Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-22-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Toilet not holding water

Our 3400RL is almost a year old. Our toilet no longer holds water between flushes. We have tried to clean the ball well, but no help. Is something broken/damaged? What are possible causes, and what are the fixes? Thanks.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Probably a bad valve seal. The toilet has a clamp that holds the two parts together at the ball valve. The seal is in there. Ours was bad when we got the RV. The dealer provided me a new seal, and I installed. About 15 minute job at the most. Sort of pricey though; seems it was marked over $50 on the package.

Oh, and one more thing. Our service tech told us to lubricate the seal with Vaseline occasionally. Said the petroleum helps swell the seal and keep it sealing good.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 01:36 PM   #3
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We had that problem too. Only it would fill again by itself. Then the water would leak out, fill again, leak out again. Finally we took it to the dealer.
Now it justs leaks at the bottom of the toilet. When we get home ----- back to the dealer for a new toilet.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
You might try this, it worked for us. Fully open the valve holding your foot on the pedal, let your foot slip off so that the valve snaps closed. Do this a couple of times. Hope it works for you.
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:04 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
With rubber gloves on take the vaseline jar that you no longer use and with a big glop on your finger rub it around the bottom of the opening with your foot on the peddle to open the hatch get that rubber gasket good and lubed and now flush it a dozen times , then do it again and now rub in in good , now it will work john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:24 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
A while back, don't I remember that there was a bad batch of seals, or something and that the manufacturer (vendor, not Keystone) was replacing them?

I think I remember that

Give em a call???
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Carol,

Good memory, they replaced ours after a phone call.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 12:59 AM   #8
CamprNick
Established Member

M.O.C. #7377
We also are having the same problem. Talked with the dealer and they told us that ours was dry rotted because of not having anigreeze in the actual bowl. We now have the correct part after they had given us the wrong part (isn't that usually how things work, so husband will be installing new seals this after noon, so this should fix our problem. Dealer did also tell us about the vaseline. He said that it will help things seal. Our seal replacement was also $50
CamprNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 AM   #9
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I suspect your toilet is by Sealand. Last year sealand put out a fix for this problem and said it was a defect. All we had to do was call them and they sent us a new complete valve system with a improved seal and valve, free of charge . If you do not have sealand's phone number, call customer service at Keystone and they will give you the number. It is a free part, or it was last year. We tried all the oils, vaseline, cleaning etc, but the new part fixed it for ever, so far.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We had the same problem with a Sealand toilet. I also called them and they sent out an new valve assembly free of charge, but I have not installed it yet.

I found that by opening the valve with my foot, I can take the toilet brush and rotate it to clean off the seal. I slowly allow the valve to close while rotating the brush....has worked for quite a while now.

You might give that a try. Just fixed ours yesterday. It is now holding water again.

By applying waterproof grease, it helps lubricate the rubber seal, and helps stuff from getting stuck on the seal.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same here. They told me a "few" units got out of the factory with a defective springpack. They sent me a new springpack and seals. It's an easy fix. You don't even have to endure an open pipe to the toilet as the ball valve remains on the bottom section while you remove the top section to replace the springpack. It worked well for us.

SeaLand's number is 800.321.9886

A tip - The two new seals, combined, are thicker than the old ones, at least on our toilet. After I put it back together we had a lot of creaking when sitting on the pot. Not me creaking, the toilet! SeaLand thought they'd sent the wrong seals so sent a new set. Same thing. Finally I figured out the seals need to compress. So I had Vicki sit on the toilet lid while I tightened down the clamp. That solved the creaking problem.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:36 PM   #12
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Same here. They told me a "few" units got out of the factory with a defective springpack. They sent me a new springpack and seals. It's an easy fix. You don't even have to endure an open pipe to the toilet as the ball valve remains on the bottom section while you remove the top section to replace the springpack. It worked well for us.

SeaLand's number is 800.321.9886

A tip - The two new seals, combined, are thicker than the old ones, at least on our toilet. After I put it back together we had a lot of creaking when sitting on the pot. Not me creaking, the toilet! SeaLand thought they'd sent the wrong seals so sent a new set. Same thing. Finally I figured out the seals need to compress. So I had Vicki sit on the toilet lid while I tightened down the clamp. That solved the creaking problem.
Now there is a Kodak moment Wife on the throne and DH on his knees with a wrench. (still laughing)
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I had the same problem and called the vender,They sent a new seal right out and I replaced it myself.Works well now.

texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 04:37 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigmurf

Now there is a Kodak moment Wife on the throne and DH on his knees with a wrench. (still laughing)
Old 07-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Ok, here goes our ignorance again. . . plese bear with us. Are the toilets supposed to have water in them (in the bowl) at all times? We thought they were like "marine (or airplane) heads" and stayed dry except when flushing the water would come in and "wash everything away". On ours, this is the way it's been since we got it, it has never HELD water in the bowl. Am I misunderstanding something here or is this something we need to get checked out? If there is supposed to be standing water in the bowl, do you just be sure to empty it before traveling (we can just imagine the mess of water slopping out of the bowl going down the road). Thanks for the clarification, Sue C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:51 AM   #16
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by texdeano

I had the same problem and called the vender,They sent a new seal right out and I replaced it myself.Works well now.

I did the same thing, they sent a kit for free.

The amount of water left in the bowl is only a few inches, and causes no mess while driving.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 10:09 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
It should have water in it at all times, including when winterized and stored for the winter. When winterized, pour some antifreeze in the water. You don't want the seal to dry out.

I learned something more on ours. We "sprung" a leak from the bowl again after installing the new seals. The toilet is in two pieces. The bowl is the upper and the base with valve is in the lower section. There are two clamps around the center section of the toilet, where the two sections meet. The two seals go between the base and the bowl. These two clamps are held on by what looks like a large radiator clamp. I had tightened that radiator clamp with a large screwdriver, as tight as I could get it. That's not tight enough. The toilet leaked. I guess the first clue is when sitting on the pot it would creak loudly. I had to use a 3/16" socket on that clamp screw to further tighten it down. So far it isn't leaking (only a few hours). It also no longer creaks.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:51 AM   #18
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Same here, call Sealand. The replacement has worked fine for us.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 06:43 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have found that the smallest amount of debris in and around the seal will cause it to not hold water.You may not be able to see anything but a good cleaning will usually solve the problem.Helen bought some sort of a wierd brush that does the job.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, could you or Helen give a bit more description of this "weird brush?" I just don't wanna go into a store and ask if they have a weird brush, ya know? Thanks.