Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Cummins And ULS Diesel Fuel

FWIW, I found this on the RV Forum...the subject is lift pump leakage due to Ultra Low Sulfer diesel fuel. Pertains to trucks (with Cummins engines) that were using LS fuel then changed to ULS fuel. Don't know anything about it, other than what's on the link:

http://www.blueridgediesel.com/CUMMINS%20TSB_082905[1].pdf

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is just one of the many problems that seem to be arising from the new ULSD fuel. Still trying to get all the facts on the Duramax as well.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Did you notice the date on that, Aug 2005.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Bert - I think this new fuel is going to effect all the Diesels,,,I believe in protecting things but I think the tree huggers have went to far and anyone with a good old diesel is going to suffer. I have been adding 6 oz of amsoil additive for lubrications purposes just in case.....I think Ford, GM and Dodge should come out with some additional information for the Diesel owners, before we start getting damage that could be prevented. just my 2cents worth John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 02:53 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One of the primary reasons that we went with the Gas motor in 05.We need to see how all this shakes out before we go to a diesel motor.Interesting note. Pumped 5 gals of ULSD into a can for home use yesterday, use it to fuel a torpedo heater.
1. it is very Yellow, about the same color as..as.....well it is very Yellow..and..it smells...good, I could not believe it. I don't think it smells like diesel fuel at all knew that our busses smelled better but I never took a good smell of the fuel.2.The new diesel motors are quiet..so,, they don't smell like a diesel and they don't sound like a diesel,,they are like..like...well a gas motor. What will all the macho types who buy a diesel because it sounds like a can full of ball bearings and think smelling like diesel fuel is cool think about that??? For me the better smell and less noise are all the more reason to buy one..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Right on Rich And what about all that black smoke blowing out of the pipe when we put the pedal to the metal - are we going to have to give that up too? Quite engines, no smell, no smoke, man they are taking all the fun out of owning a diesel.
Montana Sky - I too have been trying to get some straight answers out of the GM people. Seems like who you talk to you get different answers. Sometimes I think they are wanting the engines to have problems. Job security for their mechanics I guess since they say that this Duramax is one of the most trouble free so far.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM   #7
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I guess I have to plead ignorance on this topic and that scares me because I own an '04 Cummins. Is there a place I can go on this Forum or other WEB site to get the Readers Digest version of what is happening with Diesel fuel and how I can know what I am pumping into my Dodge? I live in the great Northeast if that makes any difference.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 03:00 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I just put the first 20 gallons of ULSD in my 05 Duramax and haven't noticed any difference as yet.

Phill, Neither of my Duramax ever blew smoke and believe me when I say I do hammer it quite often. Occasionally I do like to shove the pedal to the metal especially when I have some SOB sitting next to me at the light. I will say I have seen a number of Cummins blow smoke like a locomotive. Thankfully I was in front of them when it happened.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:42 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been behind Duramax's blowing smoke as well as Powerstrokes and Cummins. But what I'm hearing is that if you see a visible trail of smoke when running ULSD then that's an indication of an engine problem. I have no facts, just what I read.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 08:49 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have sure blown my fair share of smoke trails with my Duramax. It is most noticeable at night when there is a car behind you with their lights on.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:17 PM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

Any update from your GM people on additives? Just a reminder to let us know if you hear anything.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 02:42 PM   #12
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Most all of the trucks that blow heavy black smoke are running a programmer.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
They left a message while I was out of town last week. Will try and get a call into GM tomorrow or Wed. How is your new Duramax doing??? Rolled 1,000 miles on that baby yet?
Old 11-27-2006, 04:36 PM   #14
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sky,

Nah, I've only got about 250 on it. We're supposed to have a little weather the next couple days and Annette said I was going to get it dirty and I told her no I wasn't, I'd drive her car to work instead.

I'm loving it though, got my bug screen and the SS nerf bars installed and having the bed liner sprayed on next week, over the rails, then I only have to have the hitch and brake controller installed.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #15
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
I bought my 2007 3500 diesel 9-5-06 and oly have 1200 miles on it. Just got my first tank of ULSD last week and not sure if I should drive it without putting one of the additives in it. Guess I'll have to talk to the service manager at Kendall Chevrolet in Eugene if I should use an additive. Too bad someone didn't know the right answer.Not crazy about adding $6.00 to every tank of fuel if it doesn't need it. But I also want to protect my investment. Hopefully the right answer will come in the near future. Good luck everyone.
bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #16
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
In my humble opinion this subject been flogged to death. I should think the designers of the engine saw this comming and built it accordingly, and the only additives a thinking person would put in would be a stabilizer to keep the fuel from stagnating. Since my truck is only used to pull the 5er, when we're home it gets a dose. We won't often run a tank of fuel through it between trips.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 07:27 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
Sounds like the truck is coming along! Enjoy!

Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 AM   #18
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Got my first tank of ULS Sunday. Took 34 gallons in a 36 gallon tank (Dodge 3500 DRW) -- I was in Salina KS where fuel is 12 cents per gal cheaper than home. In any case, didn't notice any difference in mileage or power; however, when I came off the interstate and then floored it to come back up to speed on the next road I didn't get the usual black smoke as before. (Had gone to dealer about the black smoke before and tech said it was from the system 'loading up' with carbon, etc from running at a constant speed on the interstate; as well as the fuel that went in during my exit / stop / turn onto the new road. Gave the example of water running down the gutter in the street - if the water is running at a constant speed, sand (dirt) will deposit on the bottom in patterns. When I accelerated from the stop, my RPM went up much higher (much like using a hose with sprayer on the end) and it caused the carbon (dirt) to be pushed out. Hence the black / grayish smoke we see. Made sense to me given the example he used and the carbon build-up I see on my exhaust tip. Oh well, once again I ramble. The bottom line is that I didn't see the same black smoke with the ULS fuel; hopefully don't have any fuel system problems either. Dealer did say that they are replacing a lot more filters in the past couple of weeks as all stations around here have started getting ULS into their tanks. The station I fueled at this Sunday just met requirements to placard their pumps as ULS (i.e. they don't have the 500 PPM label anymore - they have pushed enough fueld through their tanks to qualify as ULS in total!!). My local fuel point owner says he will probably meet specs in late Dec or January. Until then, if I fuel there I will get a varying mixture moving from 500 ppm down to 15ppm. Confusing
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:53 AM   #19
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
mac,
Here is the official stand GM is taking on the new fuel. "The new ULSD fuel does not meet the required lubrication and additive content required for proper lubrication of the Duramax at time of production. Fuel companies are "supposed" to be adding the proper amounts of additives to properly lubricate the motor. This is to be done before distribution of the fuel. Once the proper additives have been added at the depot, no further additives or action is needed to be performed by the consumer. The retail merchant is to be dipping and testing their fuel to make sure the centane level and lubricity is within guidelines."

To sum this up: "We" are not required to add anything to the fuel for use in the Duramax.

I have a different opinion...
Old 11-28-2006, 10:09 AM   #20
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I'd be (no -- I am) curious as what these 'additives' are that the wholesaler is to add (guess they mean the wholesaler - I can't imagine a retailer adding it once it is in the ground and getting it dispersed evenly in a timely manner ). Guess time will tell.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote