Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 10-29-2006, 02:09 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Alt. route east for I 10 in Louisiana ?

Working on our trip to Florida after we leave the RGV. Last year we traveled I 10 and it was major bumpy and rough road through most of Louisiana.
I'm wondering if anyone has traveled US 190 between Beaumont, TX, Kinder, LA, and Baton Rouge, LA. Looks like it pretty much parallels I 10.
Looks like I could meet up with I 12 then and pick up I 10 on into MS, and Florida.
Don't really want to go as far north as I 20 and I'm not familiar with that road condition either.

thanks,

jerry

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 04:52 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Don't blame you for looking for an alternative route. They sure know how to build bridges in LA but they don't know how to build roads. I can't offer a suggestion, but I will be watching this thread for another route.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:07 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Friends, I can't help very much, but maybe if I start others can fill in other parts of the puzzle.

We regularly take US 190 from Opelusas, LA to Baton Rouge but the reason for us is that it is a more direct route for us (coming from the North of I-49). I'm not sure the road surface is better than that on I-10 for this section or not--have my doubts.

It might be relevant to know WHERE on I-10 the really bad sections are located. I have not found I-12 from Baton Rouge to the state line to be bad at all, except when there was construction and the traffic was backed up.

As for I-20 there is one bad surface just East of Shreveport. Still, for us, that is our major route East/West and we just slow down for those few miles.

We often travel state highways, and have found US 84 to be an excellent East/West route across Mississippi, but that would be too far North to serve very well from Beaumont to Florida.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote