Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #1
wersqu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5683
Air filter

I just picked up a new TV for me. A 2006 Chevy diesel. In the past I have used a K & N and Amsoil drop in replacement air filters designed to flow a lot more air than the stock filter. Are the newer complete air flow systems that much better than just the drop in high performance filters? There is a significant price difference. Advise/opinions please. Thanks, Tim & Cathy.

wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Don't do it!
Ever since I bought my Duramax I've been reading over at the Diesel Place Forums to learn.
These filters (K&N) are throwing codes and giving the owners mucho problems.
They are saying the stock filters are doing very well if not better than the after market. Some are modifying the air boxes for a little better air flow, but that's about it.

BTW - that forum will cost you some money too...they really like their trucks and mod the heck out of them.
Congrats on the new ride!
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 04:29 PM   #3
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Agree with Ozzie on this one...have not done as much reading but feel the performance I have on my stock rig just needs to be refreshed per the Maintenance schedule to keep it dragging the load I put on it.
I have concerns that improving the intake flow w/o increasing the filter surface area which means there is a compromise in the filter membrane density and allows undesirables to enter the engine.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #4
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
My 350 is an '02, however, when I checked with my ministry assistant's husband, a diesel mechanic, the only thing he said he would change is the air filter and he would go to a K & N. So I did. He also thought my idea of the PacBrake was a good one.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 07:52 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Do your research on K&N filters. Tests have proven that the factory GM air filter does a better job than the K&N.

I also agree with Ozzie; dieselplace.com has a wealth of information.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 10:13 AM   #6
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
I agree with what Sky and Ozzie said. An extensive test was done by some users on the diesel forum, and the OEM was the best filter for the DuraMax. I did open my airbox up a bit, then put a mod made by one of the guys on the dieselplace.com forum on it. It's a boot that surrounds part of the airbox and makes it pull all air in fresh from outside the engine compartment. Works well.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
This has been discussed before on this form. K&N are OK for gas but tests have shown that be careful on diesels. That also includes Ford and Dodge.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
For most trucks the stock filter will pass more air than the engine needs. If you have a 4in exhaust and are making more power than stock like around 400hp an aftermarket filter will help keep the power up and the EGT down.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:48 AM   #9
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
When I bought my new 06 dodge 1 ton diesel I checked with the dealer ship and the head mechanic stated that he had a chip in his new truck and stated there isn't any problem with them. He had heard that there was problems with the Fords and the chips but nothing with the dodges.
Has anybody heard different?? any place to go and read more about this. I got the Triple Doge Chip in mine. No fuel improvement or loss but better power towing the Monty.
Allen in MT
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #10
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
forgot to add that I also put the k & n type filter in after checking with the mechanic at the dealership
Allen
Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:23 AM   #11
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I am running a Tymar aftermarket filter system on my truck. It use a donaldson filter. Last time I changed it, it was very clean on the inside of the filter. At the time I bought it, it was about $150. Was easy to install.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:17 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I have alwyas used K&N air filters but in a conversation with K&N they said that the OEM air filter on the 05 V10 was just as good as the K&N filter.. They do not make one for the 08 6.4L.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I am going to put the Banks 4" Cat Bak Monster Exhaust on my truck Tuesday. Because of the reduced back pressure I am also going to go to the AFE Cold Air Intake CX Pro-Dry Filter with heat shield. My truck will also be getting Ride Rite Air Bags and a tuner. I have been studing and reading for some time. I am looking at 3 different tuners the Hypertech, Predator and the Edge Attitude. All three have tow tunes and I am getting allot of feedback that the Hypertech tuner is very smooth. I am also hearing allot that the Predator 2.02 tuner is very good as well. But I am leaning towards the Hypertech.
I also test drove a 08 GMC 3500HD Duramax Dually and liked the power and ride but I don't feel that the increased power and ride are all that much different than my 05 Duramax. Further the 08 has some of the things I am about to do to my unit that will most likely bring it very close to the performance of the 08 of course not the weight capacity. The 08 has the 4" exhaust and a cold air intake system which GM introduced in 06 a year later than my truck. I will let anyone who cares know how it goes. I am expecting some EGT drops and I have been recording driving situations at present and the EGT's at that speed and boost setting to see what the differences amount to.
I have considered the CAI Mod to the Duramax air box but some very experienced deisel mechanics have said that increasing the size of the exhaust will make the intake change more beneficial. That until that is done the intake on the Duramax is as good as it needs to be. Another thing that All of these add up to more HP and torque and lower EGT's at the same fuel setting. Although I am not looking to increase anything significantly my goal is to bring HP to about 40-50 HP more and torque about an additional 100 ft lbs. All within the limits of my Allison and Duramax. The exhaust and intake should help increase HP a slight amount but reduce EGT's some as well.
I am looking forward to it. I got some of these suggestions from longtime towers pulling for money. And the mods they have made to improve thier vehicles and even gain some MPG to boot.
Nothing I am about to do cannot be undone. I am even going to try the set up with out the tuner first to see if just the improvement from the exhaust and intake might do what I would like with out any other mod's.
Bob
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 12:51 PM   #14
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I know where you've been reading...
Scary thing is, I understood everything you posted as I have too.
I'd be very interested in your results.
I am most interested in a less restrictive exhaust to go with a couple gauges...so you go first...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote