Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Was that You???
Click Here to Login

Old 08-01-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
3 Monty sightings in ten miles

While returning from a Maine golf outing yesterday (July 31)I spotted no less than three Monty's heading North on I95 in the Hampton area of NH. They were far enough apart so they didn't seem to be traveling together but it all happened within a 10 mile run. The time was about 6:45 PM. Was that you????

Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
On our way back from Montana to Texas, we have seen a lot of Montanas, both on the road and in campgrounds. There are 5 in this park. We always walk around the park looking for Montana rigs.

Parks are looking full. In Johnstown, CO, we got the last pull through in a large park and we could only stay one night. We called for reservations in Bowie, TX for tomorrow and were turned away because they were full. What on earth people are doing in Bowie escapes me. I once lived about 20 miles from there.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:00 PM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Stiles, it seems like the camp grounds are benefiting from the economic conditions these days but it is hard to understand why with fuel prices the way they are. We were on Cape Cod camping last weekend and while in the office I heard the manager tell a customer that they were at capacity. Go figure! Anyway, I thought it was intersesting to see three Monty's in such a short distance and I didn't even mention the Monty I saw heading South earlier in the day.

Do you seem to be seeing more tenters than usual at the campgrounds this year? Maybe its me but I'm seeing large numbers of fancy tents.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Iam wandering if these campgrounds are filling up with locals. It's getting too expensive to travel any distance so a lot of people are just camping closer to home,which they normally don't do.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just before 4th of July, local news station did a piece on still being able to get away and afford it, and all that. One of the suggestions was to go camping. Interviewed a number of people in campgrounds, in tents, the way I remember it, and they were all going, yea, we can go just a few miles to a local campground, the kids don't care how far it is from home, and we can still give them a vacation.

We have a state park just 4 miles from our front door, 7 miles the way we have to take Tana out of here due to roads and trees. We also have a gal just up the road that sells local produce, yummy corn, and she tells us that the traffic from the park, is a lot of locals, drove as far as Brooklyn, oh, not far, about 7 miles from home to the park.

One of the private parks near here is reporting business is WAY down, cept for Race weekend. Seeing that there are only 2 races a summer now at Michigan International Speedway, I hope she does not count on that to keep her business floating. GULP. What I hear tho, she is not experiencing the norm.

If you are working, young kids at home, you can afford a tent, even a really nice one and you can afford a few weekends a summer to get out and enjoy. If you are on a fixed income, it is a bit harder to do.

A number of Montana's out here where we live, they all seem to be sitting in the yards. I think the week we were in the state park with the twins we were the only Montana. The camp hosts that month owned a Big Horn. There were only a few other big rigs, most were tents, pop ups and travel trailers under 28 foot. The state park is not really set up for big rigs, their market is the smaller units, tents and popups.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 11:50 AM   #6
rps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6052
Was not us -- we went thru the North Hampton Tolls about 1:30pm on Thursday heading North to the Lewiston, ME area

We parked in the Seabrook Rest area next to a Monty heading back to Quebec.

We will be in Maine all week - staying at 3 different RV parks
rps is offline   Reply With Quote