Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2008, 02:28 PM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
2007 Big Sky Lights over door and table

A heads up for 2007 Big Sky owners.

Check that the pewter "ball" on top of each of the lights above the table and door are tight. We had one loosen while underway and get stuck under the kitchen slide. Dented the linoleum and was hard to get out from under the slide. Also hard to reconnect to the light. We do check them from time to time as we noticed that they get loose. We'll need to check them more often.

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
David

Not sure what those lights are like, but, we have used plumbers tape on some of ours to hold them in place. We had one behind the couch that the glass came off several times, one time we found on the floor, luckily in one place. Al put that plumbers tape around the globe, put back on the base, tightened those little knobs, and it has never been a problem since.

Also did on our ceiling fan (NOT OEM equipment), which has 3 lights with globes. Again, no problem.

Good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #3
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Good idea Carol, we found one of the bronze balls on the top step from our bronze ceiling fixture. At first we didn't know were it came from until we saw one of the globes dangling by the wires. I'm glad ours didn't get caught in the slide, Jo-Anna, I guess I need to check more often. I wonder if we can get those balls from the manufacturer, ours could have very easily rolled out the door at a stop and be gone forever.
Sharon
krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks Jo-Anna, just went and tightened ours and found a science project on the one inside the front door.

Where are you guys and what are your plans for the next month or two?
Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:50 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
"Science Project" - yes - that's what it was like returning the ball to the fixture once we retrieved it from under the slide.

We are in Humboldt Redwoods State Park in Myers Flat, CA and heading to Klamath tomorrow for about a week. Then we head up through Oregon and Washington. Need to meet friends in Dawson Creek on June 1.

Maybe we will see you along the way.

Jo-Anna
Old 04-16-2008, 02:53 PM   #6
bjlks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4218
Thanks for the info,checked ours and found two of them loose,will add this our check list when departing.
bjlks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:25 PM   #7
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
JoAnna,

That is exactly what happened to us on Monday. John took the rig back to the dealer for some warranty work and when he was opening the slides to show the dealer the problems, they found one of the balls under the slide-out and it dented the linoleum. John says it does not look too bad, but I have not seen it yet. I wish I had thought about tightening these lights sooner. So we both know they can mess up the kitchen floor. Enjoy your trip. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Hi Karen,

Funny, the first thing I noticed was the dent in the linoleum, not bad - just the way the light hit it - then I saw the ball under the slide. Not any damage so to speak. We'll be checking those lights every time we leave and arrive from now on.

Hope to see you on the road in Alaska!!!!!

Jo-Anna
Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 AM   #9
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Hi Jo-Anna,

John says he is going to tighten ours up and put a drop of silicon on them. Don't know if that will work or not, I will have to see it when we get it back. I just thought it was quite amazing that it happened in the same week. I have been trying to think of a heads up I could give you, but can not think of anything. We are leaving for Alaska the first week of June, but will probably stop in Montana a few days so will probably be a couple weeks behind you. Karen

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 08:26 AM   #10
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
How about a little Teflon tape around the threads? Would have to replace it when you take it apart but that won't happen very often. Or a drop of light weight Thread-Locker.

Dick
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote