Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-20-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Re-Shackle Complete!

Ok, Job completed...a lot of excuses but doesn't matter as this job was not for pay. Here's a pic and thank goodness we have some additional toys to make the job easier.
Toy #1 Air compressor and air gun
Toy #2 Porta power kit
Toy #3 Sears 4 ton jack
Pic...

Leftover's...

noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good job!! One less worry. That box of junk looks scary.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #3
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Don't throw that box of bolts and shackles away! They are worth about 8-9 Cents a pound right now at a scrap yard! Great price on scrap steel and all metals really! You did such a fine job on yours, I'd let you come over and try it on mine! Have everything you need except the porta power-- you'll have to bring that with you--Sorry!! All kidding aside-- you did a fine job and hope all works out well now!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Noneck,

Good job. But from the looks of some of those shackles they are completely broken! How did it stay on the road? It sure feels good when you get all that stuff done doesn't it.

Keep the box for show and tell. It will be a big hit at any Rally you might attend.

Glad you got the job done. Now go and fill up with fuel and hookup and hit the road!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Noneck - I just threw away my box full of ruined shackle parts today. Thought I would keep them for show & tell but can't justify the fuel it would cost to lug them around. Looks like a job well worth the effort - especially for peace of mind. What a difference when comparing the thickness of the original shackles and the replacement ones. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 AM   #6
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Out of curiosity how old in miles and years are the original shackles.I'm just curious when I have to do mine.I have a 2005 and am returning form Fl for the second time to NY.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Good job and good pictures! Congrats. You've got to feel very satisfied and have renewed confidence in the rig, now. For Gary's question, mine "failed" after 25k miles. Keep an eye on them. You can see when the holes elongate and the bolt is no longer centered! Like noneck, I had one that was completely worn through,
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:04 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mine started showing some significant wear at about 20K. Remember that it is very difficult to see the wear. You almost need to actually back off the bolt a bit to see the wear. So when looking either have someone who knows what to look for or inspect them VERY carefully.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Good job. Those old shackles really do look scary. We had shackles go bad on our 3295 but this 3400 so far looks ok, best I can see without removing the bolts. On our 3295 I saw the elongated holes just using a flashlight. With 15k miles on this 3400 it's about time I start checking more frequently. Thanks for the pictures.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 AM   #10
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I Just changed the shackles on my Mountaineer this weekend. I also had one that one worn through. Mine lasted about 20,000 miles. It wouldnt hurt to check them every spring before the season starts. As they wear I would think it might also cause extra wear on the tires. The inside tread on a few of my tires were worn.
Now that all is fixed I should be ok for the season.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
I bought my trailer used and one of the downsides of this is trailers have no odometer...and if well kept your left without a clue to pending shackle failure.

I discovered the failure on a short weekend winterize trip, when I noted the unit leaning to the the curbside after parking it into the campsite.

$7.50 spent to restore the one broken shackle...held breath on return trip to home, Dexter online order arrived and waited till this spring to put my mental anguish behind me.

Dexter heavey duty kit install was not too bad...but compressor/impact wrench is the ONLY way to do an "older" rig change-out.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:54 PM   #12
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
You are right, noneck. I did the first one with open end and box end wrenches. At least two nuts on each side were extremely challenging. On the Goshen demo with Charlie, we had an impact wrench and it was a world of difference.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 04:18 AM   #13
Merv
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1001
I agree with Noneck. Its much easier with a impact wrench.
I had one bolt that would not come loose even with the impact. The bolt finally broke so that was Ok.
I had gotten my replacement shackles at Redneck Trailer Supply.
The shackles were about $1 each and the bolts were about $1.50 each.
I always carry a complete extra set of shacles and 1 extra leaf spring just in case.
I previously had a Keystone Cougar that had one leaf that kept breaking. I had replaced it twice, so I learned to carry a spare. It saved my butt once.
Merv
Merv is offline   Reply With Quote