides, inside n out, plus a lil hole to put lube in where the motor gears are. He said , they never do....so the reason for the fuse blowing was drag n cold weather. I look in the manual before calling him, it says nothing about lubing the landing gear, just call your dealer...Anyway, he recommended GEL LUBE...got some for $13 a can, maybe you can find it cheaper, but i wanna leave Dodge soon, so I just got it. Truck fits up fine to trailer, about 1" high, can deal with that in warmer weather. Don,t know if this helps, but thought I,d pass it along, Merry Xmas....George
p.s...heading to Brownsville..heard its 75 today....nice..
snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #28
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Thanks for the additional info. Lubing can be a problem. I lube my gears and shaft annually after I read several threads about gear failure. After I changed the battery I have not blown any fuses. At the Fall MOC Ra;lly in Goshen I mentioned my problem to Lippert and they also found that the leg on the motor side needed to be readjusted. They cut the mounting bracket and welded on a new one on and reattached the leg. So far so good. Again thenks.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote