Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Rich

M.O.C. #6714
landing gear motor fell off

When it was time to take the 5th wheel off the truck, The motor to the landing gear fell right off the wall.With a large clamp I was able to tempory contct it back onto where it should be but only the passenger side leg works.My home is just one year old,hopfully this will be covered under the warenty. Has anyone else ahd this problem??

Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:53 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rich,
There have been some reports of loose motors but I think your's may be the very first to actually fall off! Sorry to hear that. I know some folks have had to replace the motors because they wouldn't lift properly. There's another thread on this subject right now. And there are some threads that are much older.

Should be covered by warranty. We've got an '02 model and never had any trouble with motor.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
Russ and Sandy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #561
Ours is a very early 03 and the second time out, I heard this awful noise during operation of the landing gear. The bolts holding the motor had fallen out and the only thing holding it was the wiring.

I happened to have a C-clamp which I used to temporarily secure it. The dealer took care of it and said that he had seen some that fell all the way off after ripping the wires loose.

We've had no problems since.
Russ and Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 AM   #4
mustang92
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6132
Rich,my motor didn't fall off, but after I took delivery, I noticed that some of the bolts were loose and I could actually move the motor around a little. I was just lucky to have noticed. Probably another one of those things that should be tightened from time to time.
mustang92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
When we had the 2980rl the motor came loose and quit raising the jacks but sure did make a lot of noise. I tightened the bolts (screws?) and never had another problem. When the motor mounting bolts are tight, it will still move around a bit.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
My motor bolts loosen all the time. I just keep everything I can tightened down through normal inspections. I inspect my rig a lot since it is getting old and takes a lot of punishment and vibration on the road.

But my motor has never come off.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:58 PM   #7
Rich

M.O.C. #6714
Thanks Everyone,
What happen was the shaft that raises and lowers the londing gear broke. With 15 days to go before it was out of warenty they had no problem fixing it. I bought this from Alpin Haus from Wilton NY and with 20 other things on the list to fix while in for this repair, they didn't even blink an eye when it was time for them to say
No Charge don't you just love those words. I give them a 10 in service, there the best....
Happy Trails Rich
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:35 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Glad you got it fixed Rich!

I'm sure glad this is not an airplane Forum! Just my luck to hear the pilot call back and say the landing gear motor fell off and we have to belly in!
[IMAGE]http://www.emotihost.com/glass/13.gif[/IMAGE]
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #9
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
While doing my usual inspections today before our trip this week, I remember this posting and looked at my landing gear motor it was very loose too! Am I mistaken but are there only two bolt that actually hold the motor on? Is this a common problem? All I could do is tighten it down as much as i could. Guess I better start to make a comprehensive maintenance list for the Monty.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 AM   #10
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Nice heads-up.

Just checked mine and they are tight. I can only see two self-tapping screws on the front side of the base plate. Are there more on the back side? Tried to move the plate by hand and there is no movement. Is that all there is to it?
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 11:10 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The pre departure check list gets longer and longer..but worth the time.. I could be mistaken..some of the school bus drivers out there correct me but I think there are 93 items on the pre trip checklist for a school bus????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mustang92

Rich,my motor didn't fall off, but after I took delivery, I noticed that some of the bolts were loose and I could actually move the motor around a little. I was just lucky to have noticed. Probably another one of those things that should be tightened from time to time.
This last trip out this past weekend, I blew the 40 amp fuse on my 07 and noticed also that the landing gear motor is loose in its mounts. I tried tightening the bolts and they are already tight. Noticing others saying the same thing, is this not the way it is intended to be? The bottom bolts are out somewhat farther then the top but tight. They appear to be sholder bolts. I assumed this was to reduce binding. Does anyone know for sure if this installation is intended?
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:52 AM   #13
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
The 2 bolts on my landing gear motor were extremely loose probably would fall out sooner or later, I can't believe that this is a normal condition.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 06:21 AM   #14
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

The 2 bolts on my landing gear motor were extremely loose probably would fall out sooner or later, I can't believe that this is a normal condition.
Wobbly motor appears to be normal, but not loose bolts. Bolts should be tight.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote