Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2007, 09:12 AM   #1
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Black tank flush

Was taking my first stab at winterizing this thing today. Thanks to previous help, all went well, except. Double checking all the lines for the antifreeze, I notice two that does not have any. After tracing them they are from the black tank flush. The line from the flush inlet goes to some kind of valve under the bathroom sink, and a seperate line goes from this valve to the black tank. I pumped antifreeze threw the inlet, and watched it drain back into the black tank. This leaves the line empty. WHY would a black tank flush not go directly into the black tank. Again, this is my 4th new camper, but never seen anything like this. Could somebody explain?

TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:28 AM   #2
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
The valve is an anti-siphon valve to keep black tank "stuff" from entering the city fresh water supply.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #3
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Still don't understand. If the black tank flush went directly into the black tank, how would it enter the fresh water system?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:21 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Not the fresh water system of the trailer, but the city water system. It's supposed to prevent any chance of backflow out of the black tank, through the hose, and into the city water system. There was another thread on this valve a couple of weeks ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Look Here
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=24736
Old 11-08-2007, 12:14 PM   #5
TLG
Established Member

M.O.C. #7828
Thanks LonnieB. After reading your response and talking with my service department, I think I get it. Like I previously posted, the TT I traded was almost 7 years old. Some things have changed on this new unit. We've had so many problems initially, I'm just a little gun shy of anything I don't recognize. Thanks to a great service department, I think we finally got most of the bugs worked out. Too bad the camping seasons over here.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Camping season over? Holy smokes, we are going out this weekend with snow and/or rain forecast. Unfortunately it will be our last for a while as my wife must have surgery in a couple of weeks.

I will watch for the same winterization problem you had.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Glad to hear you got it all worked out TLG, I'm not sure I understand how all this stuff works either, but I do understand the people on this forum can and will help with any problem that may arise.

Sorry to hear your camping season is cut short, but if it's any consolation, ours may be too. There's just not enough time to work AND play, oh well someday............

Jim, have fun this weekend, and we wish your wife a successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:47 PM   #8
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Thank you Lonnie.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim Jarvis

Camping season over? Holy smokes, we are going out this weekend with snow and/or rain forecast. Unfortunately it will be our last for a while as my wife must have surgery in a couple of weeks.

I will watch for the same winterization problem you had.
Same here!!! We go rain or snow!!! The best times is around a campfire watching our sneakers melt after a few too many toddies. The air is crisp, the sky is clear, the parks are empty and the deer are out!!! We love "Winter" camping but then again I'm running the AC at home this evening because it was almost 90 degrees today.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:31 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Others explained what those lines and the checkvalve are for. I'd just like to add that you do not need to winterize the black tank flush lines.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote